It's the last set of Hodgepodge questions for February so that means Spring is really around the corner. Right? Here in the lowcountry we have had lots of rain lately. I have seen on the news the blizzard conditions happening in the middle of the country and know Spring seems like a distant dream for them. Stay warm and safe everyone there. Come on Spring!
1. When were you last facing an ocean? Using just ONE word, describe how you felt as you faced that ocean.
I live about 1 1/2 miles from the ocean so I see it often. The last time? Last week if you don't count catching glimpses from my car as I'm driving around. One word: Serene. At least that's the way I like it - when it's not stirred up from a storm.
2. What are three sounds you hate to hear?
1. The sound of a grown person crying. Children cry easily and get over it quickly. When a grown-up cries it's due to a major catastrophe and it's heartbreaking to hear. 2. A loud boom-box system in a car next to me at the stoplight. It's so invading. I love music too but I don't need to crank it SO LOUD that it makes my car & the cars around rumble! 3. People using foul language - all the time. I only use a "bad word" when I am at a boiling point and thankfully that rarely happens. People who spew "f words" and other insulting words all the time make me cringe.
3. When you shop for yourself, do you try everything on in the store before buying or do you buy, try on at home, and then return what you don't like or what doesn't fit?
When it comes to most clothing I try it on at the store first. I know that sizing differs and styles "sit" differenting on bodies. I am tall and have to check arm and pant lengths. The only time I may not try on something is if it's a basic top and I don't fear it not fitting. I NEVER return clothes (lazy?)... I know I should. But, if I buy something and then change my mind on the fit or if I just decide I don't like it, then I donate it to the Salvation Army.
4. February 26th is National Pistachio Day...are you a fan of the little green nut? Do you use them in cooking and baking, or prefer to eat them right out of the shell?
I am not a fan. If pistachios are in a mixed nut dish I will eat them, but I never buy them alone - or use them in cooking or baking.
5. When did you last have to compromise with someone? Were you happy to reach this compromise or slightly irrated it was necessary?
Joyce: are you reading my mind?? Yesterday I compromised. I think in a marriage (if you want it to be successful anyway) you have to learn to compromise - because you love the other person and you want them to be happy. (It's not always about me! ha) Seriously, I think I compromise in a healthy way all the time. If only Congress could realize it's a necessary part of life!!
6. Have you ever written a letter to an elected official? Did you get a response?
Again, Joyce: are you reading my mind?? I sent off a letter just last week to both my state's Senators on the Assault weapon gun control need. Actually, I get mail from the Brady Campaign on Gun Control and it had a form letter...I signed it, and sent it on. I have also sent emails to my representantives from time to time about issues that mean a lot to me. If I get a response back, it's always the standard reply..."thank you for your comment...blah, blah, blah." But, I do feel we citizens need to send our reps our concerns. They are supposed to be representing us, right? (One can dream!)
7. We "march" into a new month this week... what's something on your March calendar guaranteed to make you smile?
One thing? March 17th is my mother's birthday. She has passed on, but it's still a day to celebrate her and to think extra about the woman she was, and to think back on my happy memories about her.
8. My random thought.
I'm also looking forward to Easter at the end of March. It's early this year. I plan on spending some time with my daughters on that weekend. Plus, I love the Easter celebration - I love the Easter music!
All for now. Know the saying "April showers bring May flowers?" Well, I'm hoping February showers bring March flowers here... thankfully sping arrives early here. I can't wait for the trees and bushes to bloom! It's such a pretty time!