Tuesday, May 13, 2014

More May moments and memories….

Welcome to this week's Hodgepodge questions and answers - in the merry, merry month of May!

1.  It's still May, right?  When were you last in the middle of something that might be described as mayhem?

Fortunately I do not get myself into situations where mayhem takes place.  I don't go shopping on Black Friday (no way, no ma'am) and in general I don't hang out in large crowds often.   Even the music concerts I go to are "low key" and friendly.  I love country music concerts because the crowds there are happy and it's a family environment.   All ages.  Courteous people for the most part.

2. When did you last feel dismayed? 

Last feel it?   Well I think I feel dismayed ALL the time when I think of our political system and the undermining that goes on in Congress, with lobbyists, etc.  It's so disheartening…

3.  What's a food combination you like, but other people may find strange?  

My mother used to make peanut butter, mayonnaise, and lettuce sandwiches for me as a kid - and it's still one of my favorite ways to eat peanut butter.  I think some people find that the combination is rather odd, but let me tell you, it's wonderful!  The mayo helps keep the pb from being too sticky and the lettuce adds some crunch.   Try it!!

4.  "It's never too late to be what you might have been."   Do you think that's true?  Why or why not? 

Absolutely!  Age is just a number!  It's never too late to pursue something you want to try, or to learn a new craft or technique.  A person should not live with regrets about not doing something earlier in their life. Do it now!

As I get into my "second half of life" I hope I can still stay active, and engaged - and I think to be that way I need to keep "current" with everything going on.  So, I need stay interested in what is going on in the world and right here at home.

5.  US News and World Report  listed the best historic destinations in the US as follows -  Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA, Williamsburg, VA, Charleston, SC, Boston, MA, Richmond, VA, Savannah, GA, Santa Fe, NM, Yellowstone, San Antonio, TX, San Francisco, CA, New Orleans, LA, and Charlottesville, VA.

Of the list how many have you seen in person?  Which TWO sites on the list would you most like to see in person? 

Places I have seen:    Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA, Williamsburg, VA, Charleston, SC, Boston, MA, Richmond, VA, Savannah, GA, Santa Fe, NM, San Francisco, CA, and Charlottesville, VA.  

BUT - of this list I would certainly enjoy revisiting them ALL to see more, and to take in more of the history.  

Two I have not been to YET are San Antonio, TX and New Orleans, LA.   Maybe one day….

6.  May is National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. If you had to participate in a a single fitness activity for the next half hour, which activity would you choose? 

Does golf count as a physical activity?  ha!!  I think the way I play it does!  I get in a lot of swinging of the club (with my high score) which is good for the waist ( :   and I walk a lot on the golf course chasing that little white ball around!  

7.  What did you like best about the city, town, or neighborhood where you grew up? 

Well, I grew up in a couple of locations… but for this answer I will pick the town (Bucyrus, Ohio) I lived in from 7th grade through my junior year of high school. Those were years when I was given some freedom by my parents to walk around town with my friends.  We were fortunate to live in a small enough place that they didn't worry (or at least I didn't think they worried) about me being out - and they knew lots of people in town who were "keeping an eye on me."

I was the pastor's kid - so I was "known" for that.   I'm not complaining… and I never thought about it as a negative thing.     I had two best friends, and we three were known as "The Three Muskateers" among our classmates.  When you saw one of us, you saw all three!    Side note:  Even though I moved away before my senior year, I still get invited to the reunions and I just got my invitation for my 40th year reunion!  40 years!!!   Crazy!    I doubt I will go because I don't live in Ohio anymore -  although it would be fun.

8.  My random thought. 

Summertime is coming - and some days this week have felt like it is here in the low country!  The humidity is back, and the May flies are a bitin'!   I'm not complaining… I love the longer days of sunlight and I love walking outdoors without grabbing a jacket.  An evening warm breeze is the best!
Aaaahhhh

I hope your weather is good for you too!  Happy mid-May!!!


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for your lovely answers. I will have to hop over to Joyce's...Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree you're never too old to try to learn new things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is it Mark Twain said about golf, that it's a good walk spoiled by a little white ball? :-) I actually enjoy golf too - especially when the golf course is in a gorgeous location (My boss is at Pebble Beach right now and I'm SO jealous!) have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Golf would count if I were playing too! I think I could handle pb and mayo, it's the lettuce that is throwing me off : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a PK in a small town, too, back in the mid-70's and had two best friends. What a great kind of place to grow up. Oh, and if I played golf "your" way (which would be way better than "my" way), I would certainly call it a workout!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I hopped over from Joyce's Hodgepodge list for a visit. I'm so glad I did! I really enjoyed reading your post. Your sandwich sounds interesting. I like peanut butter with bacon. ;) I'll have to give the mayo a try. =) I'm so glad summer is on its way too.Blessings and Sunshine, Valerie

    ReplyDelete