Tuesday, November 17, 2015

New words, old songs, things to be thankful for, and gravy on top!

It's the Hodgepodge questions - and I noted that although we have 7 listed, within each is quite a bit more to answer.  This could get lengthy!

1.  What's surprised you most about your life, or about life in general? 

Personally I think what has surprised me is the joy I feel outside around nature.  Growing up I never really thought about it much, and paused to find enjoyment being outdoors.  When I was a kid we used to camp as a family and it's been a running joke about "surviving" those times.   Don't get me wrong, I do not want to camp now - I want a soft bed and modern bathrooms - but now I love a beautiful sunny day and fresh air.   I guess these are things I took for granted as a young person.


Life in general?  It amazes me how all our brains can work so differently.  We are ALL made alike, but we each have unique individual brains in the head... and we have such different thoughts, beliefs, and feelings.  Get 4 people in a room and 2 will believe one way, 2 the other.  It's good - and it's bad.  It brings on brainstorming and progress, many wonderful things - but it also creates friction and incohesive-ness.  As a kid I lived in a small world with "people like me" but as an adult I know the world is so HUGE with endless differences.  We MUST accept differences!

2.  Among others, these ten words were added to the Oxford English Dictionary this year...   awesomesauce,  beer o'clock, brain fart, buttdial, cat cafe, fatberg, fatshame, hangry, MX (gender neutral), and skippable. 

Your thoughts?  Which word do you find ridiculous?  Which word would you never in a million years say out loud?  Which word would you most likely use in conversation? 

So, yes, I had to look up a couple of them.  And... hey, they are not all single words.  They are phrases.  But,  anyway, I find the most ridiculous one is awesomesauce.  It reminds of that silly commercial...the two sisters on the phone.  Sad that I can't think of what product is being advertised. But you know the one sister says it - and it's annoying!

Which would I never in a million years use?   beer o'clock.   Why?   Cuz I'm a wine girl!!   haha

Which would I most likely use in conversation?   Skippable.  Actually I thought it was already a word!  And buttdial - I have already used that word! It happens to me!

3.  Do you like gravy?  Is there a food you'd rather not eat unless it comes with gravy?  Do you make your own or buy the canned or store-made variety?  Turkey and gravy,  sausage gravy,  mashed potatoes and gravy, country ham and red eye gravy, biscuits and chocolate gravy, pot roast and gravy...  which one on the list is your favorite?  

Do I like gravy?  YES!    I probably would not eat turkey and dressing without it.   Mashed potatoes is also definitely better with gravy on them.


I do not make gravy (remember, I do not spend time cooking.)  I have bought the jarred types of gravy before. It does fine.  But I rarely buy/use it.     And, of the variety listed above, my favorite is mashed potatoes and gravy.  Do you remember as a kid making a little bowl in the middle of the potatoes to pour the gravy in?  Now I think that's considered not classy. But it was fun.

4.  Do you have a plan?   Do you need a plan?  Have you ever had a plan fall into a trillion pieces. Explain. 

A plan?  I think our leader Joyce is asking if we have a life plan.   When I was younger I certainly did.  And, I am happy to say that although the path has not always been straight, my life has gone as I had hoped.


I think it is certainly helpful for young people (teens, young adults) to have a plan... for some direction on choices they make with school, careers, families, etc.

Thankfully I have not had a plan totally fall apart and have not felt the need to go back to "step one."  I know people who have had to do it.  I know it can be tough.  Faith, persistence, and patience are important if it happens.

5.  November 19th is National Play Monopoly Day.   Do you have the original or some version of the game?  Do you enjoy playing Monopoly?  How likely is it you'll play a game of Monopoly on November 19th?   Ever been to Atlantic City?  Ever taken a ride on a railroad?  Is parking free in your town?  Last thing you took a chance on? 

Yes, we own the original board game of Monopoly....AND we have a "Wine-opoly" game set too.  (Back to #2 - I like my wine!!)   And, yes, I enjoy playing it... but it requires a large chunk of time to play it.  We used to play on vacations.  We would play and leave out the board - and then keep the game going all week.


I can say with certainty that I will not be playing Monopoly on it's national day.

I have been to Atlantic City a few times.  It's worth a visit.  It is not all that great though.   And yes, I have been on a railroad.  Many years ago I took Amtrak from Baltimore to Miami and back.  I have been on railroads at amusement parks - and subway cars in large cities and airports!   Yes, parking is free in my town.

Last thing I took a chance on?   Well, I guess it's with some of my music ventures.  I am an average flute player but I get asked occasionally to play for events, with pieces out of my comfort zone. I just got asked this morning if I'd play at the local Methodist church on a piece - and it's for the same Sunday I will be there playing handbells.  So, how could I say no?

6.  A song you like that has the word (or some form of the word) thanks in the title, lyrics, or meaning? 

In my twenties I loved all of John Denver's music... so I have to go with "Thank God I'm a Country Boy."


I also love Keith Urban's song called "Thank you"... a song he wrote to Nicole Kidman.  Very sweet and romantic.

7.  What is something you're taking for granted that when you stop and think about it, you're grateful for? 

Oh my... there is so much!   I am grateful for my health, my hubby, my daughters, my family, friends, my pets, where I live, for nature, and for music.  I try and stop each day and thank God for all this in my life.

Right now as we all are stunned after another ISIS day of terror, I am thankful for first responders, and for people who continue to love when there is so much hate.  It's sometimes easier to hate and think it should be an eye for an eye.  I'm thankful for people with cool heads and warm hearts.

8.   My random thought. 

Winter is around the corner.  It's still lovely here in South Carolina.  Today is sunny and in the upper 60's. Tomorrow will hit the 70's.  I think the weekend will get cooler - but not cold.  I am wondering how many of you look forward to winter?   Have you had your first snow yet?  I saw on the National News this morning that places out west are seeing it.  Stay safe if traveling!  Have a great week!








6 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of the awesomesauce ad either. I love John Denver's music. We watched a documentary on his life and he was so talented. Last year we got over 8 inches of snow on Thanksgiving in NJ. Happy that is not a worry of mine this year : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure that I've already used 'skippable' too! We had a light dusting of snow a few weeks back, but nothing that stuck around. It's been a beautiful fall, but we can't hold winter off forever. I'm hoping that it will be a mild one. Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love me some John Denver! He was timeless, in my opinion. No snow here in GA, but I bet it will be here sooner or later..UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAYAY! Another Carolina girl. :) I was born in Anderson County, SC, and spent the first 39 years of my life there. We have been here in Texas for 11 years now, so Texas got both my 40th and 50th birthdays. We are on the Texas Gulf Coast, so snow isn't something that we'll likely see, although it did snow our very first Christmas here. I love winter. It is my favorite season in regards to temperature. It doesn't get really cold here, but it has a chance of being tolerable in the wintertime, as in not 110 degrees! However, one Christmas Eve was 89 degrees. That ought to be illegal!

    I do remember making the potato bowls and filling them with gravy...I still do it.

    I also thought that skippable was already a word!

    Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on wine o'clock so will have to google the monopoly version! lol Enjoyed reading your answers. Definitely winter here in London this weekend - temperatures have dropped to nearly freezing. Brrr I don't like being cold.

    ReplyDelete