Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Tuesday's Hodgepodge

It's good to have the Hodgepodge leader Joyce back after a week off.  She's been preparing for her daughter's upcoming wedding and took last week off to aget some things done for it.   I can certainly relate to her needing time, and I can relate to her Hodgepodge questions on the wedding subject - see question #3 today.

Here we go…

1.  We celebrate Veteran's Day in the US of A on November 11th.  When did you last interact with a member of the armed forces (either currently serving or retired)?   Have you ever written a letter to a soldier, bought a meal or coffee for a soldier, said an unprompted thank you to a soldier you encountered out and about somewhere? 

Thank you veterans!  I can not remember a moment when I encountered a soldier and unprompted gave them a thank you.  Shame on me. We did recognize all the soldiers and vets at our church this past Sunday and gave them a rousing round of applause.  A special prayer was said for their safety.   A bit later today I am participating in a VFW ceremony to honor veterans because I am part of our community band.  I am looking forward to it. We will be playing patriotic songs and one piece in particular is a medley of all the armed forces individual hymns.

Last year I designated a month to try and do an act of random kindness each day (I should really keep at it) and my cousin and I paid a good portion of a bill for some NYC police officers sitting at a lunch table near us.

I need to do more in this way.  All men and women in uniform sacrifice and they have such a strong belief in being an active part of our system.   It's very honorable and all veterans need to be thanked!!

2.  You have fifty pounds of anything at all (except money)..  what would you choose? 

oh wow.   50 pounds of food to give to a food bank.  50 pounds of clothing or blankets to give to a shelter.  50 pounds of baby clothes to use in the layette baskets we make for our local hospital.   50 pounds of dog food for the animal shelter.

3.   When did you last receive an invitation in the 'real mail'?  What was it for and did you attend?  When it comes to RSVPing, are you an early responder or a 'last minute, barely under the wire' kind of guest? 

The last invitation that came through "snail mail" was an invitation to my cousin and her significant other's joint birthday party at their home.  It was nice to receive it that way because it did make it more special and seem like more of an "event."  I was able to hang it on the refrigerator as a reminder.  I did attend and had a really nice time!

I know Joyce is asking because she is in the middle of wedding guest lists, sending invitations,  and keeping track of those that come back.   We will be doing the same thing this Spring as we prepare for my daughter's wedding in April.   More on that in question #7.

I am an early responder to RSVP's.  For two reasons:  I like to respond before I forget or lose the invitation!  And I also like to respond early because I know it helps the host get an accurate count of the  number of attendees.

I am not a "wait to the last minute" person with anything in life if I can help it.   It causes me more stress.

4.  What's something you really don't like to waste? 

i don't know why this is a tough question but I am sitting here pondering the answer.   Time?   Well, sometimes wasting time is okay.  We all need to sit back and be still occasionally. We need to pace ourselves.  So, it's really NOT wasting time then, right?

Money?  I tend to think I fall somewhere in the middle when it comes to being frugal vs. being decadent with money.

I am not a hoarder. I don't save every grocery bag, or reuse my Reynolds wrap.  I am an active recycler…paper, plastics, glass.     So - hmmmm.  I'm kinda stuck on this question.

5.  Cheers, Friends, MASH, Seinfeld…  of the ones listed, your favorite long-running sitcom? 

This question is like asking which of your children is your favorite!   All 4 of these TV shows bring back wonderful memories for me.  I loved watching them all! I loved the characters, and humor.  I loved the touching moments (well, I don't think Seinfeld had any of those.)   Each show became iconic in it's own way.   They all end up on my list with earlier shows like the Dick Van Dyke Show, I Love Lucy, the Andy Griffith Show, and the Mary Tyler Moore Show.  Love love love!

6.  What decision are you glad you made. 

Easy answer.  The decision to marry my hubby!   I have never doubted the decision and have no regrets.   We have had awesome years together and have produced two wonderful daughters.  Our life together is comfortable, but each year brings interesting events.    Which leads to the next question…

7.  In this month of thanksgiving, what is one thing that's different today than it was a year ago that you're grateful for? 

Easy answer.  Daughter #1 became engaged to a wonderful guy this past year! I am grateful for them finding each other, and for being so happy together, and for making a commitment to become one, to start a new life together!  I am grateful for being a part of the wedding plans.  I am grateful that we as a family are able to share in the joy! I am grateful for finally getting a son!

8.  My random thought. 

I have a few random thoughts this morning…

* Some days seem uneventful in our lives. But some occasionally come along that are very impactful.  I had one of the latter on Sunday. (You can read my blog post before this one to learn more.)

* The winter weather is really barreling down on some places in the US today.  Stay warm and safe northern friends!

* Regardless of politics or belief in when to be at war and when not to, people who serve our country deserve our respect.  I can never know the fear of being on a frontline or in handling a weapon that can kill.  It's a brave thing, and most do it for love of God, country and family.   Thank you!!






4 comments:

  1. We're in the same place with our gratitude : ) It will be fun to have boys in the family! My daughter is home right now, and loves checking the mail. So exciting to see an RSVP there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just thrilled for you to be gaining a son...how exciting that must be! I'm sure it will be such fun to see all your planning to come to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the wedding news! Sorry about your Aunt Judy - I am sure she is in a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This must have been the year for engagements-my youngest daughter became engaged this year, also.

    ReplyDelete