Tuesday, August 23, 2016

I don't waffle on my opinions! lol

1. It's National Waffle Day (August 24th)...what decision are you currently 'waffling over'? (or share one you've recently 'waffled over')
 
I have had a few decisions lately to make about the new house we are fixing up.  Paint colors, light fixtures, carpet choices.   Thankfully, I don't have any major decisions in my life that are 'life or death,' or any that I find myself waffling over.
2. It's the middle of August, but I'm already seeing lots of autumn-related posts. Do you think we rush the seasons? If so, does that bother you? I saw (here) an end of summer bucket list that included-

make s'mores, read a new (or favorite) book in the park, eat something delicious and bad for you at a state fair, be a tourist for the day, have a pot luck picnic, book a last minute summer getaway, relax by or in the pool, take a hike to watch the sunset, have a day on the lake, try a new summer recipe

Which activities on the list might you squeeze in before summer officially comes to a close? 
 
I do think that the season of summer is rushed. I am amazed that so many school systems start back in the middle of August, including the one here where I live.  I hate sounding old, but here goes..."back in my day school never started until AFTER Labor Day."   It's still very hot here.  It doesn't feel like autumn at all.  I feel sorry for the children back in the classroom already.

What do I want to do?   I still want to spend more time on our boat.  We haven't been on it enough yet this summer, but September is a beautiful month for going out on the rivers and waterways.
 
 I like summer meals and I have not had my fill of them yet.  I'd like a good cookout with burgers, sliced tomatoes, and corn on the cob.  

I never like to push the seasons. Time goes by too quickly as it is.  I get silently annoyed with people who are already putting up Fall decorations.  There isn't a crispness in the air. The leaves are not changing yet.     And, don't even get me started on people who decorate for Christmas before Thanksgiving!! ugh
3. Your favorite summertime 'art' found in nature?
 
Just this past weekend on our beach walk with our doggies, hubby and I saw many dolphins swimming not far from shore. I mean a lot of dolphins!!  It was awesome to see - but very hard to catch with my camera.  The fins pop up quickly, then back down they go.   Most of the dolphins seemed to be swimming north in the ocean, which I thought to myself was a bit strange. They need to stay south, where the waters stay warm longer.   At least that is what I would do.
 
The dolphins were 'moving art.'  Beautiful to watch!

4. Stephen R. Covey is quoted as saying 'We judge ourselves by our intentions, and others by their actions.' Agree or no? Do you define yourself based on your intentions, your actions, or something else? 
 
Oh, I like this quote.  Yes, I do think it's true.  I always feel a bit guilty inside because I know I can do MORE... more of lots of things:  more in helping others, using more time to commit to causes, spending more ways to make the world better.  I have an internal struggle with myself - because I also really like 'my' time too.  

I judge myself on my actions.  And, I know it's not right but I judge others by their actions too.   "Actions speak louder than words."  

As I write this I feel bad that I judge that way because really I do not know what is going on in the minds and wallets of others. 
5. Are you useful in a crisis? Elaborate. 
 
I hope I can be a calming force.  I don't have medical training. I don't have an education in psychology.  But, I do try and stay calm - and really, I prefer to walk away in a crisis situation.  If it's where someone is being hot-headed and scary - I'm out of there!  If it's a natural disaster, I'm out of there! I leave it to experts. I don't want to get in the way.    ha!   

I think the best thing I can do is keep calm, and try and keep others calm.  And, say a prayer.  Or lots of them!! 
6. What's been your go-to dish this summer? Is it something you'll continue making as the seasons change?
 
I don't have a go-to dish, but I love to eat the fresh shrimp brought in right from the boats.  I love shrimp cooked in dishes but I also love a good shrimp cocktail.   I just had a flashback to "Forest Gump" and all the different ways Forest's army buddy loved his shrimp!  
7. Adult coloring books are a thing now. Have you jumped on the bandwagon? If not is this something you think you might enjoy?
 
No!  No!  No!   Really?  I don't get it.   I was an art major for part of my college life, and I love aspects of art - but coloring within the lines just doesn't do it for me.   I prefer to have quiet time with a crossword puzzle or with a book.  

8.  Insert your own random thought here. 
 
So, my daughter and I were feeling a little 'off' about the Olympics this time.  I'm wondering about you?  We felt that the countries that compete are so unbalanced in terms of population... and money, and ability to support Olympic hopefuls.  I felt wrong at times rooting for the USA - because I know how our country is so large, and dedicated to the athletes, and it's just another "power" thing we have over other countries.
Do we really need another reason to put countries against countries??   

And, should not ALL the countries have helped Rio get ready?  It's wrong to make one country once chosen to host put it all together, to use only their money, and to get all the flack over problems.  We heard for months ahead of time about the bad situations there.

I am not putting down the individual athletes.  Gifted.  Trained.  Life-time consuming efforts.   But, I have a hard time seeing some lose - especially when it's by mere seconds, or by one exhuberant over-reach, or one slip on the bar.   

I know many of you will not agree with me and love watching the games.   


 
 

7 comments:

  1. Love your summer art and I agree with you about getting ahead of the seasons. Too early for Christmas trees and too early for kids to begin school. But that's just my opinion. I guess I always thought the cities bid for the privilege of hosting the Olympics and that is why they were responsible for everything. .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be able to get fresh shrimp! That's something I've never experienced.

    I agree with you on adult coloring books. Not my thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a program that aired recently highlighting a behind the scenes look at Olympic cities and how they fare afterwards and in a word, for many of them, it's not great. But I think cities apply and compete to host, and many of them probably should not. I think if you host you're going to have to foot the bill. Hope the home sells sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of dolphins as works of art! So sleek and graceful! I agree, kids today don't get the full summer to relax and grow. Soon the traditional summer camps will be gone due to summer vacation time shrinking...sad! Hope you have a good week!
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Living only 3.1 miles from the beach, you would think I'd be tired of the dolphins but I'm not. I still get just as excited as the first time I saw them and that was decades ago! I know what you mean about school starting in August. I started after Labor Day too and we turned out just fine. Right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting comment about the olympics. Personally I've definitely benefitted from the London games. The nearby area has been regenerated and our transport links are so much better but I can see that the way it is set out might not be great for some countries. Even this year's Paralympics are struggling so I think they will have to consider how future games are set up. Enjoy the rest of the summertime. I'm not rushing into Autumn yet either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still believe in the after Labor Day too! Dolphin's....how awesome. Shrimp is off my diet right now :( I've enjoyed coloring but it is a bit intense for me. I enjoyed the Olympics but I totally get your point. Also true about other's helping. Most countries, after the Olympic's are out of money and those beautiful venues never get used again.

    ReplyDelete