Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The end of summer….

Joyce is back with the Hodgepodge questions just as the summer winds down.  So, it makes sense that her topics include "back to school" and "Labor Day."    Join in! Read the questions and my answers, and have fun, and answer them too!

1.  As August draws to a close, share what's been your favorite weekend of the entire summer.

Wow!  It has to be a weekend…so that narrows it down a little.  I have had some wonderful weeks (specifically the week at Lakeside with family.)   I have to go with "extended weekends" though because my answer(s) stretched beyond Friday through Sunday.  1.  I had a wonderful time at the CMA Festival in Nashville with my two daughters, and the fiancé in June.   2.  I also had a fantastic time over our annual 4th of July weekend at our "riva cabin" with lots of family and friends.   Good times!  Summertime fun!!!

2.  Labor Day is marked in the US of A on Monday, Sept. 1st. What paying job have you held that you loved the most?  Liked the least? 

The job I loved the most was when I was Promotions Manager at 98 ROCK in Baltimore.  Why?  I worked with great people, many I still call my friends.  I had an exciting job and went in to work each day not knowing who might stop in… rock singers, etc.  But, we also were in a building with an AM station and a TV station, so there seemed to always be "special guests" in the building.  I was young (mid 20's) when I worked there - thankfully - because it often was NOT a 9 to 5 job.  I worked many nights and weekends too…. but don't feel sorry for me.  I was going to a concert, taking ticket winners, hanging out backstage, etc.  

The job I liked the least?   When I first moved to Norfolk, VA I took a temp job through Snelling & Snelling (anyone remember that temp agency?)   I worked for a bank - and basically sat in a cubicle in a small room with no windows… and opened mail with credit card payments and entered them into a old-fashioned "computer system".  This was the early 80's so there was no on-line banking.  All payments came through the US Mail and I (along with a few other sad people) opened envelopes, and punched numbers all day.  Oh - and at the end of the day if we did not balance, we ALL had to stay to find the mistake!  ugh

3.  Does the new school year start before or after Labor Day where you live?  When do you think it should begin?  There is much discussion now about older students having later start times to their school day…   your thoughts? 

School here in coastal SC started last week.  Too early in my book!  I remember growing up with school not starting until AFTER Labor Day.   It was a big deal to buy a new "Fall-looking" dress and new shoes - for the first day.  Here it's still hot so kids are going back in shorts and flip-flops (not that there is anything wrong with that!?! )

Yes, I have read about the research showing high schoolers stay up until 11pm or so, and therefore need more sleep…and school should not start until 8:00am or after.  As a person who loves to sleep, I get that!  Here's been the dilemma in places where I have lived: buses!!!  The same buses are used for all schools so they ruled when school started.  Also, high school students often have more after-school activities AND part-time jobs.  So, getting out early each day gives time for the after-school stuff.
There's no perfect answer.

4.  What's something you've worked at recently that could be deemed a 'labor of love?' 

I have a few things I enjoy and volunteer time to do that qualify, but I will say it's the baby layette program I do each week, through my church.  I have blogged about it before, so to recap, I put together baskets of essentials for new moms…onesies, baby bath, diapers, wipes, etc.  I  put in a small stuffed toy and decorate the basket, add a personal note, then I drop them off at one of the local hospitals.  It's in an area that serves a poorer community.  The nurses in the OB- maternity ward decide who needs one. They can identify the mothers who don't get flowers, or other gifts… and who often don't even have a "going home" outfit for their new baby.   The women from my church donate many items to go into the baskets and I could not do it without their support.

5.  Which of the following work idioms can you most relate to right now….   'a woman's work is never done,' 'all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy,' 'many hands make lighter work." 

Easy!  After what I just wrote about in question 4, I will say 'many hands make lighter work.'   but, isn't that true about everything?   Plus, it's more fun to work together!

6.  Crab or lobster, thanks but no thanks? 

No thanks.  I'm allergic!  I have never had lobster - and the fews times I had crab I got very sick.  Twice I passed out cold.  So, I have learned my lesson.  NO thanks.

7.  Albert Einstein is quoted as saying "Three rules of work: Out of clutter find simplicity; from discord find harmony; in the middle of difficulty lies opportunity."    Which of the three do you consider to be most important?  Share one of your own 'rules of work.'

Most important?  Well…  probably the third part of his quote.  When times are tough, or when things go wrong, we people tend to get up and act.  We can be uncaring or quiet until something bad happens…and then we receive a call into action.   Hopefully, the result is a better thing - a better world!

One of my 'rules of work?'      Work hard - then relax.  Start early and pace yourself.  It's less stressful!!    Okay…that was two rules.  I can never answer with just one!

8.  My random thought. 

Yesterday was my older daughter's first day as a teacher!  She worked in another field for awhile after getting a Bachelor's degree, then went back and got her Master's in Education.  I am proud of her!!  I know she will be underpaid for all the hours she puts in, and all the stress she will feel.  But, I want to remind her that good teachers have a lasting impression on students.  Oh, not all students… but those few who connect and will learn and enjoy the classroom experience.

This is the same daughter who is getting married in April.  Talk about a crazy year ahead!   That's why this mama is diving into much of the wedding planning….thankfully, with her blessing.

Have a great last couple of days of summer everyone!!


2 comments:

  1. So many people are allergic to shellfish. I would be so sad-it's my favorite. The wedding planning is a crazy kind of fun. My daughter and I make a good team. We have to occasionally talk each other off the ledge : ) Things are really really rolling along and I'm starting to get super excited when I think about the day, as opposed to just feeling the weight of all there is to do. We've got the big stuff checked off (except my dress!) and we're into alot of the personal detail now. I guess is you have a wedding in a venue that's a package there's not as much to do, but ours we've put together ourself by booking a venue, a caterer, and all the rest. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your daughter had a happy first day!

    ReplyDelete