Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The Hodgepodge Questions and my answers.


Happy Hodgepodge day to you all!  Below are the questions, and my answers.  Feel free to play along and respond too! 

1. April showers bring May flowers...what have you been showered with this month?

A tough question right off the "git go"...  so let me think.   I have had a wonderful April so I guess I would say I have been showered with happiness.  I know it sounds lame, but it's true.  April is an uplifting month anyway, with the feeling of springtime in the air.  That makes me happy. We have had a mix of chilly and warm days.  Some sunny days and some rain.  It's been a mix perfect for the earth to come back to life.  I have also been showered with my continual love from family and friends.  It's been a GOOD month of happiness!

2. What is the nature of compassion?  Is it learned or innate?  Can compassion be learned?  If you are a parent is this something you've purposely sought to instill in your children, and if so how?

The nature of compassion is having caring and loving feelings for your fellowman. It's wanting people you know AND those you don't, to have a good life, free of pain and hardship.  I know Joyce asks this question in the week following the bombing in Boston and the explosion in Texas because we saw so much compassion..  So many, many people were caring to those who were hurt and to families that lost loved ones.  Yes, I think compassion can be learned.  Babies are born pretty selfish, and it comes with time, teaching, and living with others to realize that we all want the same joys in life:  love, family, respect, freedom.  I have certainly instilled in my daughters the nature of compassion. How?  Mostly by talking with them as they grew up about helping people, about being unbiased, and about knowing that God has put us here on earth to love and take care of each other.  I made sure my daughters  went to church.  Both were in Girl Scouts.   I tried to involve them in outreach programs... food drives, etc.  One daughter went with me to Guatemala with Habitat for Humanity. 

3.  Do you prefer to watch a romantic comedy or romantic drama...or are you rolling your eyes saying bring on the action flick?

Of those three choices, definitely my first movie choice is a romantic comedy.  Sometimes the romantic dramas are a bit too cheesy for me.  Saying that, I do have a few old-time favorites though..."Wuthering Heights" is my all time favorite romantic drama!   I love Catherine and Heathcliff!   I am not an action flick girl at all.  If I see one it's because it's my hubby's turn to pick a movie. I get so tired of watching things blow up, or car chases and crashes.  I'm not big on special effects.

4.  It's April which means baseball season is officially upon on here in the US of A.  Humphrey Bogart is quoted as saying "a hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz."  Agree or disagree? 

I guess my answer depends if Humphrey was talking about cuisine or atmosphere.  In terms of cuisine: NO!  I'm not a fan of baseball food.  I can't remember the last time I had a hot dog.  Buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks...  that would be okay.   If Mr. Bogart was talking atmosphere, then I prefer a beautiful afternoon sitting out at a baseball game over being in a fancy-smancy restaurant.

5. What's something in your community or city that needs fixing or improving?

I love much about where I live...and I am blessed to be here.  The state I live in does need better education. I know the teachers and administrations are wonderful and work hard and love the children.  But the state does not put enough emphasis and dollars into the education system. I'm sure the teachers are very frustrated at times.   Our state does not compete with other states when it comes to scores (and I know it's not all about that).   The other concern is a better hurricane route!  Thankfully I haven't had to test it out in the 7 years I have lived here.  But there is only 2 ways out of my community because we are "water-bound" with the ocean on one side & a river on the other.  I worry about evacuating everyone in an emergency.  Because of it, I intend to leave EARLY if a hurricane is headed this way!

6.  Share a song you enjoy that mentions flowers or a specific flower in it's title.

Ok...here's an oldie.  But, it's the first song I learned all the words to as a kid.   "Why do you build me up BUTTERCUP?  Just to let me down...and mess me around."  I could go on...  I was so proud of myself for knowing ALL the words! ha

7.  April 22nd was Earth Day...do you believe there's life on other planets?

I believe that there could be other life out there....but, I haven't really seen anything that makes me think there is.  But it's a HUGE universe - and I don't question God's ability to create other life in other places.  Who knows, maybe He got disappointed with us at some point and decided to try something else!  ha! 

8. My random thought.

It's been a crazy week and I know I got caught up watching the news a lot more than usual, almost hourly checking in while Boston was shut down and the manhunt was on for the brothers.  I was mad at myself for watching those bumbling reporters...trying to fill time and then break the first tiny new bit of evidence before the other news outlets.  What do you think?  Should we go back to the TV days when it wasn't 24 - 7 in your face, "live" and "breaking news"???  


8 comments:

  1. Nothing better than being showered with happiness. I love the positive feel to that answer. Very much.

    I say, get rid of TV altogether. We had the big package with our cable stations, and a year and 4 months ago, we decided enough already!!! We had our cable disconnected, and I couldn't be more happy. I only watched two programs faitfully, NCIS and Grimm. I can watch that on the computer. So why spend a fortune for cable TV when you have a scenario like you mention in your random thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My answer to #7 was very similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are, officially, the 3rd person I've seen who chose "Build Me Up Buttercup". That is too funny! Yes, I often wish we could revert back to days when we didn't get news coverage 24/7...it can be so overwhelming, at times! Of course, if that were the case, I might not be able to stay as "in touch" with the Jodi Arias trial...and we wouldn't want that to happen! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a big fan of "24/7" news programs. I prefer to check in for an update once in a while. It gets boring after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also got extremely frustrated with the reporting. Not checking facts, endlessly chatting about what happened and speculations, and interviewing family members who have had no contact with them in 5 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Several people have mentioned "Build Me Up Buttercup" - I don't know that song, but perhaps now I should google it! :-) And yes - while news certainly has its place, I do get so tired of the constant reporting....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your answer to number one is not lame at all!!! Great song choice. I don't normally watch the news but I was certainly glued to my TV last week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess we can't go back, but I'd like to see things change some. How will we truly know what is breaking news, when they tell us everything is breaking?

    ReplyDelete