Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Hodgepodge time

It's the weekly Hodgepodge time.  It's been a busy week full of  emotion.  I celebrated the life of my neighbor Don, and learned of my hubby's half-brother passing too.  I heard some other sad news, but also balanced it with good times with friends, and with enjoying this beautiful September weather boating and just beng outside. 

This is the first moment I have had to sit down and answer Joyce's Hodgepodge questions.

1. The hodgepodge falls on John Chapman's birth date.  He's more famously known as Johnny Appleseed...what's your favorite variety of apple?

Golden delicious. I like to just bite right in and enjoy the sweetness and juiceness of this apple! 

2. When did you last say "ick"? 

Just last week.  This is a true story.  Sometimes in the evening I leave our front door ajar so our pug Miss Honeybee can sit on the front porch and watch the world go by.  She loves being outside!  Hubby and I were right inside in the living room watching football.  Miss Bee came running in with something in her mouth.  Now, she's known to bring in a twig, or an acorn...but she outdid herself this time, and brought in a squirrel tail with some guts hanging on it! I screamed (IIIIICKKK!!) , she dropped it, and thankfully hubby came to the rescue with a pair of bar-b-que tongs and carried it outside.  I'm sure Miss Honeybee did not kill the poor squirrel (we have cats outside and fox roam around), but she found it and I think was pretty proud of herself for bringing it in....until I screamed ICK!!!!!!

3. Do you think there's a generation gap?

I want to say no, but I'm sure there is.  I know when I was a young person I thought the older generation was "square" and behind the times.  So, I'm pretty sure my daughters and their peers feel the same way about me and my generation.  I really TRY to stay current and to love change, and new fashions, etc.  but I also love history and nostalgia.  I sometimes wish the world moved slower.  I'm part of the older generation.  Geeez...    or should I say ICK !

4. What's on your computer screen saver? Do you change it often or leave it alone?

My screen saver is a picture I took of a pelican sitting on a pylon, posing nicely.  I took it awhile ago one day when at Murrells Inlet having dinner.   I don't change my screen saver pic very often but perhaps I will now.  Sometimes I will change it for the current holidays or seasons.

5. If you had the attention of the entire world for 2 minutes what would you say?

Please, please, please live in peace.  Accept everyone and their differences. Remember:  "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."   Trust God, take care of the poor, and feed the hungry.  

6. Four fashion trends to try this fall are brocade/jacquard (fancy fabrics), peplum, lace and printed pants...which of these four would you most likely wear?

I don't even know what peplum is.  I better look it up.  It sounds like the fashion styles his fall are a flashback to the hippie era with the fancy fabrics, prints, lace, etc.  I will not buy printed pants for a season.  No thanks.  Perhaps a nice top with lace on it.   I'm a pretty basic dresser, and enjoy the classic lines and fabrics.

7. What makes your bad day better?

A call from my daughters.  Turning up my country music and dancing with it.  A beautiful, sunny day.  The love of my doggie when I walk in the door.   Being thankful that I rarely have a bad day.

8. My random thought:

As I wrote earlier, and also devoted a post to last week, it seems the passing of a loved one, or good friend, can certainly bring everything in to perspective.  It makes you realize that it's all "temporary" and it's so important to enjoy each day on earth.    Go out today - and make the most of it! 

5 comments:

  1. An interesting set of hodgepodge answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you know, we get some interesting animal life (and pieces of animal life-ICK!!) up here too. The squirrel tale with innards attached would definitely have given me the shivers. And saying a prayer hubs was in town!

    You have had a lot this week. You are so right-every day's a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh, Ick is right! Yay for the Hubs to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was definitely icky. I hope the dog did not get sick. You are absolutely right to LIVE each day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have screamed too at the squirrel tail.
    I also agree with you regarding the passing of friends and family members, it does bring what is truly important in life into perspective.

    ReplyDelete