Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A little bit of this, a little bit of that...

Hi everyone!  I know some of you have told me you can't leave a comment after reading my blog - and sometimes you actually want to say something!  ( :  I don't know why (I'm still a blog newbie) but if you are having trouble, you may leave a comment at my email at mfabiansc@hotmail.com.   Some can leave it on FB too.

This week's Hodgepodge questions deal with a little bit of everything.  Gee, I guess that's why it's called the "Hodgepodge!" 

1. In your opinion, what's the most important job in the world?  Oh - and parenting is a "given" so besides parenting, what's the most important job? 

Most important job???  My first thought (after parenting of course) is teaching.  The teaching profession is challenging, and too often under-rated, but it is the job that gives each and everyone of us the opportunity to learn, grow, and hopefully have happy lives.  Teaching is a general term because it covers pre-K through graduate programs...and too many subjects to even think about listing here.   But, without organized, structured learning centers with valuable teachers, we would all be lost.

2. Share a favorite memory from a childhood birthday.

When I grew up birthdays were celebrated, but the big lavish parties of today were certainly not the "usual."  Most of my birthdays included a nice dinner at home with my family, and a homemade birthday cake, and a couple of gifts from my parents.  I do remember my 10th birthday party though because it was the only one I had where I invited school friends over for the afternoon and we played some games, I opened presents, and we ate lunch followed by cake - of course.   I remember my mother telling me that turning 10 was a special number.

3. Peanut butter- crunchy or smooth?

I always buy Jif smooth.   I like my peanut butter smooth...and if I want nuts I prefer to buy a jar of nuts.   (I don't mix them! )

4. William Butler Yeats is credited as saying "Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that, but simply growth. We are happy when we are growing."  Your thought?

Growth can bring happiness, but happiness can be experienced many ways... so I disagree with Mr. Yeats' statement.  I think a person can be happy when simply doing a fun activity, or a job they enjoy. Although learning something new (and therefore growing) can sometimes bring happiness on - it can also bring on other feelings...like anxiety!   So growing = happiness is not always a true sentiment in my book.

5. What's something that makes you cringe?

Snakes!  

6. Name a song that always puts you in a good mood?

Oh - a lot of the uptempo, fun country songs put me in a good mood!  One of my favorites is "Country Girl Shake It For Me" by Luke Bryan. 

7. The answer is yes.  What's the question?

"Do you love me?"

8.  My random thought:  

My answers above were short this time.  I guess they were not as "thought provoking" for me as some past Hodgepodge questions have been - and that's ok.  I also want to say that I just came back from a Bible Study where the following thought was expressed by someone, and I think it's good for everyone to keep in mind right now:

Republicans often say that Democrats want to just give money away, without the needy even having to earn it.  Democrats often say the Republicans are money hungry and just don't care about the poor and needy.  We have heard the stereotyped comments. Neither is true.

In reality, we ALL want to make sure ALL of us have a place to live, clothes on our back, and food in the belly.  Both parties agree on this.  Just the beliefs of  HOW we try and achieve it is different.   But, in the meantime, as we talk, and filibuster, and belittle each other, the needy are still there.  There are still Americans waiting for a place to live, some clothes on their back, and good food in their bellies.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."








3 comments:

  1. When you talk to people you know face to face politics feels different, much more reasonable. The media highlights the extremes and I think contributes much to an angry tone. I am trying to read the speech transcripts and go directly to candidates own websites and books to understand them better. It's a lot more work to be a voter these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snakes don't make me cringe. They made me jump up and down and run and scream and nearly have a heart attack! I hate those things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After thinking about it I should have put that politics make me cringe ;) I am a creamy Jif girl myself! Other brands just dont taste as yummy!

    ReplyDelete