Thursday, September 5, 2013

Trying to understand - and then praying.

Once again the United States, meaning our elected President and our Congress, is in the middle of talks to decide whether or not to get involved in the horrible situation in Syria.   I have been trying to listen to some of the discussions, to hear "both sides", so that I can understand that whatever decision is eventually made, I can somewhat get "why" it was made.

Those who know me know that I am a peace-maker and I REALLY, REALLY do not believe in engaging in any war. I do not believe in the "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" mentality.  In fact I think responding with fire power can be weak - and that restraining and negotiating is tougher and what we should always try to do.   I believe as an American, but more importantly as a Christian, that we are to love one another and to never bring harm to another human being. We are all God's children, individuals with a special reason on this earth.

But here we are in a situation (again) where a ruthless leader of another country has done inhumane things to his people, killing thousands - including children.   It is intolerable.  It is SO wrong...and  ignoring the horror in Syria can not continue.  I understand that.

There was an article in this morning's newspaper written by David Lightman of the Washington Bureau (side note:  he was my news-writing professor at Towson state University & at the time he wrote for the Baltimore Sun).  The headline of Mr. Lightman's article said "For members of Congress, vote on war is wrenching" and it went on to say that Congressmen and women are really struggling with what to do and are looking to religious leaders, to strategists, to anyone who can help them make the right decision.

I am glad they are reaching out. I am glad Congress men and women are feeling the anxiety over this. Okay, the cynic in me says part of why they are unsure is that they do not want to "pick" the wrong vote and lose their seat, and be ridiculed, and be embarrassed.  But I really hope they are above that.

If Congress and President Obama decide that some military force is the best way to stop the regime in Syria, I will get a huge lump in my throat and I  know my heart will ache. I will fear for the people of that land, especially the innocent so wrongly put in the middle.  I can not even imagine living in a land where getting through each day is so scary!  I will pray for physical safety, and pray for those who will carry the emotional scars of war.

This is not a black and white issue.  The decision is so very difficult.  To go to war or not... it's something I would NEVER want to have to decide.  So, yes, I pray for those in the position to have to decide, and I pray that peace will come quickly and  that in the end LOVE will win out.  




1 comment:

  1. I, too, hope love wins out. I believe we should NOT go to Syria. It isn't our fight.

    ReplyDelete