Tuesday, July 28, 2015

A 'trippy' Hodgepodge!

Hello Hodgepodgers!  No small talk...   let's just get right to the questions!

Our leader, Joyce, asks...

1.  I recently read about four secrets to happiness from around the world.  They were -

Overcome your fears by facing them head on, allow yourself to relax and reset, work to live versus living to work, and find the good in life.  Not sure if these are the actual secrets to happiness, but which of the four do you struggle with?   Which one comes most easily to you? 

I have to agree with Joyce that I don't really think these four things are the BEST, or ONLY ways to happiness.  But, of the list above, I suppose I struggle with facing fears head on.  I prefer to side-step them, or just turn around and walk the other way.  I'm not confrontational and I'm not one to purposely get out of my comfort zone.

The thing that comes most easily to me is to relax and reset.   I am fortunate that my age, my family, and the place I live ALL make it easy to do!  I am fortunate to afford myself time to "chill" each day and to do something I enjoy.  I think it's important to balance life - to take some each day in quiet (meditation, prayer, enjoying nature, reflecting, etc.)

2.  How would you spend a found $20 bill today? 

Well, unfortunately these days 20 bucks won't get anyone too much.  I'd just pop it in my wallet and use it for the next thing that comes along when I need to pay for something that isn't over $20 - to pay cash instead of putting it on credit.  I still prefer to pay cash on smaller amounts.  Now, Joyce, if you asked what I would do with a $100 bill...  I'd have to think about that more!   (Another week's question, perhaps??)

3.  Ego trip, power trip, guilt trip, trip the light fantastic, or trip over your own two feet... which 'trip' have you experienced or dealt with the most recently?  Explain. 

Within myself, the answer is 'guilt trip'...  and can I say it's almost a daily trip!  ha!   You know, the thoughts that go on in my head are often..."why did I say it that way?" or "Should I have done more?" or "how did I get so fortunate?  So blessed?"  

i think I have experienced dealing with people's ego and power trips...   but it's kind of the human condition, right?  I try to remember that.   (I'm sure others see it in me too.  Sorry.)

4.  If you could master any physical skill in the world what would it be, and how would you use that skill? 

I have said before I wish I could sing. I am an average singer but I'd love to MASTER it and use my talent.  Music is a "gift"... so not just a skill.   But, it can certainly be improved upon with practice and techniques.

So, another physical skill?    I guess I'd like to be a better golfer.  (Again - I don't practice like I should so I have myself to blame.  Guilt trip?!)  I would love to play more with my lady friends here  and be on their level.   I go out to play with them a few times, then I get frustrated and stop playing...which I know is the wrong thing to do but I get frustrated and feel "less"....   okay. Guess it's an "ego trip" thing for me!

5.  As July draws to a close, let's take inventory of our summer fun.  Since the first day of (North American) summer (June 20th) have you...    been swimming?  enjoyed an ice cream cone? seen a summer blockbuster?   camped?  eaten corn on the cob?  gardened?  deliberately unplugged?  watched a ballgame?   picked fruit off the vine?  taken a road trip?  read a book?   Are any of these activities on your must-do-before-summer-ends list? 

Wow!  I better get going!   I haven't done many things on this list!  ha!    Here's what I have done:   had corn on the cob, gardened (I do it year round), taken a road trip, read a book (I do it read round), and deliberately unplugged.

Watching a game is a FALL activity for me!  I'm a big football fan!   I enjoy going to a baseball game, but do not sit home and watch baseball on TV.   Oh - I have watched golf on TV!   That's a "small ball" game!

I keep meaning to go to my neighborhood pool and haven't gotten there yet.   I want to go for exercise!   I NEED to go there for exercise!   (Guilt trip!!)

6.  The Republican Presidential candidates will debate on August 16th. What's your question? 

Wow!  Joyce asks a political question - sort of.   I know, really it's a question about what we find important for our country's future.  It's not meant to be a "party question," right?  

But...  as most know, and I am proud to say, I am a Democrat.  Therefore, many of the Republican platform beliefs are not similar to mine...although the Republican party's candidates ARE all over the board right now!!  And, in general, sad but true, I don't believe anything any of them say!   I also don't trust them enough now to think they won't be pulled one way or another by big lobbyists and their money.  We need to get rid of "payola".  But, how??

I have found that I have been happy with the past 7 years - less unemployment, less "boots on the ground",  less fear of economic disasters with our banking systems, healthcare for more people, and I feel we have a better "world situation" right now.    Obviously, gun safety and better laws to enforce it  is a big issue for me - again, I have that is as a major concern - too many innocent children and adults being killed.

Sorry, Joyce... and everyone else reading this.   Guess your question opened up the door!  Ha!

I have promised to stay away from Facebook political jokes, etc.  AND I have promised to not bring out the NEGATIVES in specific candidates, or to belittle anyone running for office.   It's so easy to say how bad things are, and complain.  We need to focus on the good, and doing better.

7.  What's your most listened to song so far this summer? 

And, now to totally switch gears!  (This is why I love the Hodgepodge!)   I find that every time the song "House Party" by Sam Hunt comes on the radio I crank it up - and I dance around, even in my car driving!  ha!!  It's a fun, upbeat happy - summer-feel song!  

8.  My random thought. 

I do not EVEN want to think about summer ending yet.  And, thankfully, here where I live September is still nice and warm. October is a beautiful month.   So, I love stretching out the warmth...the chance to be outside, to sit on my porch, to walk the beach.    We may be officially halfway through summer on the calendar...but not here.  Phew!

Go out - and enjoy your day!!!!

 





 

10 comments:

  1. Never ever be sorry for your viewpoint on politics, my friend. I am a life long Rep./ Conservative and I am not very happy with EITHER party. Sad, sad, sad shape America is in, jmo, of course.

    OHHHHHHHHHHH Can I come over and walk the beach? I promise not to talk politics, LOL. Have a good day Marla...Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marla,
    I love that you want to MASTER to sing. That is cool. :-) I also like how you share music on your hodgepodge answers with us. Many times you mention the bands or singer you are going to go see in concert. It has me look them up and check them out.
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  3. Singing is a good answer. If have a long way to go on that one : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Typing from my phone...I not if. Maybe I should have said technology as my skill I want to master 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am reading a lot of us ladies are not great at facing our fears. I wonder…is that a woman thing? It is my worst trait too! Like you, $20 doesn't go far, but it does mean I have less I would have to pay on something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. House Party does have a nice beat! I love football too, but right now I'm enjoying baseball and don't want summer to be over too soon. Or maybe I just don't want WINTER to come too soon!

    I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2015/07/hodepodge-72915.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are the only person, Republican or Democrat, I've heard say they feel our country is better that it was 7 years ago. Maybe someone HAS said it, but it seems even Dems are disgruntled by, feel let down by, regret voting for, Obama. I so wish I could say that I agree, that I'm optimistic with him in office, but I just don't think he is pro-American and hasn't done much to better society. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one, like country music. Ha. For the record, I don't hate all country music; some of it is very clever, touching, thought-provoking, fun, and dreamy. But I don't like hearing the singers I know are my age (or older) singing about high school girls and Chevy trucks and getting' it on down by the lake--as if they are still 17, Ew. I know it's just a song, but still..ew. Now three cheers to summer still going strong. On that we totally agree! Have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a cash girl too -- especially for meals. I do see a time when we won't have it anymore, so I'm keeping my bills in circulation as much as possible. Maybe that's why you think the economy is good? Ha!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a cash girl too -- especially for meals. I do see a time when we won't have it anymore, so I'm keeping my bills in circulation as much as possible. Maybe that's why you think the economy is good? Ha!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete