Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hodgepodge: Living in the USA !



We are all so blessed to be living in the USA!  As July 4th approaches, let's think about the unity AND the diversity we all share and enjoy here.  Joyce asks some good questions in this week's Hodgepodge:

1. What do the words "freedom" and "liberty" mean to you?  Does your mind wander in the direction of not being persecuted or discriminated against OR does it head in the direction of doing what you want? 

When I think of these words and the power they give us, I think of the ability to make personal decisions and to live the way we feel is best for ourselves.  Our country was founded on the rights to pursue what we want to....BUT (and it's a big but) there must still be laws to follow for the good of all.  And, even though freedom and liberty are wonderful things, the right to have them doesn't mean you can hurt others or live without regard for other people's well-being.  We all celebrate freedom but we must also celebrate fairness for all!

2. Nathan's  sponsors a hotdog eating cotest every 4th of July.  Last year over 40,000 people attended the event and almost 2 million watched on TV.  The winner ate over 60 hotdogs and buns in 10 minutes.  How do you like your hotdogs? 

First, that contest is DUMB and crazy!  It shows what people will do for a moment of glory and I'm sure a nice cash prize.  But, that's the freedom we have in America!  ha.    How do I like my hotdogs?  Pretty simple...    just some ketchup on top please.

3. If you were going to enter an eating contest, what would be on the menu?

If I didn't have to think about calories, I'd say ice cream! It would go down very easily and taste yummy!  And, it has nothing to do with the fact that my hubby has been in the ice cream profession most of his life!

4. Do you run your house more as a dictatorship or as a democracy? 

I know as my daughters were growing up I ran it as a dictatorship. Mom ruled!    Now, it's possibly a democracy with the hubby.  Although, I still consider the home "my arena" since he is away working so much.

5. Where was your favorite summer place as a kid? 

Our family has been going to a chautauqua-style town on Lake Erie since I was "wee little".  The town is Lakeside, Ohio. It's a gated place, where when you enter you go back a hundred years.  It's a wholesome place. A religious retreat.  A family vacation spot.  My parents built an A-frame cottage there when I was in high school.  I think I have only missed a summer vacation there during my early motherhood years when we lived in California.  In fact, I'll be going there in just a couple of weeks from now.  I'll do a little PR plug for Lakeside: it has morning Bible studies and devotions, offers lots of fun activities in the lakefront park...shuffleboard, basketball, mini-golf,  boating, swimming, a large playground, etc.  Each evening in the summer there is entertainment in the huge auditorium.  Everything from live music to comedians to movies to dance troupes.  All are "family friendly" .  The town is mostly made up of cottages for rent.  There are a few little restaurants. 

6. Do you have a guest room?  Would you want to stay in it?

Yes, we have a guest room!  (Joyce - why do yo ask? Want to come stay??)  When you live by the beach you HAVE to have a guest room!  We get lots of visitors...and that's great!  Yes, I would stay in it because I have set it up nicely and it has a very comfy bed.

7. Next Wednesday America celebrates her independence.  Do you have any special plans for the 4th of July?

Yes we do!  It has become a tradition here to go to the local parade in the morning.   Then we squish on the beach for the afternoon - its the most crowded day of the summer.  Then back home for a bar-b-que.  And we finish the night off back on the beach!  Where we live fireworks are legal and for sale, so many people bring fireworks to the beach and set them off at dark.   The tradition is to bring your beach chair and favorite beverage and sit and watch the fireworks go off up and down the beach - and sometimes right over your head. It's quite beautiful! I'm always amazed at how some people come with boxes full of fireworks.  The display goes on for a long time.  It's awesome!

8. My Random Thought.  Have a wonderful and safe holiday everyone!   I look forward to having a house full and having fun.  I also want to stop and be thankful for our great country - and leave politics behind for the day.  But, I also want to remember that we are one country in this world, all a part of God's creation. As we celebrate the USA let's pray for ALL countries and leaders.  Let there be peace.








4 comments:

  1. Your lakeside holidays sound nice. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your vacation place sounds like a throwback to a time when morals were celebrated and expected of all. What a lovely break from the craziness of life. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a blissful retreat your Lakeside must be ... and in a Christian environment.

    Happy 4th to you and those who spend it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your husband is in the ice cream business? That sounds awesome!! I hope that one of the perks from him being gone a lot was lots of free ice cream :)
    Your vacation place sounds fabulous! I will have to check it out. Have a fantastic time and happy 4th.Loved your answer to #8 also :)

    ReplyDelete