I can't believe it's January 15th already. January is half over. It was a month ago today that I was with my family in Las Vegas getting ready to see Tim McGraw & Faith Hill in concert. What a fun weekend it was!
But, now, it's a new month - and a new year - and a new weekly Hodgepodge! Here are the questions and my answers.
1. Lake Superior University has once again published a list of words/phrases they think should be banished from the Queen's English...here's the list for 2013 - fiscal cliff, kick the can down the road, double down, job creators/creations, passion/passionate, yolo (you only live once), spoiler alert, bucket list, trending, superfood, boneless wing, and guru. Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why?
Some of the words/phrases above I really like... but the one phrase I'd love to see gone is 'fiscal cliff'...and I want it gone because I don't want to keep hearing how the US is teetering on a financial depression. I watched President Obama's press conference yesterday and I agree with what he said when he said that the US must pay its debts, even if it means money going out that it above the fiscal ceiling. I also agree that our Congress has to learn to work and enact laws before we all get into a panic situation. I want to see the phrase 'fiscal cliff' gone because I want our country to live with smart, secure laws to prevent the situation from happening.
PS: There are boneless wings? I didn't know.
2. When was the last time you rode on a train?
I am guessing Joyce's question here does not include the airport shuttle train....or a subway train. I have only ridden once on what I consider a real train and that was when I was in my 20's and I took the Amtrak from Baltimore to Miami. Sounds fun... but it was LONG! I was surprised how often the train stopped. Many, many small towns have train stations and we stopped at all of them! Ha! It was an interesting experience to do...once.
3. Bagels - yay or nay? Favorite flavor? Favorite topping?
Yes, I like bagels and would get them from time to time when I lived in New Jersey. That part of the country has the best bagels. I don't eat them often since moving. My favorite flavor: cinnamon and raison. Topping? Lots of cream cheese slathered on top of the warm bagel. So, maybe it's a good thing I don't eat them often! ha!
4. Tis the season of awards shows...if you could star in a movie already made which one would you choose?
Wow! Interesting question. If I'm going to dream, let me dream big! I think it would be a musical because if I'm dreaming than I'm an excellent singer and dancer! And, I get the romantic, handsome guy! What movie has that? Perhaps I'd be the female star in "Grease" or in "Sound of Music"... yep, that would be nice! ( :
5. The move towards single gender classrooms has been making the news in recent months...what say you? do you think kids perform better if separated by gender and are taught differently or is that discrimination? If you're a parent, is this something you'd support in regard to your own children?
I think each unique child learns/performs in their own way. I don't think it's a gender difference. I know of girls that are studious and sit still but I also know some that need alternative options for the classroom. I know boys that excel in a "normal classroom" but others that need a different setup. So, it's a student by student decision - and it should come from the parents & teachers together. Yes, I would place my children into alternative teaching classrooms if I thought it would be the best way for them to learn. Of course.
6. What's your favorite thing about staying in a hotel?
Just one thing? Well, if I'm saying what I like then it's got to be from a 4 star hotel - with a wonderful king size bed with one of those great comforters on it! I love them!! I love a really fancy, clean bathroom too! Mini-bars are nice too!
7. Do you have a 'word' for 2013? What's the story behind your choice?
This is a bloggers question. I have noticed some of my blogging friends have picked a word - to use, or to live by this year. I have not picked one....til now. How about grace? Yes - I thi k that's an appropriate word for the year. God loves me and never gives up on me - with His grace. I should offer grace to those I know, or don't know and meet along my way each day.
8. My random thought.
I am excited for "American Idol" starting back up tomorrow night! I have watched AI since the beginning and still consider it the best of the talent shows on TV. Some megastars have been discovered from the show. My favorites: Carrie Underwood, Kris Allen, Phillip Phillips. It's the one show I have picked up the phone and voted on. I especially look forward to seeing new judge Keith Urban!! He's one of my favorite musicians - the guy is a triple threat: writer, singer, musician. And, he's cute. I can't wait how he deals with the diva ladies he is sitting with on the panel!
Have a good week friends!