Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Growing flowers and faith

Hello again everyone! It's Tuesday afternoon and I am taking a few minutes to answer this week's Hodgepodge questions.  Join in.   Comment here or on Facebook.

 1. April is Lawn and Garden Month. On a scale of 1-10 what's the current state of your lawn and/or garden. (10=a showpiece, 1=send in the professionals). Tell us about any lawn or garden plans you have for this month.

Our lawn needs work so I will give it a 3.  I have already put some weed killer on it in spots.  I plan to "weed and feed" it soon.  But, I am not today because we have heavy rain in tomorrow's forecast.   We are currently getting a new little walkway put in in the backyard, going in on the shady side where only moss seems to grow.  My hope is to add some shade-loving plants on each side of the walkway once it's done.  The other side of the backyard is lawn (mostly weed) and I am determined to get it looking healthy this spring! 

2. "Many things grow in the garden that were never sown there."~Thomas Fuller  What does this quote mean to you?

I think this line can mean that although the work you put into something can reap benefits that are expected, it can ALSO reap other good things!  I suppose it can reap bad things too, but I prefer to be positive about the outcome.   So, whenever you put in work you have an idea what should happen, but life gives you little surprises.  I guess you can expect the unexpected!  

3. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think about God?

First thing -  since we are talking springtime and things growing already in this Hodgepodge, I think of God as the creator of it all.  God set up this beautiful world for us and we are the tenders of it.   The plants and flowers, and the birds in the air, the animals, and even the snakes that I don't want in my yard! (Yes, I have seen 3 of them the past couple of days. )

I try to pause. and purposely thank God for the gift of nature!




4. If we were chatting in person, how would I know if you were nervous?

I would probably say something stupid!  ha   When I am nervous my brain starts to race, and I think of too much too fast - and sometimes it just doesn't make sense.  

And  - I would probably try to escape quickly, to get out of the nervous situation. 

5. Do you like the color yellow? Would I find any in your home or wardrobe? Daffodils, tulips, roses, sunflowers, day lily, black eyed susan...which yellow bloom on this list is your favorite?

I love yellow!  It's cheery and uplifting.  It's an interesting question because right now we are updating our home that is on the market.  (I know you already know about this...yes, I have been writing about it! LOL)  The walls WERE deep yellow in the entryway, great room, and kitchen.   We just had the walls painted and now they are in cool gray. Yellow is not in right now.  ) :

Oh, wow, picking a favorite flower from the above list is difficult!   I love them all!   I suppose my favorite of favorites is the sunflowers.  My daughter used sunflowers in her wedding bouquet and in other wedding arrangements.  It looked beautiful! It was perfect for the outdoor event, and with the other decorations used. 

6. Flip flops or bare feet?

Definitely flip flops!  I wear them all the time!  Truly...I wear them 9 to 10 months of the year!  If it's 60 degrees or warmer I am in them.    I live in flip flops and I have them in various colors!  

7. Tell us about any Easter plans, celebrations, or traditions you'll carry out this month.

I just got back from Bible Study and we talked about Holy Week and the changes of the way Christians spend their time during it.   I grew up with the week starting on Palm Sunday, then we went to Maundy Thursday service, and Good Friday service - and the week ended (and we can say life started) with Easter!   We discussed the ways American Christians don't participate as much in the middle of the week services...remembering the impactful Last Supper, and the time of prayer in the garden, and then the crucifixation.  Some go from Palm Sunday - right to Easter.   The full meaning of the joy of Easter Day is unfortunately lessened or missed without experiencing the week.

So... that said,  hubby and I are ushering for Palm Sunday.  We will help hand out the palms to everyone.    I have the usual musical rehearsals during the week, and then I am playing one part of a flute duet during the Good Friday service.  It is a beautiful rendition of "Where You There?"   

Daughter #1 and her hubby are arriving Friday night and they will be with us over the holiday weekend.  I'm looking forward to seeing them, and spending time together.   During two of the Sunday's Easter morning services I will play as part of the handbells group at church.  




8.  Insert your own random thought here. 

 I wrote a blog post right before this on that brings up some random stuff.  If you have time, scan down and read.    Have a wonderful week everyone!! 

you might also enjoy...

4 comments:

  1. Oh I would love to hear the flute rendition of Were You There...it will be moving I am sure. You sound very busy with home and garden getting it ready for the market. My kids are both involved with getting their home on the market so I understand some of the process. All the best! Have a beautiful Easter week. 🌷

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound like you've got a busy spring, but I love that there's an actual spring in the south. Crazy storms here today though-yikes! Enjoy time with your girls this Easter season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you love yellow too! I do love wearing sandals all year long, I just don't do the thing between the toe which is what I think of when I hear flip flops. Enjoy your Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad your daughter will be visiting! That always makes the holidays that much more special. I remember attending all those services you mentioned but haven't in years. I only put on my flip flops when I go outside because my preference is bare feet! I love cold weather but I bet I'd hate closing my toes in if I lived where it gets cold. :)

    ReplyDelete