Tuesday, February 25, 2014

How, why, and when to enjoy the times of your life.

Hello Hodgepodgers!   It's Tuesday and I have a few minutes right now to read and then respond to this week's questions.  I think the questions are pretty deep this week (well, except for #4).  I'll try not to make my answers too long.

Here we go…

1. What is something you'll never forget about the age you are right now? 

In general this is a pretty good time in my life.  I have my health, and I enjoy my life - where I live, my family, friends, and opportunities I get to participate in.  I can't complain about anything.  Life is good! (I think a shirt company could make that their slogan! lol)   But one thing in particular that is something I hope to remember from this time of my life is my relationship with my daughters.  They are "adults" in their 20's - and making their ways.  Neither is married yet so I still feel like a person they turn to occasionally for advice, and they also make time for family fun with hubby and me.    It's wonderful!

2.  What's a household chore you have never done?  How have you managed that?

I have racked my brain but can not come up with a household chore I haven't done.  There are a lot of them I WISH I hadn't done!  (No, not really…)   I clean bathrooms, and I dust and vacuum…and I do occasional "heavy duty" cleaning on carpets, etc. I take out the trash and I have cleaned the garage.  I load the dishes in the dishwasher, and I do the laundry.  I organize closets and drawers.  Am I missing a household duty?

3.  Does nature shape our personalities more than nurture?  Explain.

I think it's a combination of both.  A person can not escape being influenced with what is happening in their surroundings, and from the people who teach them about morals and values (and hopefully there is someone who does that!) But, also, that genetic in-born influence is also in-escapable.  I think most people agree that the older we all get, the more we realize this.  Like the old saying…  about looking in the mirror and seeing your mother - it happens!  It's genetics!   It's mother's mannerisms and hearing her words come out of your mouth when talking to your own children.  ha!  So, I feel the two - nature and nurture - work together to make each person unique….but also connected.   Each personality is a mix of the good and the bad from both nature and nurture.  Hopefully the good wins out.

4.  Friday (February 28th) is 'Something on a Stick Day.'  What's your favorite food eaten on a stick? 

No question about this answer…ice cream on a stick!  I love Dove bars. But, here's a plug (time for a commercial break) for some new ice cream on a stick.  My hubby works with Baskin-Robbins and is in the process right now of making a Baskin-Robbins ice cream on a stick (along with other items…bars, pints, etc.) and they are becoming available in supermarkets around the US. It's already in a few store chains in California, but each week the ice cream should show up more and more.  So, if you see Baskin-Robbins in your local grocery store frozen food section, give it a try!  I think you will really like it!!

5.  Which of your five senses do you treasure most,and why? 

The sense of sight is probably the one I would have a very hard time without - so it's the one I most treasure.  I would certainly miss not being able to see my family and friends, and the beauty of the world around me.  Second would be the sense of hearing.  Again, not being able to hear voices of loved ones - and not hearing music - would make me incredibly sad.

6.  What's the best music, theatre, or sporting venue you've been to?  What makes it great?  

My favorite music spot?  I enjoy going to the local "House of Blues" because they bring in wonderful talent - and you get to see the performer in a rather small setting.  They are "up close and personal" there - BUT to be really close up you have to be willing to stand.

My favorite theatre?  I have gone to some of the old theatres on Broadway in NYC - and you just can't beat it!  It's great to go into those beautiful historical buildings, that are ornate and beautiful, and see the best theatre performances in the world!

My favorite sporting venue?   Definitely William-Brice Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina - home of the University of South Carolina Gamecocks!! Since I root for them I love going early to tailgate, and then to watch all the hoopla pre-game.  They have a great marching band - and an awesome football team!  ( :

I know I was probably only supposed to answer one place - but I couldn't narrow it down.

7.  It's the last week of the month…in five words or less bid adieu to your February. 

Done with cold and ice!

8.  My random thought. 

I still watch "American Idol" religiously.  Do you?  I continue to be amazed by the untapped young singers who come to the show.  There are SO many people in our country who can really sing!  (I'm not one of them but I wish I was.)   If you have been watching, what do you think of Harry Connick Jr.?  I have always loved his musical style - and I appreciate that he has a good background in music, but he doesn't seem to agree with Keith and J-Lo that often and I think he says some cruel things unnecessarily.  When he tries to be funny, I cringe and think he falls short there.  Just me.  I will still watch.  I love Keith Urban - he does no wrong!

Have a good week everyone!!  See you in March!


12 comments:

  1. Loved your answers. Thanks for the smiles. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't watch American Idol or The Voice. I've even stopped watching Dancing With The Stars. I enjoyed your Hodgepodge!! Mine will post tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've kind of lost my zest for American Idol. I think Harry Connick is adorable, but he's trying to take on the role of Simon Cowell by being almost too brutally honest. Love Keith Urban and I'm digging his new 'do'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't watch American Idol however I am looking for to "So you think you can dance"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Baskin Robbins, especially their mint chocolate chip and bubble gum flavors. I'm enjoying Idol so far this season and already have a few favorites. I like Harry, way more than the one he replaced ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Granny owned a BR store back in theday. My fav flavor is Jamocha Almond Fudge. Is that coming out on a stick! American Idol, yes this year I watch, and Fir the most part, Connick amuses me, but

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops, ....as i was saying, I agree he can say cutting remarks that aren't constructive, whereas the other two temper their critiques with encouragement

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really is enjoyable having daughters this age. Does BR still have stores? We had one in MD and used to take the girls there for a cone now and then. As far as AI goes, on the whole I like that it seems focused more on the music and talent this year and less on the drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, BR has lots of "dip shops" and stores still around - and they usually share them with DD (Dunkin Donuts - the parent company now). This is a whole new venture going into supermarkets with packaged products…pints, bars, etc. It's been a big deal that my hubby has been working on. BR is still huge in Europe too.

      Delete
  9. How awesome to be happy where you are today! I didn't watch last year because of the panel but I am loving it this year.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Baskin Robbins ice cream at the grocery store...gonna have to look for that!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adults daughters are wonderful! They become even more so when they get married and have kids of their own, then daughters "get it" and really become your friends. At least mine did. I'm so glad you enjoy your life, there are lots of people who are not.

    ReplyDelete