Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Hodgepodge time again

It's Tuesday - and Hodgepodge time again.  I really mean to write on my blog more often but thankfully I have the Hodgepodge to get me here at least once a week!

Here are this week's questions, and my answers.

1. The first week of August is National Simplify Your Life Week...what's one thing you could do this week to qualify as a participant? 

I have been on a bit of a cleaning craze the past couple of days since it's been a while and I have some company arriving soon.  Along with cleaning, I am "straightening" and occasionally throwing things away.  So, I think that counts as doing something to simplify my life.  If nothing else, it "frees" my mind from looking at a messy house and knowing I need to do something about it.  I feel better when my house is in order and clean.

2.  It's also National Peach Month...peach pie, peach cobbler, or please pour me a bellini? What's your peach pleasure?

Unfortunately when I had allergy testing done some years ago peaches showed up as something I react too.  Therefore I have taken them out of my diet.  Sad, isn't it?  Especially when I happen to live in the "peach state" of South Carolina!   But, if I were to treat myself and not worry about an itchy mouth, I'd have some warm peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream on top!

3. Eleanor Roosevelt once wrote, "Do one thing every day that scares you."  Agree or disagree...   explain. 

I get where Mrs. Roosevelt was coming from, BUT I do not agree with her statement.  I do not want to live day to day with fear, or anxiety.  I think she made the statement to encourage people to live outside their normal routine (outside the box) as a way to continue to learn and to expand life's experiences.  I get that.  But, no thanks...it's not for me.

4.  What's your favorite household chore?  Yes, you have to name one. 

My favorite chore is vacuuming because it quickly makes a difference.  (Unfortunately my pug does NOT agree and barks each and every time I turn on the machine!)  I definitely like seeing a freshly vacuumed carpet!   Doing the laundry is probably the easiest... and cleaning bathrooms ranks at the bottom of my list of household chores.

5.  Fodors recently listed (what they've dubbed) the ten most beautiful sunset spots in America.   They are:   Butterfly Beach in Santa Monica CA, Mount Haleakala in Maui HI, Old Fort Marcy Park in Santa Fe NM, Santa Monica Pier CA, Gay Head in Martha's Vineyard MA, Ensign Peak in Salt Lake City UT, and Mallory Square in Key West, FL.

Have you seen the sun set from any of these spots?  If you could choose to watch the sun set this weekend from one spot on the Fodors List, which would you choose?  Where's the prettiest sunset you've ever seen? 

I have been to some of the locations on the Fodors List, but not at sunset.  In fact, I was up on top of Mt. Haleakala for sun RISE, not sunset.  Hubby and I were there with a group from his job many years ago and we got driven up the mountain in the dark, saw the sun rise, then biked down the mountain, stopping along the way to see pineapple farms, and have lunch, etc.  It was a fun experience!

Of the places listed, I know West Coast sunsets are awesome over the ocean, but I think I would pick Key West.  I have been there, and I enjoy the place - and I'm an East Coast kinda girl!

I enjoy many gorgeous sunsets right here.  We have a deck on the 2nd story of our house that faces west, and looks over old rice plantation fields.  I gotta say seeing the sun set through some spanish moss in the lowcountry is pretty awesome!

6.  What's your favorite or most use app? 

Definitely "Words with Friends"!  I play with quite a few people, and play everyday.  I also use the Weather Channel app often, checking out the radar for pop-up storms, etc.

7.  We've recently passed the halfway mark for 2013... write a seven word sentence that sums up the year so far. 

I have learned to enjoy each day!

8. My random thought.

I have my "bestie" girlfriend coming to visit tomorrow for a few days.  We met in college, and became apartment roomies once we graduated.  Then jobs, and men, and families separated us geographically - BUT we have remained always in touch through the years.  We see each other only once a year now but we pick right up and enjoy time together when we do get together.  Do you have a friend like that?  It's a life blessing!







5 comments:

  1. I remember being really addicted to words with friends at one point. I just love the game of scrabble so to have an app for it was great!!! My sister would quite happily have your Pug - in fact it's at the top of her bucket list to own one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stoppin' by from the Hodgepodge.

    I'm an 'East Coast Kinda' Girl', too. I'm from your neighboring state of Georgia.

    Yes, I have one of the kinds of friends that you spoke of. She lives in Savannah, and I plan to visit her tomorrow! We've been friends for over 43 years. We may not see each other but once or twice a year, but when we do, it's like no time at all has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like vacuuming too, it makes you sweat especially when its a cold winter day. oh i love words with friends and hanging with friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love catching up with long time friends! Have a great time with your bestie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhhhh, enjoy your friend...fun times!!

    ReplyDelete