Our Hodgepodge leader Joyce took last week off, so it's been awhile since I have sat here and had to respond to random questions. But, I'll give it a go! How about you?
1. What have you 'fallen for' recently?
I don't know if it's a love thing, but I have gotten more into using Instagram lately, and it comes after checking out of Twitter (I could not keep up with it.) I like following people & their pets on Instagram, and I like to see the pictures posted each day. I follow 4 or 5 Instagram sites that are all about pugs (I own two pugs - and they are "my children" - or should I say they own me?? ). If you are interested, follow "Doug the Pug" and "Roxie" on Instagram - both have daily pictures posted and they make me laugh because they are so cute!!
Halloween is coming and it seems pug owners LOVE to dress their dogs up in costumes. Sometimes they are pretty silly, but pugs have an easy temperment and allow being dressed up. Do you ever dress your dog up? Maybe put bows in their hair?
2. What's something you are 'squirreling away' for later?
Well, I collect a lot of infant items because I put together baby layette baskets for our local hospital. I drop off baskets almost weekly and the nurses give them as gifts to those they designate as needing some basic needs for their baby, or who might not be getting any special attention from family.
One day when I was shopping at a thrift store for items I found a brand new little New England Patriots "lovey" blanket - and I decided to hang on to it. I am 'squirreling it away' for the day my daughter and her new hubby have a baby. My son-in-law is a huge Patriots fan and I think this little blanket will make the perfect gift for their first baby!! (They just got married in April - so I may have to hang on to it for a bit.... but, anytime is fine with me!!)
3. How do you like apples? Sweet? Tart? Crisp? Cooked? Apples are one of the superfoods for fall.. how often do you eat an apple either plain or as a part of a favorite recipe? What's your favorite variety?
Oh boy. Now I'm feeling guilty. I should be eating apples more often than I do! I love them, I do... tart and crisp! I love them plain. So, I really should pick up a few apples next time I go to the supermarket. I tend to forget about items I put into my refrigerator "crisper" but I like apples cold - so I guess I need to store them somewhere I can keep them, but also see them. Yes, unfortunately, I'm the type of person who finds rotted black tomatoes, and mushy oranges..and liquid celery... and growing potatoes ... all in my refrigerator drawer. I waste so many vegetables and fruits.
4. According to Fodor's the ten best fall foliage trips in the US of A are - Aspen Colorado, the Catskills New York, the Berkshires Massachusetts, the Columbia River Gorge Oregon, the Green Mountain Byway Vermont, Enchanted Circle Scenic Byway New Mexico, the Great Smokey Mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee, the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, the LAkes of the Ozarks Missouri, and Glaciers National Park Montana. Which would you like to visit and why?
Well... I think just because it's the closest, I will say the Smokey Mountains in North Carolina and Tennessee. Seeing fall foliage requires a car trip.... and I would not want to fly (I just did last weekend and I am not a fan.) So, I would do a weekend trip to the near-by mountains I suppose. But, really, I'm happy staying right here where I am.
5. The topic of legalizing marijuana was raised in the most recent televised political debate so let's wade in too. 23 states and the District of Columbia currently have laws legalizing marijuana in some form. Four states have legalized marijuana for recreational use. Your thoughts?
I definitely believe that marijuana should be legal and available for medical use. I suppose I believe it should be acceptable for adults as long as the same laws hold true as with drinking alcohol. Abusing any substance is scary and can hurt the user and people around them. Driving and smoking pot should be illegal. I just saw something on FB from a high school teacher who talked about how he sees teenagers who smoke marijauna lose all their interest in really anything else. They are not motivated. They lose energy. I believe children and young people don't have the ability to regulate their own use (same with alcohol) and therefore I think smoking pot should be illegal until 18.
I think just about everyone has "tried" pot just like they have "tried" alcohol. Mistakes have been made while under the influence of both.
6. Are you okay to watch a movie already in progress or do you always need to see it from the beginning? How about jumping into a TV series somewhere in the middle? Is that okay?
I don't mind flipping channels and stopping on a movie halfway through. But, if I sit down with someone already involved in a movie it's not fair to them in a way. You can't ask questions... like "what did I miss?" Or "what's going on?? " If I come in to a movie halfway through and I do like it, I try to catch the whole thing soon after. As for TV series... the dramas on television now are hard to jump into part way through and understand the characters and the plot. In general, I am not a big TV drama viewer...but more for the reason that I think they start out interesting but quickly "go astray" or get too far out there and unbelievable. I lose interest. I guess that's why I tend to watch comedies and music shows.
7. Thursday, September 24th is National Punctuation Day. What rule of punctuation trips you up most often? What rule of punctuation when broken by someone else bugs you the most?
Oh, my...in this day and age when we use shortened styles of writing, slang, and initials... and lots of dot, dot, dot (I definitely overuse it).... see? I don't worry too much about proper punctuation unless it's for a formal letter, for business, or for an application. I don't deal with formal writing in my life anymore. My worst punctuation? Those.... dot dot dots! What I get annoyed about? I suppose when someone doesn't use commas and I can't figure out a sentence. (Sorry if I do that!)
8. My random thought.
You know, September and October really are beautiful weather months just about everywhere! It's a beautiful, low humidity, sunny day here today - and I hope it is where you live too! Have a great day!