Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Hello October!

Welcome to October and this week's Hodgepodge questions and my answers. As always, I love to know your thoughts too.  Feel free to respond via my blog, on Facebook, or send a note to my e-mail address. 

1. It's a brand new month...share one thing you're looking forward to in October.

I am looking forward to spending a day & night with my daughter & her boyfriend, and my niece, at the NC State Fair and going to see Jake Owen in concert that night.   I'm driving there in a couple weeks.  Of course, I look forward to spending the time with the people, but I am also looking forward to going to a state fair.  I haven't been to a state fair since I lived in Maryland and worked in radio. We always set up our 98 ROCK van there and had announcer appearances, and gave away bumperstickers, etc.  They were long, hot days.  This time I will enjoy myself!  I have seen Jake Owen a 4 or 5 times in concert already but he never disappoints!   I love his energy, his music - and he's not hard to look at either. 

2. Is chivalry dead?  Explain.

I looked up the word to make sure I understood it before responding.  Chivalry was owning the qualities of a knight: courtesy, generosity, valor, honor.   Even in war.  It was a male term.   So, is it dead?   No.  I think most of our soldiers today display chivalry.   Because it's an old term. it's often thought as how a man defends a woman.  In that way it's probably dead thanks to women's lib and equality in the workplace.

3. On October 2, 1050 the Peanuts comic strip made it's debut.  Which character is your favorite?  Which character is most like you? (Charlie Brown, Lucy, Linus, Shroeder, Snoopy, Woodstock, or PigPen. )

First, let me say, I LOVE Peanuts! Thank you Charles Schultz for wholesome, adorable kids (and dog) that make us laugh and cry...that really touch our hearts!  My favorite?  It's got to be Charlie Brown.  Where would the comic be without him? I love his eternal hope.  He gets knocked down a lot, and disappointed ("good grief!") but he keeps going.  He tries again.   Who am I like?   I hope I am NOT like Lucy.  ha!  I hope I'm like Linus who is still "child-like" in his ways but he always gets the big picture!  Come on, he's the one that told everyone the real meaning of Christmas! 

4. What's something you're competitive about?

I thought on this awhile.  I'm not a competitive person -  on purpose.  It's easier, and less stressful, to live without trying to be better than someone or something.   If I have to come up with an answer I guess I'm competitive about  South Carolina Gamecocks football.  I want to see them play a good game and win!  Goooooooo Gamecocks!!

5. October is National Popcorn Popping month.  Are you a fan?  How do you like your popcorn? 

I don't crave popcorn. I never make it at home.  I do like it at the movies, but I don't even get it there very often.   But, if I do buy some popcorn at the movies - it's just a small bag, with a little butter on it. 

6. When did you first realize the world is small?

Oh thanks Joyce.  Now I have the song "It's A Small World After All" going through my head.  If you have ever gone on the "It's A Small World" ride at Disney you know that song!  Once our little boat got stuck in the "It's a Small World" ride and we heard that song over and over...and over...and over... for what seemed like an eternity!   oh my!     My serious answer is:  I remember sitting alone in my living room watching TV when the first Gulf War attack happened and Pres. Bush #1 came on TV and told us, and then I watched the nighttime raids, the SCUD missles, etc.  It felt like it was happening in my backyard.  It seemed close, and it was frightful. 

7. My random thought.

I think we all have enjoyed a bit of a quiet the past few weeks during the whole political circus pre-election arena.  That will change Wednesday when the 1st presidential debate happens.   I wish we as a country could limit (by law) the length of campaigning and the amount of money spent on it.  Just think how happier we would all be - and how that money could be used for better, needed projects.  Hang on -  it's about to get wild again!

7 comments:

  1. It's A Small World has got to be the world's worst earworm!

    Enjoy the fair! I always associate them with summer, but I guess down south October is perfect fair weather.

    I'd love to see $$ limits on campaigns. If someone other than Congress were deciding it would probably happen : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love our state fair here in Indiana, but it's in August. Talk about hot!! Hope you have lots of fun on your visit, and eat lots of great food. That's always one of my favorite parts of the state fair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Fair sounds like fun, especially the concert. I haven't been to the state fair in years. My kids usually go at least one time each year for a concert and a day of fair fun.
    I so agree with you on the election campaigns. It gets so annoying. I understand that we need to know the candidates and their stance on the issues, but all the mudslinging and negative ads and comments I can live without. Especially when they are re-lived endlessly in the media.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in TOTAL agreement with you #3 it just proves that you can be wholesome and family friendly and still have a message and some fun. I am from Iowa so the fair is big time there. I live in CA but get home every summer and we ALWAYS make time for the fair. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I have a song stuck in my head! "We're going to the carnival, we're going to the Fair, to see a senorita with ribbons in her hair." Enjoy the fair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your answer on chivalry. And I do not enjoy all the political mumbo-jumbo this time of year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh now I have 'it's a small world' in MY head! We used to go on that ride just to rest. Ha.

    ReplyDelete