Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Do you live where you want to be?

Welcome to this week's Hodgepodge party.  Here are the questions with my answers.   Please leave a comment or answer them too.  It's a party!  Join in!

1.  Under what circumstances do you do your best thinking? 

I am a morning person so I think best early in the day.  And, truly, my best thinking often happens while I'm in the shower!  I have often run for pen and paper after getting out of the shower to write something down.

2.  Are you a risk taker?  What's one big risk you've taken? 

In general I am NOT a risk taker.  I live my life thinking that "everything in moderation" is a good way to go…  I don't want to miss out, but I also don't want to live in fear.   So somewhere in the middle is the way I try to be.   My biggest risk?  At the time I didn't think it was, but I guess when I think about how half of marriages fail, my biggest risk was marrying hubby after only dating a little less than a year.   We got engaged 5 months into dating.  If one of my daughters fell in love and got engaged that quickly I would certainly be concerned.   If my family or friends were worried about me marrying quickly they did not say anything to me. Thankfully it was a risk worth taking!!!

3.  Some of the most common phobias according to the National Institute of Mental Health are - fear of spiders, snakes, heights, fear of spaces from which escape is difficult, fear of thunder and lightening, fear of dogs, injections, social situations, flying, and fear of germs and dirt.   True phobias affect only 10% of adults, but of those listed which would you rate as your greatest fear? 

Absolutely snakes!  I know it's not rational but I am very fearful of snakes, big and small.  I remember being at a school assembly where a guy brought in reptiles and he had various snakes with him.  At one point during the assembly he carried a large snake up into the bleachers where the students were sitting.   Thankfully he didn't come up right where I was sitting but I was about ready to run out of the room.   It is a bad memory to this day.

I live in an area that has snakes.  It's warm and marshy here.  My house backs up to old rice fields and I know snakes live back there.  Occasionally one finds it's way into my yard.  We have had 3 come into the house!   I FREAK out!!  I run and get my hubby, or neighbor, or anyone else who can grab it (we use long bar-b-que tongs) and kill it.  My daughter's boyfriend had to do this when he first came to our house! ha!  What an introduction to the family.  

I put moth balls around the exterior foundation a few times a year because snakes don't like the smell….and I keep/feed 3 feral kitties outdoors to ward them away too.

As for other phobias:  I have experienced a mild fear of heights, of spaces difficult to escape, and flying.  Huh.  I think those go together, don't they?  

4.  Are you settled or do you feel the need to move somewhere new? 

I am totally settled here.  I do NOT want to move again.   Throughout my life, growing up and after getting married, I moved quite often.  Mostly they were career moves for my dad and my hubby.  I accepted all the moves and I really enjoyed living in different places, and learning about new areas.

But at the age I am now, I have found a place a really enjoy living in. I have written about this before, but I love the weather here and I love the natural beauty.  There's plenty to do. It's not overly crowded.  I have a church family and neighborhood friends.  It's all good!

5.  What is something you find annoying when dining in a restaurant? 

I think my biggest annoyance when eating out is when the noise level is so loud I can't hear people talking at my own table.   I prefer to go to restaurants that have a "low key" feel to them.   The place doesn't have to be fancy, but it's got to be quiet enough to sit and enjoy the company I am dining with.

6.  Daffodil yellow, sunset orange, spring green, or sky blue…   your favorite color this time of year? 

Here in the lowcountry we have beautiful "Carolina blue" skies!   Wide open skies with rarely a cloud.  It's just gorgeous!!

7.  If you were ever going to take a holiday all by yourself, where would you go? 

Interesting question.  Normally I like to vacation in a warm environment.  I love the beach (but live by it) and sitting alone for a few days would not be fun.  I think I would choose a holiday in a place with interesting sightseeing.  Some history.    Cruising is a great way to travel alone because you get the great weather, the places to explore, and people around you who are friendly and vacationing too.

8.  My random thought. 

I wrote a post yesterday about music.  Take a minute to read it if you have time.  It's right below this one.  I'm just wondering your thoughts.  What makes a memorable music experience for you? What is best "live" or recorded?    What music do you find a connection with these days?  

Whatever you like, make music a part of your daily life!   It will put a lift in your step!   Have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. Ah, another set of hard & thoughtful questions (wink). I loved your answers..thanks for sharing. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a big rock wall (boulders really) across the back of our yard here. I don't think too hard about the snake population in there : ) Course I think their rock home keeps them from coming into my home! I will try to hop back later and read the music post. I am not getting to read blogs as much as I like these days. Not enough hours in the day lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I may have you beat. Chris and I got engaged 3 mos. after we met and we married just 7 months later. My girls will never let us live that down! Like you, if they ever did the same, I'd be beside myself! I'm not terrified of snakes, but if I ever found one in my house, I'd freak out! Like Joyce, I'll try to remember to pop back and read your other post later. Trying to visit as many blogs as I can before my dr. appt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, since Zoanna and I are convinced we are twins separated by a continent, I'll just pick up where she left there...

    I'd be UNDONE if a... snake came into my house! Serious heebie jeebies!!

    In answer to your music question - with all of the stress in our life lately, I've found that every morning I have woken up with a different praise song in my head... I believe it is the Holy Spirit singing to me each day, comforting, inspiring, energizing... God is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally, you are right! My comment published too soon and my ipad was giving me fits on the next try. I was out of time but didnt realize i hadnt publushed!

    ReplyDelete