Well, I'm back at the Hodgepodge today. I missed a couple of weeks. I'm glad to be here, and answering the following random questions.
1. 'Slow and steady wins the race'...tell us about a time this was true in your own life.
In this generation it seems like much, often too much, comes at us very fast! We get everything in a quick click, or a fast download. We ask Alexa a question and she responds. We text an order and it's to our door overnight.
So, learning to be patient, and waiting for something good to come, or to be 'earned,' is becoming a lost art.
I'm thinking back to times of slow and steady in my life. I suppose it has to do with child rearing. Remember how long a day could be back then? Even if it was active? Sometimes especially when it was active! Teaching a child, and raising one to be a good person, can take a lot of work - and a lot of love. It takes a slow, and steady pace... each and every day. The result doesn't "pay off" until you see an adult standing in front of you, and realize this person is smart and caring and funny!
Yes, raising a child (actually two) is a "long term project" but one of the best things I ever did!!
2. 'As slow as molasses'...Do you like molasses? How about maple syrup? Caramel? Butterscotch? What's your favorite of the slow moving treats mentioned here, and what's your favorite food made with that sweet treat?
Okay, I don't think I have ever had molasses. Seriously. But, I love maple syrup and caramel. Butterscotch can be overly sweet.
Even though I love maple syrup and caramel I can not remember the last time I poured it over pancakes or ice cream - or anything. It's been years! I don't have a sweet tooth, and when I do splurge on anything sweet as a treat it is usually made of chocolate.
3. Your favorite slow song?
"Look At Us" - by Vince Gill
4. Your favorite thing to make in a slow cooker or crock pot?
As I have said before, I am not a chef - or a lover of kitchen culinary time. So, about the only thing I have made in a crock pot is homemade chili.
Next Wednesday, I got 'volunteered' to make a children's soup for our Lenten Soup & Bread meal before the church service. Anybody have a great recipe or suggestion for something children will love? I may just buy cans of alphabet soup and pour them into the crock pot! ha
5. 'You may delay, but time will not.' ~Benjamin Franklin Are you more a hurrier or a delayer when it comes to unpleasant tasks that need doing? What are you currently either delaying or hurrying to get through this week or month?
I'm a bit of both. If it's a task I want done, then I will move on it quickly. But, if it's both unpleasant AND I don't really care about it, then I have been known to delay starting the task or project. If it's been 'assigned' to me.... I will sometimes wait a bit out of spite. (I'm bad.)
Thankfully, I can not think of an unpleasant task that needs done, at least one that I am responsible for right now. If there is one, then I must have put it out of my mind!?!
6. Tell us three things you encounter regularly or even just occasionally that you find to be annoyingly slow.
1. Traffic! Especially going up and down Highway 17, our main drag to get anywhere around here. Between the tourists, the elderly, and just rude drivers, the traffic moves under the speed limit too often. Grrrrr
2. My dogs when I take them on a walk....which is really just a sniff, stop, pee, and repeat adventure for them.
3. People in supermarkets, especially the ones with the cart parked in the middle of the aisle and they are lost in thought reading a label! I outwardly patiently stand there, waiting for them to acknowledge me and move aside. Inside, I'm not feeling so patient.
7. March is National Craft Month. Are you crafty? Tell us about something crafty you'll try in the next thirty one days. Or something crafty you'd like to try or wish you had the skill to make happen.
I am somewhat crafty. I used to enjoy doing crafts more in the past than now. I have tried lots of things and I certainly enjoy going on Pinterest to get lots of ideas. Yes, I "pin" them, but then never get around to actually making them.
What would I like to try? I can't think of anything off hand. I guess I better go check my Pinterest pages!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Interesting air today here! We have had warm temperatures for weeks now so our spring is arriving early - and so is the pollen! The past two days all the cars have become covered with yellow and green layers of it! And, today, we also have some purposeful fires set in areas nearby to clear out underbrush, etc. It's done here each year. But, the smoke is stagnant and just hanging in the air. It's a good day to stay indoors!
So, it's a good day to do the Hodgepodge!