Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Are you mad about Spring?!?

Hello friends!  I hope you are having a good mid-week and I think I know you are happy it's officially Spring! Right??   Here are this week's questions with my answers.  As always, feel free to answer or comment. 

1. Setting aside the real March Madness (NCAA Basketball) describe something happening at your house this month that might earn the title 'March Madness'?

I am definitely experiencing some March Madness these days.  As I have mentioned before ( many times - sorry) we are trying to sell our 'big house' because we felt it was time to downsize.  Months have gone by without an offer and so now we are doing some upgrades inside it to help give the house more appeal.  I think I mentioned before that we bought all new kitchen appliances and had the entry, great room, and kitchen painted gray. 

Well, we have decided to do more!  We are pulling up the carpet and laying hardwood in the entryway, in the great room, and in the dining room.  We are also pulling down the wallpaper in the master bathroom and painting it, and also changing out the faucets, lighting, and mirrors in there too. 


We have hired a handyman to do some 'fix it' jobs that will help the house show better and will also come up if we get an offer and then have a home inspection. 





I went to Home Depot today and spent $400 on bathroom upgrades.  I will meet the handyman in the morning.  I am doing some yard work there too,  So, yes, this is all "March Madness" because I know this is the season to sell.  Spring is here!  We want to get this house sold!   Help - I'm going crazy!?!!

2. What's a favorite made up word from your childhood or a favorite from your children's childhood? Does your family still use the word today? If there's a story behind the origin please share.

Hmmm.  Immediately I thought about how I would say 'buzzard' instead of 'buzzer' when the doorbell would ring.   Being the youngest I was teased about things I said.   And, my dad called me 'misery'... I think he did as a funny, sweet thing - but it is something I remember.  

3. Will you be doing any spring cleaning now that the season is upon us? I read here a list of 15 quick (under one hour) spring cleaning tasks. They were-

clean out a drawer, vacuum furniture, whiten tile grout, dust the nooks and crannies you don't get to year round, degrease kitchen cabinets, wipe down walls, go behind furniture, wipe down ceiling fans, vacuum the mattress, clean the range hood, wash baseboards, shine the stainless steel, clean out vents, tackle the windows, and wipe down gadgets

Of the fifteen 'quick' tasks listed which two most need doing at your house? Will you do them?


Well, not counting the house we are selling - right??  Because I am doing lots of cleaning there.

But, at my present home, I constantly vacuum furniture (sometimes twice a week) - because I have two pugs that shed big time!   Since we have only lived here since October I don't have too much in the  heavy cleaning that needs to be done.  Although, with all the pollen we have had, I definitely need to wash the windows! 

4. A favorite movie set in Paris or New York?

I immediately thought of "Home Alone."   And, the end of "Sleepless in Seattle" - takes place in NYC.  It's one of my favorites movies.  

5. What's put a spring in your step this month?

Just this morning I was at my church and walked by the preschoolers (we have a Monday - Friday program there) and the kids were dancing to music!   I couldn't help myself but jump in and dance along!  Those kids are just adorable!!   

6. Did you ever want to be a teacher? Why or why not?

Good question!   I certainly admire teachers!!   My daughter got her teaching degree and gave it a try. She was batted down by the craziness in the high school environment.  The fear of violence and the lack of parental concern ruined her experience.     It's SO HARD these days!  There are so many things that get in the way of actually teaching children. It makes me sad.  It's such an important job:  teachers are under-rated, under-paid, and have too many expectations beyond reading, writing, and 'rithmatic.  


There have been times that I have thought about it for me.  I mean, I just mentioned the adorable preschoolers I saw this morning... and how I felt the joy of that moment!  I think it would be so wonderful to be a positive influence in a child's life, and to help set their course for being a caring person. 


But, I also remember when my daughters were little. We lived in a neighborhood with a co-op babysitting group - and there were times I watched neighborhood children that were unruly, and too active, and I could not wait til their parents came back to pick them up!  So, I don't know.   Teachers hands are tied when it comes to discipline and they have horrible parents to deal with sometimes, and sometimes administration & paperwork is just difficult.  Meeting standards and following proper procedures!


As I said in the beginning, I really admire teachers!   It's a tough job - and about the most important job out there!

7.  What's your favorite floral scent? Do you have this somewhere in your home or maybe in a perfume? How do you feel about florals in food? How about wines with floral notes-yay or nay?

When I buy a scented candle, or buy one of those plug-ins that release a scent, I pick vanilla.  It's not "floral"... but of the florals I do sometimes pick lavender.   Those are my two favorites aromas.


Florals in food?   No thank you.


Wine?   I'm a dry chardonnay drinker.  No flowery 'bouquets' in my wine please.


8.  My random thought. 

 Back to "March Madness" - I am a big University of South Carolina Gamecocks fan and they just beat Duke the other night in the NCAA play-off series!  It was VERY exciting!!!  So, my random thought is that they may not get much farther but they made it to the "Sweet Sixteen" which is a first for the school - and it's very exciting!!  GO GAMECOCKS!!!!   The Lady Gamecocks are also in the play-offs in the NCAA Women's Basketball League.   I'm rooting for both teams!!

8 comments:

  1. There is nothing worse than having your house on the market. And then, when it takes longer than you expected, it is so frustrating. Hope it sells soon. I loved "Sleepless in Seattle" too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still sorry my Hogs lost, but glad about the Gamecocks! Wishing you a fast sell on your home now that spring has arrived! I have been through trying to sell a house more times than I want to admit...it can be draining. Our current home sat on the market for 11 mos. when we thought we were being transferred to AL. Hang-in-there...the right buyers will come along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband is a realtor and I know how hard it is to sell a house around here that is outdated, so you are doing the right thing with refurbishing your house. In fact, he has one listed right now that will probably remain on the market a very long time because they refuse to do any updates or bring the price down.

    My granddaughter finished A&M, got a teaching job and after one year declared she would never enter a classroom again. The public educational system today is so sad not only for the good teachers but especially for the children.

    Have a great week and good luck on the house sale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, I do hope your house sells soon. I'm sure that is a weight you'd like to be done with, and it's such a pain having a house on the market. I'm hoping these updates will help speed things up. The Carolina game was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've lived in SC most of my years but have never been a Gamecock fan (just because my favorite teams are out of the state). That being said, I was quite excited they beat Duke! I think it's fabulous and would LOVE to see them take the whole thing! I will pull for USC or Clemson when they play out of state teams. Unless it's one of mine, of course. hahaha! That house is keeping y'all on your toes! I hope this works and you get it sold! I loved teaching but I've never seen anyone born to do it like my youngest. That girl is the best teacher I've ever seen and not just because she's my daughter. :) Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! Did you bury St Joseph yet? ha. My future DIL is a special ed teacher. She is an angel, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a lot of work going on at your house. I hope it sells soon. Teaching is a really hard job. I have 2 DILs who are both secondary school Maths teachers. One works in a school the other has opted to work in a referral unit and do tutoring because the pressure of working in a school affected her health.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck with selling your home. I'm sure the improvements will help to sell it. I like your movie choices.

    ReplyDelete