Friday, November 22, 2013

My holiday mantra

So, it's just a few days til Thanksgiving and then off we go with the season of craziness leading up to Christmas.  So now is the perfect time for me to remind myself to take each day as it comes, to enjoy the good things about this time of year - and to downplay (and not stress over) all the other "stuff" that goes on.

Here is my December mantra:  Enjoy the season!  Remember it really is all about the baby Jesus!

So, here are a few things I think are the good things about the season:

*The music!  I love hearing and playing the Christmas music!

* Getting family and friends together!   This is a double-edged sword.  It's one of the best parts of December, but it also increases my fret level. I want everything looking nice, and I want everyone to be happy when they are here in the house.  I put it on myself.  I realize it...   thus, the mantra...

Enjoy the season!  Remember it really is all about the baby Jesus!

* The Children's program at church.  Each Christmas I love watching the children portray the nativity story.  There is nothing better than watching young ones talk about baby Jesus!   I guess that's why the Charlie Brown Christmas Special is still my favorite!  So sweet - so beautiful!

* I love the decorations and the lights.   Again, it's a bit of a double-edged sword for me.  I do the decorating in the house and I want it to look pretty... and I am proud of my house all bright and festive for the season.  But, it's work.  And, as I put it up I think about how it all has to come down in a few weeks.

Mantra:  Enjoy the season!  Remember it really is all about the baby Jesus!

* The Christmas Eve candlelight service is the highlight of it all.  It's a tingly moment of joy! It's a celebration of God, and His love for us!  I can't imagine going through the season and not experiencing it.  I feel sorry for those who get caught up in all the hoopla of a secular Christmas but don't go to church and sing "Silent Night" followed by "Joy to the World".   So, I suggest to them...try it!  Hear the message!

I'm not a baker but I try and make some cookies and other goodies for Christmas. And, I'm not in love with shopping, even on a quiet day at the mall, so I do my best to buy gifts away from the crowds. I feel the pressure of finding the perfect gifts for loved ones.  I do the wrapping, and I stock the kitchen.  

Reminder...enjoy the season!   Remember it really is all about the baby Jesus!

Yep, I'll be repeating this mantra a lot in December.  

Here we go!









2 comments:

  1. I thought I was the only one with those thoughts! Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to write this & put it EVERYWHERE!!! I get so overwhelmed during the season!

    ReplyDelete