Tuesday, April 22, 2014

God so loved the world…

Today is Earth Day so some of today's Hodgepodge questions have to do with this place we all call home.   The other questions use the word "engaged" in them because Joyce's oldest daughter got engaged to be married last week. Congratulations to her, and to the whole family. I look forward to reading about wedding plans, etc. in the coming months.

But for now, here are today's Hodgepodge questions with my answers.  Please feel free to respond or add your own answers.

1.  April 22nd is Earth Day. Are you inspired by nature?  In what way? 

I am absolutely inspired by nature - the amazing beauty of our world!  I love to be outdoors and I enjoy gardening.  I love living in an area with natural visions everywhere I turn…  the marshlands, the rivers, the beaches and ocean, the beautiful birds of it all.   I have often thought I could not live in a city environment, short on all that nature provides.  I need space - I need to live in an environment that God set up to enjoy - without intervention by man.    I am so blessed to live where I do.

2.  Down to earth, four corners of the earth, move heaven and earth, not have an earthly chance, or salt of the earth…   which earthly idiom have you most recently encountered?  Explain. 

Encountered?    Well,  immediately I think that I just celebrated Easter and the fact that God moved heaven and earth for us.   I also think about that I got to spend Easter weekend with family and friends who are down to earth (no airs needed) and that's what makes me the most comfortable - it's my style of living.  We had a nice dinner out - but my favorite moments were hanging out at a 'down to earth' local bar Saturday night, and after church then spending the day at our 'down to earth' river cabin with everyone.  I don't need fancy-shmancy.  In fact I prefer not to do it.

3.  Share one piece of advice you might give a newly engaged couple. 

Just one piece of advice?   lol     I think I would tell a newly engaged couple to be each other's advocate  at all times.  Support them always.   We all go through this life enjoying some wonderful times, but we also face tough times.  A married partner needs to support the other through it all.   Good times and bad.   Never think of only surviving yourself.  You are a TEAM and being there for each other in all situations keeps your relationship strong.   And, it's much more fun to enjoy the best moments together when you know you have worked through the low ones too.

4.  When did you last engage someone to perform a job, task, service, home repair, or improvement?  On a scale of 1 - 10 (ten being the best) how would you rate their work and/or your satisfaction with the job or service provided? 

We just had our old roof taken off and a new one put on.   On the scale of 1 - 10 I would give them a 6…  for two reasons.  First, they took longer than anticipated (and yes, I know weather was a factor) and they were messy on the ground. I guess it's hard to pull off an old roof without having shingles and paper flying around - but I felt they could have done better with cleaning it up every day.  I also did not like that they kept their trailer, ladders, etc. out in the middle of everything.    So, because the crew was messy we felt it necessary to have an independent inspector get up on the roof to check out the work when it was finished.   The inspector found a few issues up there - so we had to call another guy to get up there and "finish the job."

I called the owner of the roofing company and he offered to partially pay for the second workman's labor.  But, I didn't press him on it.  I just wanted him to be aware of how I felt.  

5.  When did you last find yourself engaged in small talk?  Are you awkward or an expert or somewhere in between?  

I think I engage in small talk every single day - be it at the supermarket, at church, or with casual friends at social settings.   "Wow.  Hasn't this weather been crazy lately?"  "Did you have a good weekend?"  "How are you today?"     Seriously, most conversations are "small talk" but are  still important because it becomes a simple way to extend a bit of humanity, to go through life in a positive way.   I think I'm good at it.   I certainly have experience!   I live in the south!!!   People here are open and good at saying hello! How ya'll doing?  

6.  What was the last historic place you visited? 

 I went with my cousin to Brookgreen Gardens last week (and wrote about it previous to this hodgepodge).  It is an old plantation site, and it was the home of Anna Huntington, a renown sculpturer.   It has much history on the land…from the plantation era and beyond.    It's a beautiful spot of nature - which makes me think back to question #1.  I love going there!

7.  The world would be a better place if we just ________ .

The world would be a better place if we just respected each other.

8.  My random thought for the day. 

I am in charge of our church's annual garage sale, which is going to happen Saturday, May 3rd.  I'm excited about it because we raise funds to donate to local charities to help with their needs.  And, I love to see everyone's junk/treasure come in - and yes, I get first "dibs" on items!  That is, along with the other women of the church who help with setting it up, pricing, etc.   It's a fun time and a good way to give to others.      If you are local - come on by!!!

Have a great week everyone.  See you next time…

7 comments:

  1. Hope you land some good finds at the garage sale...those are always fun! Yes...we're definitely in serious need for more respect for one another. Your advice for #3 was right on the money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love beautiful gardens and old homes that go with them. Good luck with your jumbo garage sale! That sounds like a big task, but I'm sure it's rewarding too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brookgreen Gardens sounds like a nice place to visit. I enjoy visiting botanical gardens. The Voice...Adam's Christina Grimmie - has an "I'm wonderful" tude. Christina's Tess Boyer was the "Down to Earth" comment. We were glad she was saved, but rooting for the little guy with the hat to win. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your upcoming garage sale sounds like fun--especially looking through the stuff :)

    I'm with you, I couldn't live in a city environment. I need my space, and the comforts of mother nature.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I love your answer to #2. Yes, God certainly DID move Heaven and Earth for us!! And I too get so much inspiration from the beauty of His creation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Brookgreen Gardens. They are beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless you in your garage sale event! May it be exceedingly successful for His glory and your joy!

    ReplyDelete