Here are today's questions and my answers.
1. March is National Women's History Month. In that vein, who are three women who've been influential in your life? How so?
1. My mother, Gloria Milheim. She was a very devoted wife and was a wonderful example on how to be in a long and loving marriage. She was a sweet, caring mother and I always felt my dad, my siblings and I were her "reason" for being. She was 'old school' and traditional - but isn't that a good kind of mom to be? She wasn't a strong woman under today's standards, but she was extremely loyal, spoke well of everyone, and loved her role in life.
2. My mother-in-law Carol Dowdy. She scared me when I first met her because she was so strong (on the outside. I later found she out she had her softness side and her weakness too), and she was at a time in her life that she could travel to see us and she made time for hubby and me. She never made me feel like I was not the right one for her little boy. I appreciated that she accepted me immediately. Then when our daughters came around, she made them feel like they walked on the moon. For her, they did! She loved them incredibly and they loved her back the same.
3. My first female boss was Denise Oliver. She was the Program Director at 98 ROCK and she still did a 3 hour slot on-air each day. She was strong, and fair, and she did not use being a female to her advantage to get things done. She was business-like, and she was a pioneer for women in radio management by in the 80's. She helped start that radio station and it was a powerhouse in Baltimore (and I think it still does quite well) back when I worked there. I was honored to work by her.
2. In what ways do you think women have it easier than men?
This is an interesting question because we know there are many ways that women have it tougher in the workplace and still have unequal rights and pay. But, thankfully, women do have more choices than men in terms of working outside the home or inside the home. Women also have the ability to show their genuine emotions more than men. Some may say that is a hindrance, but I think it's an asset. Women "experience" all emotions more - or at least can "let them out" and share them. Men have been burdened by society telling them to keep that 'stiff upper lip' and to hold in emotions.
3. What do you need most right now: faith, love, hope, or peace?
Well, they are all combined. But, I will say my faith is strong, and my love is there...and I am willing to give it. Faith and love together give me personal peace.
So, I will say I need more hope right now. I need it as I watch this crazy political world unfold. I need it as my church family continues to struggle with many issues. I need it for myself as I wait for my foot to heal (a stress fracture.)
4. Do you have a collection? If so, what do you collect and why?
I have had several collections over the years. I used to buy the Cat's Meow wooden houses from places I lived or visited. I don't add to the collection anymore but I enjoy the ones I have.
I also used to collect a Christmas ornament from the places we vacationed, or visited. I have too many ornaments now - so I stopped collecting them. lol
5. Plaids, checks, polka dots, stripes...your favorite?
I am thinking about what is in my closet. I think of the 4 listed, I have the most stripes.
6. In what ways are you the same as your childhood self?
Oh my! Funny question. I know I have aged and hopefully I have gotten a bit smarter through the years, but I think I am still a gullible person. I still try to believe what people tell me as truth. I don't look for things hidden under the surface and I don't think about how people are doing something just to only better themselves. Gullible... yep, that's me.
7. You're a contestant on the TV game show Jeopardy. What category will you ace?
I love Jeopardy and watch it every evening if I am home! But, that doesn't mean I answer well or quickly enough! I think I would do okay in a music category, especially about singers of the 80's. And, I certainly could ace a country music category!! Bring it on!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
So, I am loving the days of spring here this week! Do you have nice temperatures where you are? Our flowers are starting to open and as they open I come more alive with them!! I love sitting outdoors listening to the birds. I love walking and doing yard work too - but I am trying really hard to temper it so my foot will heal. It's the start of flip-flop weather here and I need to get my foot ready for them!!! ( :