Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Another set of hodgepodge questions to ponder.

We are waiting for an arctic blast to come down here in Carolina, but I know my northern friends are about to get it even worse.  Hopefully, the Hodgepodge questions and my answers can warm your heart for a minute, and help you forget about Mother Nature creating havoc outdoors.

1.  It was decided on Sunday that the Denver Broncos will meet the Seattle Seahawks in this year's Super Bowl.  So, when was the last time you bowled?  Not where you thought this question was going, is it?  Do you like to bowl? Are you any good? 

Well, it's been over 7 years since I moved from Sparta, NJ - and so it's been that long since I have bowled.  When I lived there I was very involved in the Sparta Friends & Neighbors Club, and it had a weekly ladies bowling league.  I never played on a team, but I was a sub and filled in often, sometimes playing every week (every Thursday.)  The league was very social and fun.  So, I enjoyed the fellowship - and yes, I enjoyed bowling.  I think my all-time high was a little under 200.  Not bad - not good either.

2.  Should sports stars be role models? 

I think if you asked any professional sports person if there was someone they looked up to as a kid, and admired,  they'd say yes.  It's hard not to be a public figure who has a talent and who gets a lot of attention and NOT be a role model.  It just comes with the territory.  Unfortunately, sports stars are human like everyone else, and just because they excel in their physical ability, it doesn't mean they are very smart in what they always do and say.

But, I do think that sports stars should be aware that along with fame and big bucks comes a responsibility to act a certain way…to remember what it's like to be that young kid.

In this age of immediate texting, with twitter, and with everyone taking pictures it is a challenging thing to be a role model. One wrong thing said, or wrong act, can be very damaging.   It's sad but true.

3.  January is National Oatmeal month… are you a fan?  How do you like your oats? 

It's not that I do not like oatmeal, I just never think of eating it!  I don't know why.  I know it's healthy, and a warm start to the day.   I prefer coffee, and yes, my morning peanut butter sandwich.  I make one every single morning. I'm a creature of habit.

4.  What is one book on your reading list for 2014?  

I plan to read "I am Malala" by Malala Yousafzai very soon.   I have many books on my list, and I am  happy I belong to a Book Club that helps to widen my reading horizons.

5.  What would you like your future self to say to your present self? 

"Well done."

6.  When scrolling through the TV guide, what is one movie title that makes you stop, grab the popcorn, and watch for a while? 

That just happened to me the other night.  Hubby and I were scrolling and came across "Moulin Rouge" and we HAD to stop and watch it.  I love the music, the wacky way it was made, and the love story.  Both Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman did an excellent job!  "I will love you until my dying day…. come what may!"  

I also would stop and watch "Bull Durham" if I came upon it while scrolling.  Again, I love the actors, the characters they play, and the dialogue is so memorable!   "Oh my!"  

In general I'm a sucker for musicals, so I would stop for "The Sound of Music", for "White Christmas" and "Peter Pan" (the original with Mary Martin…do they ever show it anymore?? )

7.  What are two style trends you hope never come back into fashion? 

This is a toughie question for me.  Why?  Because I am not a big fashion person who follows trends.  I'm all about comfort.  I especially won't go with the trends for the most part if they seem painful to wear AND like something that will go in and out quickly.   I know clunky, heavy shoes are in again but I would not wear them.  I also don't like low cut jeans so when you sit down your butt shows.  Really, I would be perfectly happy wearing shorts and flip flops year round.   ( :

8.  My random thought. 

Ok.  So, did you watch the commercials during last Sunday's championship football games?  If so, you probably saw ex-governor Arnold Shwartzenagger (sp.?) in a commercial for Bud Light wearing a stupid-looking wig and getting ready to play ping pong?   Has he gone off the deep end?  Will he do anything to be on TV again?  As I watched I just kept thinking how Maria Shriver must be happy she is not with him now because he's acting like a fool.   I think the commercial "will be continued" during the Super Bowl and I can't help but wonder how low will Arnold go??  I guess we will see.   Crazy!












7 comments:

  1. Loved your answers. I have mine saved for tomorrow. Good luck with your snow. Still snowing here in upstate NY. (well..was..it has taken a break for awhile.)-Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont know your age, but I tend to agree with your answers as to fashion, movies, etc. Stay warm and safe on this winter day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right with you on #7!! My hodgepodge will post tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Moulin Rouge-such pretty music! I've never joined the bowling teams here, even as a sub. I hesitate to commit to something that is weekly, because we are always on the go. I have too many hobbies already : ) Enjoy your day...we're at 1 degree with wind. Good day to clean out the office, which is overdue anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have "Bull Durham" on video however have no VCR to play it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, your breakfast sounds delicious. Since going gluten free I miss my pb&j sandwiches, especially for breakfast. I haven't seen that commercial yet but it does sound ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard the other day that the people who put "The Sound of Music" on tv (which, in my opinion was a total disaster!) as a stage production have slated "Peter Pan" to be next.

    ReplyDelete