Tuesday, March 27, 2012

It's Hodgepodge time again.

1. What's the last job that required "elbow grease"?   Good question.  When do we put our sweat into a tough job anymore? In this world of tech advances and machines that do so much for us, we don't have to put "elbow grease" into much anymore, especially compared to the generations before us.   I am fortunate that I do not do "manual labor" for a living.  So, to answer this I think I have to say I work physically hard out in the yard.  As I have mentioned before, I weed, plant flowers, etc.  Oh, occasionally I have some housework that needs some effort.  Cleaning the carpets, and lugging the vacuum around.  But, really, can you say "cushy life"?   

2. "March Madness" is nearing an end.  What sort of "madness" has your house seen this month?  March has been a beautiful month here.  In fact, I consider it one of the prettiest of the year with so much blooming and coming back to life.   March is a month that goes from winter to spring.  So, I have to say we had "outside madness" here.  The days are getting longer, the flowers are coming out, the grass is greening.  It's hard to stay inside.  I love to sit on my back deck, to listen to the birds, to feel the sun's warmth.  I'm "mad" about the beauty of the outdoors.

3. What's your favorite shop for browsing? Ok. Here's a plug for a local place. It's called "Inlet Queens" and it's one of those places where artists/crafters/antiquers rent space to sell their wares.  I love to walk through it and see all the different and cool items that local women make or collect.  Everything is arranged beautifully too.  There's a little bit of everything there:  furniture, wall hangings, clothing, knick-knacks, jewelry, etc.    2nd favorite:  "Tuesday Morning".  Again, items change with the seasons there and it has a little bit of everything.

4. Is there ever a time when giving up makes sense? Absolutely!  I think when you have given a person or a project your all, and have tried and tried and tried, then "let go, let God."  

5.  What's a song you love that contains the name of a city, state, or country in it's title? Do I have to pick only ONE song?  I can't.  So, instead, here are three songs I love about the state I live in:  "Carolina in my Mind" - James Taylor, "South Carolina Lowcountry" - Josh Turner (another "JT"), and "Carolina" - Eric Church. 

6. When did I first begin using a computer? I can't remember the year exactly but it must have been in the late 90's.  We were living in Sparta, NJ. I remember setting up my first desktop Compaq computer is a small bedroom upstairs that we used as an office.  My first email address was mfabian@nac.net.  The company was "Net Access" out of Parsiphany.  I don't know if they are there anymore.

7. Did you buy Girl Scout cookies this year? What's your favorite flavor?  This year a GS leader at our church and her daughter sold cookies BUT also gave us the option to pay for cookies that would be sent to the military.  I opted to buy a few boxes and donated them to the men & women in service.   But, if I had bought cookies for me, I definitely would get Tag-alongs (pb and chocolate.)   Since I gave up chocolate for lent it's best I kept them out of my house! ha! 

8. Random thought:  It's about guns.  Most people that know me know that I am anti-guns in general, and consider myself a pacifist.  Once again the news has brought the horrible ramifications of gun use into light with the sad, wrong death of Trayvon Martin.  In my opinion there are too many, many guns in the US, too easy to get, too "glorified" as a way of protection.   I believe that guns are used much more often either by "accident" or stolen/bought off the street by people looking to do harm.   Rarely is a gun used as a home protector or used to kill an animal gone wild.   I get tired of those "excuses" for carrying.  I just don't believe it.  

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marla!
    Love your answer to #4! That quote says it all! The store you mentioned sounds like my kind of place! All of those songs are great choices...love me some Josh Turner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a Compaq computer too. Back in the day… ;-)

    ReplyDelete