Sunday, March 3, 2013

Kicking the bucket list down the road.

Yes, I know...really the saying is "kicking the can down the road" but, I have been thinking about the trend to make a bucket list and then to figure out how to accomplish the items on it.    I have friends who have made rather large lists of things to do, or to learn, or finish... items to accomplish within their lifetime. 

It stems from a movie that came out a few years back with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman called "The Bucket List"  where they play characters who meet when they share a hospital room and talk about what they still want to do before they die.  They go off together on an adventure to accomplish some of the items - but along the way, the most important thing becomes their relationship - and Jack's character re-uniting with his daughter.

So, the movie really tells us that the people in our lives are the most important reason for living. It's about sharing our lives and expressing love!  It's not about doing things.

I digress though, because I realize that people have started their own bucket lists and I really didn't consider it a bad thing, but I have worried myself for awhile trying to rattle my brain about what I still want on my list - what do I want to do, to see, to accomplish before I die?   

I realize at my age some things are just impossible.   I would love to have the talents of singing, of playing guitar, and of being a better piano player.  I would love to be fit enough to run a marathon.  I would love to shoot 90 on the golf course.   These things are just not going to happen.   I don't want them on a bucket list because I could never scratch them off!  

So, then I thought about places I'd still like to see.  Again, I rattled my brain.  I have been fortunate to travel some throughout my life so far.  I have been to some pretty interesting places.  I have been in various states in the US, to countries in Europe, to Mexico, Martinque,  and other islands in the Caribbean.  Guatemala, Belize - in Central America too.  I've learned history, and I have set my eyes on some gorgeous sights!   But I can't think of a place I "need" to see and put on a bucket list.  And, truth be told, most of my travels have been fun because of the people I was with on the trips.

I don't want to stop learning, or reading, or doing crosswords, and I love being involved with music.  I love spending time with family and friends. I want to contribute and help my fellowman.

But, I think the whole idea of "making a bucket list" is something I will now give up on.  I find it frustrating and futile.  I prefer to be content on being where I am, and being with the people I have the joy of knowing.  To steal from another saying "my bucket is full" and I don't need to find ways to fill it anymore.    I'm just going to "kick the bucket on down the road."


No comments:

Post a Comment