Tuesday, December 30, 2014

The LAST Hodgepodge of 2014

Hello blogging friends - and Facebook friends!

This is the final set of Hodgepodge questions for the year!  Goodbye 2014. It's been an interesting year on this blog site, with the meeting of minds AND the accepting of differences among friends.   Let's see what this last Hodgepodge brings.

PS: It is the last for this year but it will be back!   There will not be a Hodgepodge next week as Joyce, our leader, celebrates her daughter's wedding!  I can't wait to hear about it and see many pictures!!  Congratulations to the bride and groom and the families!

1.  Share a favorite moment from your Christmas holiday celebration.

Well, on Christmas Eve we put on the camo pajamas that my husband got us all -  head to toe flannel with footies.  I am guessing we will not wear them again for a long time - if ever!  My daughters and I got pink cammy jammies.  Hubby and fiancé got green ones.  I suppose the guys could wear theirs out if they decide to do some duck hunting!  lol

2.  What would you say has been the biggest news event during your life so far? 

When I first read this I thought the question was about the biggest news event of the year.   But…no!  It's the biggest event of my life so far and... I have lived a long time!  So, I don't think I can narrow it down to ONE news event.   Here are a few:

* Genius kids in a garage create a computer     * Kids figure out way to share info from computer to computer - via the internet!   *  Civil rights movement in 60's - and we are still trying to create equality.  Although one EVENT might be  * man on moon.  I think everyone was glued to TV watching it.   Did it make a difference?  Perhaps not.    I prefer to better this world we already live on.

3.  The Pantone color for 2015 is Marsala.   What say you - like or no like?  Would I find this color anywhere in your home or wardrobe?  Will you add something in this shade to either? 

Well, my first question is:  what color is Marsala?  For those of you like me who didn't know, it's a terra-cotta, or earthy red…  perhaps with a bit of plum in it.

I googled it to see the color  - which takes me back to Question 2.  Thank you to those kids in the garage!  

I like the Marsala color.  I have similar colors in my house.  I have a deep red, or brick red, wall paper in my kitchen… and I use this same color as an accent color (pillows and such.)  I don't think it's exactly "marsala" but close.   In my wardrobe?  I have a couple of deep red tops and in fact I bought a top not too long ago that is almost reddish purplish.  Perhaps it qualifies as marsala?

4.  Would you rather meet your ancestors or your great-grandchildren.  Explain why.

I would certainly like to meet my ancestors - and thank them!  I would love to learn more about them, and their experiences. I'd love to hear their stories about living in Germany, and about how and why they came over to America.  I'd love to learn about their thoughts for the future (now).

We cannot escape our genetics and our history.  I'd love to know more about it!

5.  Share one life lesson learned in 2014. 

A personal life lesson?  At first I was going to say I am getting to the age where it's hard to learn NEW life lessons.  But, maybe that is just it!  My life lesson is to accept aging and try to continue to age gracefully.  My hubby turned a milestone birthday this past year - and I'm only 2 years behind him.  When we married 30 plus years ago we never really thought about ourselves at this age.  (Who does?)  But time goes by. And, thankfully, the years have been good.  But, the life lesson is that we can not stop it as much as we'd like to and that we either have to accept aging gracefully or be miserable.

6.  What was your best or favorite purchase of 2014? 

Hmmm.  In general I try not to think about the material things… but I suppose technology has certain been a plus. This past year we have updated our iPhones and computers.

7.  What is ONE thing you are looking forward to in the new year? 

Easy answer!  Like Joyce, I am preparing for my first daughter's wedding!  My daughter will marry April 25th and so we are really into the planning mode now!  It will be beautiful - exciting - and probably over way too quick!  That's what everyone tells me.  Months of planning goes into one day that whirls by so fast!

But I can't wait for the joy of the day and to see so many friends and family members - AND of course, to see my daughter marry a wonderful man!   I'm so happy for them!!!

8.  My random thought. 

With the year coming to a close, I think my random thought should be about making resolutions.  Do you make one or more each January 1st?  If so - how long do you stick with them?   I tend to start the new year off with positive thoughts…about taking care of myself, and helping others.   If I'm too specific I get disappointed.   I prefer to think about ways to make each day happy and worthwhile.
How about you?

H A P P Y    N E W     Y E A  R   !!!!!!

See you in 2015….



4 comments:

  1. Age gracefully-me too! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an exciting few months ahead! I'm trying to wrap up the last bits and pieces and just really enjoy the whole weekend. I know it's going to go fast, but I'm definitely ready for the day. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to plan a wedding. Wishing you a healthy, happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you analyzed Marsala. It's in my home, too., as accents in furniture, valances, throw rugs and pillows. Cammie jammies sound really cute. As for resolutions, I don't make them but I do like to reach certain goals that have become important. I am working through a 2.5 year list called 101 in 1001. Can't beliee that term will be up in April !

    Happy wedding planning. Yes, the day goes by in FLASH! Make sure they focus enough on the ceremony and not just the reception. I've been to some where the wedding ceremony seems almost an afterthought. It's tempting to be thinking so much about food, dancing and table arrangements that the ceremony gets a rush job.

    ReplyDelete