After a week's break for Independence Day celebrations, the Hodgepodge is back! Thank you Joyce. Here are her questions and my answers. Please feel free to respond. I love to know who's reading the blog and I love comments.
1. How often do you check the weather? How do you check the weather?
I check the weather most mornings. Our local paper has a full page on the back of a section devoted to local, national, and international weather. Often I have on HLN News on TV while getting ready in the morning, so I hear the weather there too. I like to know what's going on where my family members live. I also use my computer's "Weather Bug" or my Iphone weather app during the day if I see a storm approaching.
2. "Happiness in marriage is entirely a matter of chance. If the dispositions of the parties are ever so well known to each other or even are similiar beforehand, it does not advance their felicity in the least. They always continue to grow sufficiently unlike afterwards to have their share of vexation; and it is better to know as little as possible of the defects of the person with whom you are to pass your life." - Jane Austen, "Pride and Prejudice"
Agree or disagree? Why?
As much as I love Jane Austen's writing I disagree with this. I think the more you know about a partner the better. The good AND the bad. Then, if you still love them and want to be with them, a marriage can work and withstand the years. Yes, people continue to change throughout life but it's best to at least start out knowing as much as possible. Secrets are never good.
3. Do you like to dance? Have you ever taken dance lessons?
I love to dance! I used to go out dancing in my younger years. Good exercise and lots of fun! I don't go "out" like that anymore so I don't have many opportunities. I must say it has to be GOOD music to dance to... and I have to be in an environment where I don't feel on display. (I suppose a glass of wine or two helps. Ha) I have never taken any dance lessons. I have done Zumba though. Does that count?
4. Fresh from the oven peach pie or homemade peach ice cream? Pick one.
I would pick the pie with the ice cream on top! YUMMMMM!
5. Should people accept unfairness and learn to make the best of it?
I love how Joyce throws in this "serious" question right after pie & ice cream! lol. I do NOT think people should accept unfairness, but at the same time I know this world is not fair. I remember telling my daughters when they were young "life is not fair." I wanted them to understand that there are times when they will be disappointed and that they must continue on. But, I do NOT believe people should become apathetic to injustice and to unfairness. Absolutely not. It is our duty to live our lives accepting & loving each other as one of God's own. We are no better (or worse) than anyone else. We should not keep silent when we see unfairness.
6. The top 5 all-time summer movie blockbusters are: Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars (the original), Ghostbusters, and ET. Your favorite?
Of the list above I will pick ET. I loved the children in this. Perhaps it goes back to the question before. Children are accepting of all - even aliens - until someone tells them it's wrong or scary. I loved the humor in the movie. I loved the "sweetness" of the movie.
7. If given the chance, would you like to visit the moon?
I am not the adventurous type so NO I have no desire to travel to the moon. I'll stay with my feet planted firmly on the Earth's terra firma, thank you very much.
8. Random thought.
Summer always seems to fly by! Can you believe it's mid-July already? I guess I feel this way because it's my favorite time of year. I stay busier and enjoy outdoor activities. But, I haven't even been to my neighborhood pool yet! I haven't slowed down enough to read and that really upsets me. I belong to a Book Club September through May. So, summer is my time for reading the "other" books on my list. I am only halfway through my first one. Summer: please slow down!