Sunday, October 16, 2011

Seasons

There's a chill in the morning air now.  It always happens this time of year.  I went out to get the newspaper at the end of the driveway a few minutes ago and had to grab a sweatshirt on my way out the door.

But by this afternoon it will be close to 80 degrees and beautiful.   It really is a lovely, lovely time of year!  Up north the leaves are turning amazing colors and it's an artist and photographer's perfect background.  I remember the gorgeous colors of the trees behind our house where we lived in Sparta, NJ.   Absolutely beautiful! No denying it!  Really, really beautiful!

Somewhere along the way, through the years, I discovered that after this awesome shock of reds, yellows, and oranges come the (long) months of grey.  Grey trees, grey skies, and grey snow (especially after it's been on the ground a few days. Actually, it turns black from car exhaust.  ugh!)  Is God teasing us?  Or, is He teaching us to take the vibrant with the blah?  To enjoy the beauty while you can and to cherish the special moments?   To know that everything changes?  

I have to remind myself about the CHANGE of seasons and the "Master's plan."  I tend to become abit of a Debbie Downer when the chill sets in, and the winter months quickly approach.   I am one of those people who thinks summer is never long enough.  

I have gotten better at handling the seasons since moving south.  The winters are not as long and not as extreme.  Spring and it's rebirth comes much earlier here than back in Jersey.   I can just throw on my sweaters and blazers during winter and never need a heavy coat.  No boots (unless it's a fashion statement.) And, the same with scarves. Pretty to wear but rarely needed for warmth.

Now, I know, there are people who love the cold and love the look of snow falling.  They like to "bundle up" and play outdoors in the winter months.  More power to 'em!   Go for it!  Ski and sled all you want!  I hear them talk and know they mean it, but I just don't feel the same - down deep in my core. 

So, for me, I am making a point to relish these October days and to still feel the afternoon warmth.  Aaaa! It really is lovely!   I know the seasons will change. 

And, I know it won't be long til spring will arrive again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment