Wednesday, June 28, 2017
QBing on a Wednesday morning
It's supposed to be lazy days and time off from what you do the rest of the year, right?
Well - then, why is it that my summertime seems to go by so quickly? We are almost to the month of July and I have been very BUSY!! So busy in fact, I have neglected posting here. But, this morning I will try and take a few minutes to put down some thoughts. Here goes.
* Number one thought is the twins that are on the way! Daughter #1 is halfway there with them and she is doing well. The babies are growing and her doctor appointments are going well so far. No problems. But, keep saying a prayer for her and the little ones! (By the way, I know the sex of them now but daughter & son-in-law have not announced it to friends and on Facebook, so I will not post it here.) So many changes happening for them! With babies on the way, they have just moved into their first home and are finding out the ups and downs of home ownership. It's fun for me to watch, and to remember hubby and my journey as newlyweds and then becoming young parents. Oh, the circle of life!
* Life brings joy - and it brings sorrow. Last week my hubby's brother-in-law passed at the young age of 64. He suffered with some physical problems for quite a while, but his faith stayed strong - and perhaps got stronger during it all. The funeral was a lovely celebration of his journey, of his recent years getting back with family, and making the most of his days left.
I have heard of several deaths recently of those in their 60's. And, yes, as of December I am now in that decade. It's a bit scary, but it's also a wake-up call to tell me that I need to take care of myself, with some exercise and proper eating - all the time. Stay positive. Stay current. Enjoy each day.
* This is minor but geezzzzz - I have had another bad time of it with poison ivy this spring and summer!! Actually, I have discovered the real culprit is a vine called Virginia Creeper, that grows wildly everywhere around here. It clings to bushes and can take over... it grows very quickly! I am taking care of two houses right now (the one for sale - and the one I live in) and I try, try, try to be careful... but, I still get it. It's bad again right now, so I may head to the doctor's for a shot and meds again. I was there last month too. ) :
* Yes, the Willbrook house is still for sale. It's been over a year now. The responses from those who have seen it say it's a beautiful home, in a lovely setting.... but there are too many steps, and they don't like the floor layout, or they want a bigger yard for dogs or a pool. I was there yesterday before a showing and vacuumed, etc. As I walked around, and wiped down window sills, etc. I thought about the need to paint some more. So, it's on my list to do. All the furniture is out now - so smudges show more, scratches, etc.
* I just reserved our ticket/hotel package for the CMA Festival for June 2018 yesterday! The 4 day festival is so popular that you need to book it quickly! I book now especially because we love staying in a downtown hotel, and love the Gold Circle tickets we have for the night time concerts. It gives us a whole year to pay on it, and to look forward to it! The festival just gets bigger each year and never disappoints!
* I live near Myrtle Beach and historically it has been known as a "family vacation spot" because hotels and restaurants are reasonably priced, and the area is a drive-able beach/ocean spot for people who live in the northeast or in the mid-west. But, as with other places these days, the violence by guns has gotten worse. There have been shootings on the main drag, and in the parking lots of local malls. Some of the violence is drug related. Some is because tourists can be easy targets to rob. It's gotten scarier to be out at night. I remember driving my daughters there and dropping them off to walk the strip to shop, and to go to a youth club. I don't know if I would do that today.
* I guess that leads me to my thoughts of America and it's love of guns. You know me. I believe we have to change the philosophy of guns here. There is no need to own multiple weapons. There needs to be better security issues with them... it can be done. But, the NRA and gun-makers fight it... all for the mighty dollar. It saddens me VERY much! I am a member of Mothers for Gun Safety, and Mothers Against Hate organizations. On Facebook I see posts every day of children 'accidentally' shot and killed. It just seems to sad - and we CAN lower the numbers. If only, each and every gun owner took responsibility. But, most say "oh, I know what to do with my gun and I won't let my gun be stolen or left unattended." Grrrrrrr
* Politics: Our president is such an embarrassment to me. I "resist" and will continue to speak up. I have to. I'm still waiting for someone out there who voted for him to say they were wrong. Come on - you can do it! We all make mistakes.
* Back to summertime flying by.... I still want to go shelling and boating but we haven't done it yet. It takes time to go out to the barrier islands. And good weather. We have had lots of rain lately. I want to spend a whole day out on the boat. Maybe soon!!
* And I want to read more! On my chaise lounge chair in the Carolina room. Maybe tomorrow! ha
* I'm revamping an old changing table for my daughter's babies' room. I've painted it...and will now put a coating on it to give it a 'weathered' look. Next: new contact paper and baskets on the shelves. I think it will be cute (and functional) once done. I've also started buying a few other things. Being a first time Grandma is so exciting! I love it!!!
Ok. Time to get going... it's summertime and I have much to do!