Thursday, June 15, 2017

An early Father's Day meme

Today is Thursday, and, yes, Father's Day is not until Sunday.   But, I'm already thinking about my hubby and the 31 years of fatherhood he has experienced - and now... well, wow!  He's getting ready to be a grandfather!  So, it seems like a good time to put down a few thoughts here on my blog about the guy... in honor of him as Father's Day comes near.

He came from a family where men didn't stick around all that long.  By the time I met him he already had 3 daddies...  One biological one who left when he was two years old, and then two step-dads who probably would not win any awards in a "Father of the Year" contest.    And, I met hubby in the midst of our 20's when the guy had a pretty 'active' life at that time, if you know what I mean!  Settling down?  Being a good dad?   Who knew if he could do it?!?   Who knew if he knew HOW to do it?!

Well, the timing was right - and somehow I just knew hubby was going to be different from what he grew up with... we had talks, and I heard his determination to succeed - in all aspects of his life.   Two years after we got married, he became a father.   Two years later he became a father again.

What kind of father??      Indulgent for sure!!  ha  (You know - it's that daddy and his little girls thing!!)   And he was FUN - all the time!  And - hands on with his girls as much as possible considering his work and travel commitments.   Hubby was a great example of blending both fatherhood and businessman together.  He made sure he didn't short himself on experiences, or that his daughters ever felt left out. 

A proud father!  Hubby encouraged his daughters all the time, but never (I hope) put too much pressure on them to do something they really didn't want to do. (I'm probably the one who did that more...   )   He knew better than me, though, the reality of the teen years when they came around,  and he never 'laid down the law' and scared our girls into obedience.   He trusted.  

Hubby and I are different in some aspects of parenting for sure, but thankfully we blended, and my ying went with his yang.   We all know hubby will give and give for the joy of it.  His daughters were recipients of much - but, through their own life experiences, our girls have learned about the world, felt blessed, and appreciated his gifts.  Yes, they are lucky.  No doubt.  They got a dad who showers them with things... but his biggest showering is his love, and his pride, and belief in them.

So... in a few months from now, hubby becomes a grandfather!   All I can say is "what lucky grandkids!"  (Yes, twins are on the way.)  He already talks of being involved in their lives, and not wanting to miss events and celebrations...  and I have a feeling we will be wearing out the path from our house to theirs.  I'm thrilled to be there too - with him.  

This is a special Father's Day on Sunday. Soon his baby will have babies.  The circle of life... and the passing down of love, and pride, and faith.      Happy Father's Day to you hubby!!    Love you!


1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post. I'm so excited for the two of you. So many blessing to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete