Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Lottery and April Fool's Day!

As I type this I have not yet heard if there is one winner or many winners in the mega-million lottery event. I haven't watched the news yet.   But, during the past few days the talk around town and on TV  has been all about how huge the winning amount is, and just what people would do if they were "lucky" enough to be the holder of that winning ticket.

What would you do? 

As a quick response, I think we would answer that we'd pay off bills, then buy a bigger car and house, buy more stuff.  And, give money to our family and friends of course.   Oh - and to charity.  But which ones?  How much?  How much to keep and how much to give away?  How much money is enough? 

Earlier today I looked on the calendar and realized tomorrow is April 1st - APRIL FOOL'S DAY - and it became a bit ironic to me.  Could the lottery winner be the biggest April fool?  

I have heard about past winners and the troubles they encountered after coming into big money overnight.  How people come out of the woodwork to get a piece of the green pie.  Distant "friends"  and those rarely seen, twice-removed on your mother's side, family members show up.  Scammers call asking for help, or offer to help with the accounting, or investing of the new riches. 

All of a sudden the winner is a celebrity - and is unprepared for the change of behavior around him or her, and can't trust ANYONE anymore.   The money soon becomes a burden. 

I hope that whoever holds the winning ticket stays hidden as best as possible for awhile.  I hope this person is smart enough to know it's a big responsibility.  And, I hope the money can bring joy to an already good life, and to those the person decides to then help - the world needs are many.

What is the ole saying?  "A fool and his money are soon parted."   

Happy April Fool's Day Lottery winner!

1 comment:

  1. We didn't win (have to buy a ticket in order to win - ha!), although one of the winning tickets was sold about 45 min. from here. I have a long list of things that I'd do with that money, but I know that we don't need it ... God has graciously given us more than enough as it is. And I'm thankful for that.

    Happy April to you!

    ReplyDelete