This week's questions from Joyce, and my answers...
1. William Shakespeare's birthday is celebrated on April 23rd. When did you last read Shakespeare? What's your favorite play? Truth be told I haven't read much Shakespeare. The last time I read any of his works was in a college literature course and you can guess how many years ago that was! My favorite? Well, of course it's "Romeo and Juliet". At least I can recite some of the lines AND I loved the "modern" movie version of it with Leo DiCaprio as a young Romeo and Claire Danes as Juliet. When I was in Verona, Italy we went to the famous spot where Juliet stood on her balcony and said "Romeo, Romeo, whereforth art my Romeo?"
2. What food(s) would you recommend a foreign visitor to try when they visit your home country? The US is so large and diverse that I'd have to narrow it down to "my part of the country" and suggest some "southern cooking." I'd recommend some pulled pork bar-b-que, homemade mac & cheese, collard greens, black-eyed peas, and cornbread. Finished off with pecan or peach pie!
3. What's a lie you often tell yourself? The serious question of the day! Geez, Joyce. I have been sitting here thinking. I don't try to lie to anyone, including myself. I think I have learned to face the hard realities of life due to my faith. No need to lie.
4. What's something you are good at that might surprise us? Remember this is a family friendly blog. I'm glad you said "good at" not "great at". I play the flute. I have since childhood. I played through high school and then put it away for years. I was the typical band geek. But, I got it back out when my daughters started learning instruments in elementary school. We had fun playing together. I have gotten brave enough to play at my church.
5. What is your favorite animal character from a book? Why is this a tough question? I guess because the books I read don't have animals in them. Wait, I read "Marley and Me" and loved Marley! Other animal characters are from children's books: Gus, the mouse, in "Cinderella".... and all the Sesame Street animals!
6. April showers bring May flowers. Do you have a green thumb? I have a "light green" thumb. I really enjoy growing flowers and keep a pretty nice yard & garden. Not all my planting endeavors are successful, but I'm getting better at it. Here's another surprise about me: I worked in a florist with a huge greenhouse while I was in college. I loved that job! I worked the front area most times but occasionally got to spend the day in the "garden planter" area in the greenhouse, making up plant dishes and arrangements.
7. Speaking of rainy days, which one of the following activities would you most want to spent time doing on a rainy day? Sort photos & create albums, bake cookies, read a good book, hold an all-day movie marathon, organize closets, cupboards, or book shelves, try a new recipe, or fix something that needs fixing? I don't think I could do only one thing all day. I would enjoy everything listed EXCEPT the kitchen choices. ha! I only bake cookies before Christmas, and I am not into trying new recipes. Can I add some rainy day activities? If so, then I have to add doing crosswords and playing on my computer! Of course!
8. My random thought. I'm curious about my blogging friends' pets. My pug, Miss Honeybee, is turning one this Thursday. Happy birthday Miss Bee! I named her after Blake Shelton's song "Honeybee" that was popular when I got her last summer. She is my first pug. I have grown up with Boston Terriers and little Poodles. Miss Bee is something else! She's affectionate, still pretty ornery, stubborn at times, and downright adorable! What kind of dog do you have?