Tuesday, August 22, 2017

"Over the moon" in more ways than one.


Another Tuesday, another Hodgepodge!  Let's get started!

1. Did you watch the solar eclipse? Your thoughts? Sun Chips, Moon Pies, Starburst candies, a Blue Moon beer, a Sunkist orange, or a Milky Way candy bar...what's your favorite eclipse related snack on this list?

Yes! Yes I did!  I was fortunate to live in the center of the path as it came across South Carolina.   So, hubby and I went out on our riva cabin dock and watched the eclipse from there.  I have to say going into the "big day" I was a bit tired of all the hype, and the traffic around here.  I figured I would watch it - la dee dah - and then be happy when it was all over.   As we got to just a few hours before the start of the beginning of the eclipse it became somewhat cloudy, and so I thought maybe we would not see anything. Oh well.

But... the clouds moved on and the sky cleared enough for us to watch - as the moon started to block out the sun.  For an hour it was glasses on, glasses off. on again, and off, and repeat.   We had a few drip drops but still we hung in there and waited....and watched.   And I have to say that the moment we saw the full 'totality' of the solar eclipse, it was quite something special to see!   When we could take off our glasses and look directly up at the full eclipse it was a pretty awesome moment!  An 'aha' moment!!

As for the snacks, hubby and I should have thought ahead and had some!  My daughter's company had everyone go out on their outdoor veranda, and they served Blue Moon Beer, and Moon Pies - with other goodies.  They also provided the glasses for everyone.     Of the candies on the list above, I would probably go for a Milky Way bar.   It's always been one of my favorites! 

2. What are you 'over the moon' about these days? What's something you enjoy doing every 'once in a blue moon'?

What am I 'over the moon" about?   Ha!  I think you know!  The answer:  The fact that I will soon be a first time grandmother - to identical twin boys!   I am very excited!  Just earlier today I was in a second-hand store and found a cute little bathroom step up stool - for little ones to reach the sink.  The boys are not even born yet and I'm already thinking of how they will need the stool! !! Oh, yes, I bought it!!    It's very sturdy - and just needs a fresh coat of paint.   It won't be but a year and a half and they will be needing it... right? lol

'Once in a blue moon' actually means very rarely.  So, I think I will say I rarely fly in an airplane.  I will because it's convenient, and can be quick if all goes well, but I don't like particularly prefer it.  I'm limited to what I can bring, and I am at the whim of the airlines and the weather... and I just don't get HOW that huge, heavy thing gets up in the air anyway!?!    I'm not good with turbulence.  And I'm not a fan of such close sitting. I have long legs so I'm always crammed.   I only enjoy it if all goes well - that means that it is in time, people were kind, and it was a nice smooth ride.


3. Tell us about something in the realm of science that interests you. How do you feed that interest?


This is a funny question to answer right after admitting I don't get how airplanes fly!  lol    What kind of science interests me?   I guess I like horticulture (is that science??). I like playing with plants and flowers......   and I love when I can make them thrive!!


4. What are a few things you remember about going back to school as a child?

I have said this before, but I remember 'back to school' time not being until AFTER Labor Day.  So, I'm still sad for all the students who head back in mid-August.  It just seems too early.  Summer isn't over yet.    I remember my mother taking me shopping for new school shoes - and I think they were often new penny loafers (and yes, I put a penny in each!)  I would get a new dress or outfit too.

I remember being excited on the first day back to school, seeing who was in my class, and starting off with brand new school supplies! 

5. I've seen several versions of this around the net so let's make one of our own...share with us five words that touch your soul and briefly tell us why.

Five words that touch my soul?  Five separate words?  Or a sentence/line of five words.   Wow...   this is the first I have heard of this, so let me think...

Music -  It's a direct avenue to feelings.   It can bring out emotions to love, to dance, to feel sadness... or to jump around and act silly.  Music touches and moves me.

Peace - it's allusive but I think we all strive for it.  I hope so anyway.   When people get together disarmed - and share in a moment, it's a beautiful and soothing experience.  A feeling of oneness and a shared humanity brings peace.

Passion - I admire those with a lot of it.  A person with passion for an art, or a belief, or a cause... they live 'strongly' and care deeply.

Children -  They are precious, and innocent, and untouched by the bad in the world.  They often just live in the moment and therefore change their emotions quickly.  Honestly.   A hug from a child (when not told to do it by an adult) is just the best thing ever!   Children are fun to watch as they explore and learn new things....  we need to remember how we were once that way.

God -  I've had "God moments" as an adult.  Things that have been so lovely, or where the dots have connected just right, that it is God giving me a 'gift'.   I appreciate it.  It certainly makes me smile - and believe.   I've seen God in unexpected moments... and they really are the "aha" times.    


6.  Insert your own random thought here.

 If I could add on to my list above of the words that touch my soul...  I'd add nature (because I have God moments there) and pets.  Both nature and pets add depth to living and bring joy to an ordinary day.

Have a great week ahead!  I'm off to a wedding this weekend...  which is another thing that sure can make the soul sing!  It's wonderful to watch two people express their love and commitment, and. for family and friends to be there to witness it - and to paaaaarty!?!!!!    ( :   

5 comments:

  1. Weddings and identical twin baby boys! Those are truly wonderful things in your life! I enjoyed reading the words that stir your soul.

    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Hodgepodge. Your excitement over the babies shines through. You will have such fun with identical boys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations to you and those identical twin grand boys! What a blessing they are sure to be! I enjoyed your answers. I also associate starting back to school after Labor Day. The kid's summers seem to be getting shorter and shorter! Enjoy the rest of your week, Marla!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our neighbor who hosted the party gave us all goody bags filled with solar/lunar related snacks. I loved the whole eclipse experience, and it felt uniting which we need right about now. Have a great weekend! I love a wedding too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you got to experience the Eclipse. Hey, I've been collecting baby things for both girls and boys for 10 years now! Hopefully I will be blessed one of these days. Good answer, I don't understand how planes fly either, it is amazing. Have fun at the wedding!!

    ReplyDelete