Monday, April 24, 2017

Monday thoughts...

Monday, Monday... can't stop that day!

And, another song comes to mind...today, it's "Rainy days and Mondays"...   we need the rain so it's not really getting me down.  But, I have some errands to run in a while, hopefully between the drip drops.

*  It was "Earth Day" a few days ago.  I remember one of the very first ones. I was living in Baltimore and a huge rally was planned in front of the Capitol in DC, and I went down for it with a couple of friends.  In reality, I think I went down for the music.   It was back in the days of Jackson Browne, and Bonnie Raitt, and that whole LA group - singing and speaking out for causes.

* "Earth Day"  is still so relevant!  It seems even more so now that we have a president de-funding environmental protection, and questioning science.   Geez.

*  I played handbells yesterday at St. Paul's and I have to admit that that group struggles at times BUT... yesterday, we played one of the hardest pieces that we received at the handbell workshop back in February AND we pulled it off!  In fact, I think we played it quite justly and the congregation loved it!  You know what? I think it has become my new favorite piece.   Woo-hoo for us!

*  Having a stomach bug for 4 days - with some serious D - was NO FUN last week.   Oh my.   I was exhausted for a day or so when it hit, and it has finally taken me this long to feel like I can safely eat anything again.

*  Although sick, I made it to our community band's spring concert.  We were playing pieces with "Space" as a theme... so some Star Trek and Star Wars medleys, along with Holst Mars, and Superman medley, and some Frank Sinatra (Fly Me to the Moon), and more.   One of our trumpeters arranged a flute piece for us - using the various Star Wars themes, and it was one on a part.  I had to be there!  It all went well - and I made it through without running quickly to a bathroom.  (Small victories!!)

* Despite still not feeling up to par, I went to the Tim & Faith concert Thursday.  Nothing would have stopped me short of a trip to the hospital!! lol    My review...   obviously I am a huge Tim fan so I felt there was not enough of just him singing.  He and Faith both had their solo times on stage, and yes, she is a great singer and looks like a million bucks, but I wanted more Tim!   He has so many, many more hits songs that he didn't do... including "Indian Outlaw" and he shortened "Live Like You were Dying."   He and Faith sang a few of their amazing hits together, but did not do "Meanwhile Back at Mama's"  and really there just wasn't enough time to do it all.    It was not a typical country music show because it had more staging and lights, and things going up and down, and the show rarely highlighted the band (and I missed that.)    In truth, those two can do no wrong.   It was a wonderful concert... and I look forward to seeing them again in August, and then again in October.

*   What a beautiful weekend it was here in the lowcountry!  This has been such an early spring, and now we are almost into May!  It's my favorite time of year!!  

*  Daughter #1 and her hubby are house hunting in the Raleigh market.  Oh my!  Twice now they have put offers on homes, just to have another offer come on top of theirs, and they then lose the homes.  The one yesterday they offered just $10, 000 below asking price...which is a good offer.  But someone came in with an all cash deal!   I feel so sorry for daughter and SIL!   They find a house, get excited, and put in an offer... a less than a day later its gone.   How about a prayer that the next one goes through?!?!

*  And a prayer for us?  Our house on the market didn't even have one showing this past weekend.  Oh what a difference between what they are experiencing in Raleigh and what we are here!!  

*  Daughter #2 was here this weekend, and was my concert buddy to Tim & Faith's show.  I'm so happy that tax season is over and she now has room to breathe, and has some traveling ahead.  In May she is going to go to Prague for work (classes on international tax) and will extend the time for some vacation and sightseeing.   Her dad is meeting her in Italy for some history, good food, and wine!

* I watched "Milk" yesterday On Demand - the movie about gay activist Harvey Milk.  He led a movement back in the 70's in the San Fran - Castro district.   True story.  Watching it I remembered it a bit (I was in college), especially the Anita Bryant push back,  but I learned a lot too - and as I watched I was amazed at how it seems little we haven't come that far since then. It's been almost 40 years and yes, homosexuality is more in the open, and understood...and accepted in some parts. But, not everywhere yet - by everyone.     I think our next generation (our kids and their kids) will be way beyond seeing it as a dividing issue, and will wonder what all the fuss was about.  Let people love who they want to! 

*  It was nice to spend some family time this past weekend... with Stan's niece Kim and her girls, Stan's sister Kathy & Ted, and then dinner with my cousin Kay and Bill.   Also having daughter #2 here.

*  Just wondering... is any Trump voter ready to say they made a mistake yet?  Don't worry... I will forgive you.  Just tell me you have seen the light!

*  Same goes for O'Reilly!!   Ha!   My brother:  What are you going to watch each night now??

*  I'm gearing up for our church garage sale again.  I'm in charge (mostly out of default) and it will be held on Saturday, May 6th.   If you are local, bring in your items now - and clear your home of unnecessary stuff, but things that others might need!   We serve the community by offering used but good items... AND we raise money that we turn around and give back to the community.   Habitat for Humanity picks up the leftovers for their Re-Store.  So, it's a win-win-win!

*  FYI - it's still the Easter season.  (Did you know it's not just a day?)   Hallelujah!  

It's time to get my Monday rolling... and to start scratching things off my list of "to do" today!
I hope your week is starting off well, and that you take time to appreciate this earth we all share together.  Be good to it.  And to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment