Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Mapping it out, finding the right path...

I'm running a little late with the Hodgepodge questions and answers this morning.  The power went out here for about 45 minutes or so which left me without an internet connection!  Horrors!  lol.   I actually picked up my book and read for awhile, which I rarely do in the morning time.

But, now the power is back on, and so let's proceed with the Hodgepodge!

1. On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate your sense of direction? 1=can't find my way out of a paper bag and 10=if I've been somewhere once I can find it blindfolded ten years later.
When was the last time you looked at/used a map you could hold in your hand? (phones don't count!) 


back east, down south, out west, up north

Choose one of these directional expressions and tell us why you chose it.



I will rate myself an 8 when it comes to knowing my direction. Occasionally I can get turned around, but I seem to have a pretty good sense of north, south, east, west.   I was just telling someone last evening that my hardest time with it came when I lived in California, and I could not get used to the ocean being west.  Having lived east of the Mississippi most my life, the ocean was always east. 



Driving in a car I have an okay sense of which direction I am going.  It's a feeling within me.

Last time I used a map?  For a road trip?   Oh wow.  It's been a long time.  I use the map on my display screen in my car dashboard often.  And, I use my phone's GPS and map trips with it.   But, a paper map??   It's been too long ago to remember.

Of the expressions listed above, I will pick "up north" because I used to live there.  I lived in New Jersey for 12 years.  And now I live in South Carolina.  So, I find myself (and hear from many others here) about when I lived 'up north'....and it was cold, and it was crowded, and it was crazy!  I like it here... 'down south!"


2. Did you do more talking or listening yesterday? Is that typical? Describe your yesterday in one word.

Yesterday, bring Tuesday, I went to the noon Bible Study, which is mostly listening, but we discuss so I also did a bit of talking.   I ran errands in the afternoon.  Then came home and did some listening to the TV.  But, I talked with my dogs - and I do that ALL the time!  lol.   Last evening I went to the weekly community band rehearsal... which involved a lot of listening.  Listening to the conductor, and listening to the band as a whole as we worked on pieces for the upcoming Veterans Day event, and the holiday Christmas concert.

My day in one word:  pleasant.  

3. Time, money, water-power-resources, opportunity...which one on the list are you most guilty of wasting? What might you do to change that?

Oh, I suppose I can answer that I waste too much time.   But, I think it was Jackson Browne who sang "if you enjoy wasting time then it's not really wasted time" or something like that.  We all need a little wasted time... time to sit, reflect, chill, and recharge.

I can also answer that I waste money.  I spend pretty freely, but I also try not to be over the top.  In fact, in the past year or so, I have made an effort to downsize, and to minimize, and to realize how little it really takes to live.  I am in a position of not needing to count pennies (or dollars), but I also know money doesn't buy happiness.   
  

4. Did  your family take regular vacations when you were a kid? Tell us something you remember about a family roadtrip from your own childhood.

Each summer we did take a road trip vacation, usually to a camp ground.  We pulled a trailer and traveled to parks.  We sometimes stopped in a visited family friends on trips.  But, most times if I remember right, it was a two week trip - up to Cape Cod, or to Michigan's lakes.  

One interesting thing I remember:  This was before cars had AC so we would travel with all the windows down and feel the warm breeze.  My dad drove with his left arm sitting on the top of the car door (open window).... and by the end of vacation he would have a VERY tan left arm!   Just his left arm!  

5. If you could grow anything you wanted, what would you grow? Why?

I am guessing leader Joyce means growing vegetables...??    Or flowers?   I love working outside in a flower garden so I can answer that way.

Can I go beyond physically growing something, and  say I'd love to grow more love, more acceptance, more peace.   Yep.  That's growing the deep stuff.  It's a lot harder to grow than veggies. 

6. Insert your own random thought here.

Babies update time:  My daughter's twins are about 3 and a half pounds each right now.  Week 32 or 33 now.   She has adjusted to her gestational diabetes diet and her sugar numbers are good.  She is starting the once a week visits now to the OB/GYN office, and she & hubby just completed their parenting classes offered by the hospital.  They have toured the Labor & Delivery area...and car seats are in the car.   My daughter has started packing her bag - and her babies bag (little going home outfits, etc.)  So, we continue to wait... and let the baby boys grow more.   But, it won't be long now!

I'm heading up to visit them this weekend, It will most likely be my last time seeing her pregnant!  Next trip will be for the deliveries.   Also, while I'm in NC this weekend,  I'm meeting my other daughter and her boyfriend at the Tim McGraw and Faith Hill "Soul 2 Soul" concert in Greensboro.   I saw it back in March in Charleston, SC...  but I am ready to experience it all again!!  

Have a great week friends.  See you here next time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm running late getting to last weeks hodgepodge! That's a good point, I like what Jackson Browne said. Next year for me is all about downsizing. I hope I can do it! I love the fact that we drove with the windows down and didn't know the difference. It was just what it was at the time. The babies are a good size. Hope you had a nice visit.

    ReplyDelete