Sunday, October 13, 2013

Was it a gift and a sign from heaven?

I'm passing this along because to some who read it this is an amazing story of the intertwining of life now and life in heaven. For some, it's just a weird coincidence.  How do you feel about it?

About two weeks ago I was pulling weeds by my driveway in an area I often need to go and "clean up."  As hard as I try the weeds seem to pop back up and therefore every so often I take time to cut some of the bushes back and pull new weeds out of the mulch.

On this day as I was weeding I saw something shiny, and I picked it up.  It was a tiny little gold ring.  I took off my garden glove and put it on my pinkie and then kept on working.  I didn't think much about finding it at the time.

A day or two later I asked my next door neighbor if the ring I found belonged to her. It did not.  I showed her the ring and she found a number engraved inside so she googled it and found out the ring was 18 carat gold.  Wow!  What a nice find!

But, I didn't feel right keeping it if it belonged to someone else.  I asked my daughters if they had lost a little ring - and I think I showed it to them when we got together two weekends ago at a tailgating party.   Neither daughter said it was their ring, or knew who it might belong to.

I had one last thought.  For a short while my sister-in-law had lived with us so I considered that  perhaps she had lost the ring.  I also felt maybe when she was moving items from her car it fell out.  So, I saw her this past Friday night - and told her about how I found a ring in the mulch and I  showed it to her.

She immediately recognized it... as being a small ring that her mother (my mother-in-law) had owned. She had several like it.  My mother-in-law passed away 4 years ago!!  My sister and I looked at each other - and in that instant knew that my mother-in-law put that ring there for me to find.  I have heard about pennies on the ground... and other ways the deceased have sent a message...like a phone ringing - and nobody there (not even a telemarketer!)  My mother-in-law gave me this ring!

I wear the ring now - and I feel good knowing that it came from my beloved mother-in-law.  How it got to me, and how long it was in the mulch I will never know for sure.  But, I do think finding it was a way for her to connect to me.  

What do you think?   Do you believe?

No comments:

Post a Comment