Wednesday, October 25, 2017

THe Hodgepodge is back...

Hodgepodge time!  Our leader has been away, on the west coast, sightseeing and visiting her brand new grandbaby!  What fun!  We are still on 'babies watch" here but it should not be too much longer.
 
Let's get to today's Hodgepodge questions and my answers.    Shall we?? 
 
1. What's surprised you most about your life or life in general? 
 
Starting off with a doozy of a question!   What has surprised me most?    I don't know if it's a surprise but I have been very happy with the way my life has gone in general.   I have no major regrets or disappointments.  I wish my Ohio family was closer at times (or I closer to them) and that I saw them more often.  But, I also know we have busy lives - and I don't like to travel to the 'cold terrain' and I limit myself.     

If I can think of any surprise, it is that I have worked through a lot in my head, and I am pleased with where I am in my faith, and in my heart.  

2.  Sweet potato fries, sweet potato casserole, a baked sweet potato, a bowl of butternut squash soup, a caramel apple or a slice of pumpkin pie...you have to order one thing on this list right now. Which one do you go for?

Oh...easy answer.  A slice of pumpkin pie.  I am not a big sweet potato lover.   Caramel apples are messy.   Pumpkin pie means autumn, and holidays.   I'd definitely go with the pie (warm and with a dollop of whipped cream on top.) 

3. What's a famous book set in your home state? Have you read it? On a scale of 1-5 (5 is fantastic) how many stars does it rate?



Well, all of Pat Conroy's books are well known, and take place in my state, South Carolina.  He was a SC boy and wrote about what and where he knew best.    I love "The Water is Wide" about a small SC island that really exists (we have a few like it) that is a step back in to the gullah time.   It's about a school teacher who goes over to the island and the differences he finds.


It's been a long time since I have read it... I might need to pick it up again!   Really, all of Pat Conroy's books are excellent!

Another SC writer who writes about her home state is Dorethea Benton Frank.  She is lighter in style than Conroy, but she loves to include local flavor in all her books.


4. There are 60 days until Christmas...have you started your shopping? How do you stay organized for the holidays?

So, I was telling my very pregnant daughter just the other day that the timing of the baby boys arrival is wonderful!  We will have all our attention on them - and will put the pressure of the holidays by the wayside.  That pleases me!!   I have written in the past how the Christmas pre-craziness is my worst time of year.  I dislike the expectations, and the rushing, and the worry about doing the right thing, buying the right thing, etc.

So, this year, both Thanksgiving and Christmas, will be all about the boys!  Nothing else matters!  Yeah!!

Oh, okay. I have bought a couple of items on line.  Things I have happened to see that will make nice gifts.   

5. October 26th is National Tennessee Day. Have you ever lived or spent any time in Tennessee? Is this a state you'd like to visit one day? The top rated tourist attractions in Tennessee are-

The Great Smoky Mountain National Park (Gatlinburg area), Elvis's Graceland (Memphis), Birth of the Music Biz (Memphis and Nashville), Dollywood (Pigeon Forge), Tennessee's Military Heritage (many battlefields), The Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's home), The Parthenon (Nashville), Oak Ridge American Museum of Science and Energy, Chattagnooa and the Tennessee Valley Railroad, Downtown Knoxville, Lookout Mountain, The Titanic Museum (Pigeon Forge), The Museum of Appalachia (Clinton), and The Lost Sea Adventure (Sweetwater)

How many on this list have you seen? Which one on the list would you most like to see?


I have spent time in Nashville every June for the past 7 years - attending the CMA Festival.  I have yet to go to the Parthenon.  And the Hermitage is close by but I haven't stopped in yet.   When I go, it's all about the music.  So, I have been to the Grand Ole Opry, and the Ryman, and other country music venues in that area.   I also spent a weekend in the Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge area.  We hiked in the Smoky mountains one day - and also went into underground caves.   We did not make it to Dollywood but I am not a big fan of amusement parks so although I love Dolly, I don't need to ride carnival rides, and eat cruddy food.     I saw items from the Titanic Museum when they were touring.  It was interesting.   But, I have not been in the museum in Pigeon Forge.

Of the ones listed that I have not been to yet, I would like to go to Memphis for the 'music biz' - not for seeing Graceland.  My hubby went once - and I saw the pictures.  That was good enough for me.  lol 

6.  Insert your own random thought here.

It's been a couple of weeks since blogging so it seems there is so much I could mention...  the #metoo movement (are you part of it?), and the amazing speech by Senator Flake yesterday.  

I could update you on the twins growing, and my daughter hanging in there.   Barely!  She is at the end of this pregnancy and moving is difficult, eating is limited, etc.  She is READY to see those boys!

I could also tell you about the celebration of the Lutheran's 500th anniversary of the Reformation THIS Sunday in all Lutheran churches around the world!

I could tell you about seeing the Soul2Soul concert with Tim & Faith for a 2nd time, in Greensboro, NC.  

I think each really deserve an individual blog post.  Will I get around to it?    lol.   Most likely NOT! ha.   So, instead I will say... have a great week!!  See you here soon.

4 comments:

  1. I remember how big I got with my son. I was HUGE! I can not even imagine having 2 babies inside. I, too would be ready to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must all be getting so excited about those boys arriving. Looking forward to hearing all about it. Grandparenting is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you! We won’t have the west coasters home for either holiday this year, but they’re coming for a week in Nov and the great grandmas will come to SC then too to meet him. I could shop for him all day : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your answer for number one with being happy where your life has gone. I agree, having family far away is the hardest part. Same answer on the pumpkin pie and loving sweet potatoes! I'll have what your having when it comes to Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete