Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Sweet sweet summertime!

It's back!!!      After a week away, the Hodgepodge is back!

Here are this week's questions and my answers.  Feel free to 'pipe in' and tell me what you think!


1. It's officially summer (in the northern hemisphere anyway). Which summer month is best and why?

I love all the summer months but it I must pick one I will say my favorite is July.  For me, it is the month of family activities,  specifically our Fourth of July get-together at the 'riva' and then the  Milheim family get-together at Lakeside.


2. Can you swim? How did you learn? June 27th is National Sunglasses Day. How many pair do you own?
I can swim but I don't have good endurance swimming -  because I rarely swim!    It's been a couple of years since I have gone to the neighborhood pool and did some laps.  I like it as a form of exercise because it's cooling off, having fun, and working out together.  I really should go this summer! I have no excuses.

I learned to swim when my parents sent me to swim lessons as a kid.  I went to a YMCA program at an indoor pool.  I remember it well.  I took lessons up to the skill of achieving how to dive off the diving board.  I remember being frightened!  lol

Sunglasses:  I only have two pair that are my prescription - and I NEED the prescription to see well, especially to drive a car.   I have a few other pairs of sunglasses that I keep in a drawer.  I keep them mostly for others who come to visit and may have forgetten their own.  When you live at the beach you need sunglasses! 


3. What characteristic do you judge most harshly in yourself? How about in others?
Good question.  I think I judge myself in how I use my time.  I am fortunate to have 'free time' but I don't like to waste too much of it.  I remind myself that sometimes I need (as everyone does) down time to just 'be'.  My soul needs feeding and I get that from sitting outside, or listening to music.   But, I can not sit still and watch TV without doing something else at the same time... even if it's doing a crossword, or doing something on the computer.  
I get antsy after a few hours of time when I am not 'productive' in some way. Yes,  I consider sitting and  reading valuable.  But, often I like to get physically moving - to go outside and do garden work, or work on a project.

A characteristic in others?   I judge others (often wrongly I realize) if I think they are self-centered and do not give back. 


4. Robert Frost wrote the now well known poem entitled The Road Not Taken. What's a road (literal or figurative) you've always wanted to travel, and where do you hope it takes you? 
Yes, I can come up with roads or paths that might be interesting and beautiful to travel, but I don't have a need to go anywhere.  Traveling is not really top on my list of things to do!  I don't like the stress involved with it.  And, in the past I have had opportunities, actually throughout my life, to see many places.  Okay - I haven't walked along the great wall of China, or safaried in Africa.  I haven't cruised up to Alaska or down the great rivers of Europe.   So, those would all be nice 'roads' to travel.  But, none of them are calling to me to leave my little piece of paradise here. 

5. Popsicles-yay or nay? If you answered yay, what's your favorite flavor? 
Nay.  I can't remember the last time I had a popsicle!  Oh wait... the last time was a couple of summers ago at Lakeside and we had champagne and popped a popsicle in it for flavor!  ha!!  Other then that one time I think I was a kid the last time I had a popsicle.


6. Brexit-on a scale of 1-10 how knowledgeable are you on what's involved here? (1=very knowledgeable and 10=what's Brexit) Is this news you'll follow or is it something you think won't impact your life in any way shape or form?
I rate myself as a 4 right now.  I have been watching the news each day and I try to stay informed, BUT I admit the Brexit  (Britian-exit) has not been a high priority for me.  I realize that we live in a very global world, and yes, actions anywhere in the world can effect our economy, our stock market, immigration concerns, etc.  

But, I think we still have to "wait and see"  what happens with the Brits - and if other European countries decide to leave the union. 


7. Share a favorite song on your summer play list.
One of my all time favorite summer songs is Kenny Chesney's "Summertime" !  Classic words - classic feel good sweet summertime song!


 Summertime is finally here
That old ballpark, man, is back in gear
Out on 49
Man I can see the lights

School's out and the nights roll in
Man, just like a long lost friend
You ain't seen in a while
And can't help but smile

And it's two bare feet on the dashboard
Young love and an old Ford
Cheap shades and a tattoo
And a Yoo-Hoo bottle on the floorboard

Perfect song on the radio
Sing along 'cause it's one we know
It's a smile, it's a kiss
It's a sip of wine, it's summertime
Sweet summertime

Temperature says 93
Down at the Deposit and Guarantee
But that swimmin' hole
It's nice and cold

Bikini bottoms underneath
But the boys' hearts still skip a beat
When them girls shimmy off
Them old cutoffs

And it's two bare feet on the dashboard
Young love and an old Ford
Cheap shades and a tattoo
And a Yoo-Hoo bottle on the floorboard

Perfect song on the radio
Sing along 'cause it's one we know
It's a smile, it's a kiss
It's a sip of wine, it's summertime
Sweet summertime

The more things change
The more they stay the same
Don't matter how old you are
When you know what I'm talkin' 'bout
Yeah baby when you got

Two bare feet on the dashboard
Young love and an old Ford
Cheap shades and a tattoo
And a Yoo-Hoo bottle rollin' on the floorboard

Perfect song on the radio
Sing along 'cause it's one we know
It's a smile, it's a kiss
It's a sip of wine, it's summertime
Sweet summertime
8. Insert your own random thought here. 
The 4th of July is Monday and it really is the one and only day of the year that all Americans stop concentrating on all their differences, and celebrate together!  Nobody asks which party you support, or what causes you believe in.  Instead, we all stop and for ONE DAY and say we LOVE America!  We celebrate this great land and we celebrate it's founders. We celebrate with picnics and fireworks. We laugh and we feel fortunate to live in this great country!   Let's try and keep that feeling on July 5th...and the 6th, and 7th... and on...

Be safe and be Happy 4TH OF JULY!!

7 comments:

  1. A family get together at the lakeside sides wonderful...enjoy! Now that popsicle in the champagne sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a problem with how I spend my time too. I never sit doing nothing and often I'm multitasking like you but I don't always feel very productive so then I feel guilty. Happy Independance day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That song will be locked in my head all day now! Love it! Have a Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man! I never thought about dipping a popsicle in champagne! I might have to do that. I picked July as well because that's Baby M's predicted birth month! We're hosting a 4th gathering this year. Mostly because I found all this red, white, and blue food on Pinterest. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping to get together with my kids and grandkids this 4th of July. I really want to have a cookout and go see some fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Kenny song : ) I think we're mostly sticking close to home in July and I can't tell you how excited I am about that. We've been on the road too much these past couple of months. Now that the boat is in the water we'll be on the water relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now I will be humming that song all day long :)

    ReplyDelete