Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Keys to life...

This week's Hodgepodge mentions keys often.  It makes me think about a Pinterest idea I saw recently  for wedding receptions - yes, I'm in the wedding planning mode now.  I'm checking ideas, meeting with vendors, florists, etc.    The idea from Pinterest is to have a table at the reception filled with antique-looking keys with tags attached.  Wedding attendees can take a moment and write a "key to a successful marriage" on it. Kind of cute!    Maybe my daughter will like this idea!

In the meantime, here are the week's key questions.

1.  What would you say is the key to success?  

Success in life?   I think the key is to find ways that give you meaning for your life.  Don't waste your precious time on earth! So, work in a career that helps others, or volunteer when you can to better life for others.  In doing so, you improve this shared home we all live in - and you get a by-product of satisfaction and happiness.   You will have made a difference…big or small.  It all counts.  

2.  Have you ever been to the Florida Keys?  Any desire to visit that part of the US of A? 

Yes, I have been to the Florida Keys.  Many years ago when we lived in Atlanta, hubby and I drove down to Miami and spent a couple of days there… and then drove on down through all the keys (islands) down to Key West.  Memories of it?   The one road down and back is busy - and slow moving at times - BUT the scenery is beautiful to see and it's definitely worth doing once!  We spent a few days in Key West and I would encourage anyone to visit there.  We rented bikes and toured the island.  We went to Ernest Hemingway's home, we went to the "famous" southern most tip of the United States," and we enjoyed the local bars and restaurants - including Jimmy Buffet's original Margaritaville and Sloppy Joe's.

3.  When and where did you last see a real live donkey? Monkey? Turkey? 

Donkey - This past December we had a few animals at our "live nativity" at church.  There was a donkey along with a goat and a lamb.

Monkey - I guess it would be the last time I was at a zoo, which was years ago!

Turkey - We have some wild turkeys here in the low country.  I have occasionally seen them on golf courses, or just trying to cross the road without getting hit!

4.  An old Portuguese proverb says, 'Beware of the door with too many keys.'  What do you think this means?  Share an example of how this has proven true or false in your own life. 

I think the proverb means that if an opportunity, or a plan, or an event, has too many possibilities then be careful, because it might be harder to pick the right one.  If a person is given too many choices, it can be harder to find the one that "fits" or works for them.  

To simply it, I think about a mother teaching a child to pick out their own clothes to wear.  Instead of saying the child can pick anything from the closet and drawers, she can lay out two or three outfits and let the child choose from those.    As an adult,  if we don't have guidelines to help direct us, then we can  be tantalized by everything available - good or bad.  

An example in my life?    I can't think of one because I was given a few keys as a child, that I take with me all my life:  God, family, commitment.

5.  Besides your home, vehicle, and special jewelry, what is something you keep under lock and key? 

We keep a lockbox at the bank with the usual:  birth certificates, our marriage license, the house deed, wills, car titles, etc.   I also took pictures of our house and keep them there in case of a fire, or a hurricane.  

6.  When did you last get keyed up about something? 

If we are talking 'keyed up' in a bad way…then it's been awhile.  (Although my hubby might think differently.)  'Keyed up' in a good way?  I am anxious/excited/nervous right now as I plan my daughter's wedding.  I get excited, 'keyed up,' about traveling sometimes, and whenever I go to a live concert.

7.  Who thinks we need an easy question right about now?  Key lime pie…yes please or no thank you? 

Given a choice of desserts I will pass on key lime pie and take something made with chocolate.  I do not dislike key lime pie but I do not crave it.  I will say it's a light, refreshing summer dessert.  But, if I'm going to splurge and have a dessert (I don't very often) then I'd go for chocolate.

8.  My random thought. 

My post before this one is about football.  Read it and give me your opinion - that is, IF you are a football lover.  Do you feel different going into this season?

Has anyone seen the Reba video about praying for peace?   Take a minute and check it out.  She wrote a song out of her frustration with the wars going on, and feeling helpless about it.   I admire that she took her talent and has used it for a positive message.  I shared it on my Facebook page.  Other artists have joined in.  I think we ALL should!    I think we ALL need to pray for peace!






3 comments:

  1. Great answers..we had similar answers. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chocolate and it will always be my dessert of choice, but also really enjoy key lime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know why your blog is allergic : ). I went into linky and changed your link to the actual post and it seems to be working via my blog now. I don't know if omitting the http at the front is the issue. Maybe next week try putting the http://www..... And see if that helps. We will figure it out eventually!

    ReplyDelete