Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Going on a field trip - and a music trip!

I'm trying to squeeze my Hodgepodge answers in this week before heading to Nashville.  "It's a crazy town, full of neon dreams - where everyone plays and everyone sings.  It's Hollywood with a bit of twang!" And I'm a coming!          So, here they are this week's questions and my answers.

1.  I've read several posts and status updates recently describing end of the year school field trips.  Do you remember taking school field trips as a kid?  Where did you go and do you recall a favorite?  For any parents responding today, have you chaperoned a school field trip, and if so where? 

I only remember two field trips for education, and one band trip, as a student.  When I was young (must have been 5th or 6th grade) and I went to Caledonia Elementary School in Cleveland Heights we went to the Cleveland Museum of Art.  I remember really enjoying it. I've always loved art.   Then in high school in Bucyrus, Ohio we went on a bus trip down to Columbus to an afternoon showing of "Fiddler on the Roof" when it was first released.   The Bucyrus High SChool Marching Band went to the Indy 500 one May (1973?) and marched in the parade downtown, and then around the huge track as part of the pre-race activities.

As a parent I went on a few field trips. I was a chaperone when my 8th grader went to Williamsburg, VA - from Sparta, NJ.  I think it was a 3 day adventure.  I had a good time!  When both my girls were in high school I went on several band and orchestra trips - a couple of times to competition in Allentown, PA followed by an afternoon at Dorney Park.  And once we went to Cleveland (from NJ) to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.  The two biggest/best trips were when my girls were in the Sussex County Youth Orchestra and we went to Europe for a musical performing and learning experience.  I got to go along, and play my flute as well, and we performed in Paris, Venice, Munich,  Brattenburg,  Lucerne, and more.  Both trips were awesome!  It was put together by a tour company that specialized in musical groups and sightseeing.

2.  What's something you're tired of seeing online? 

I may offend this person, and if so I'm sorry… but I have a friend who puts nothing up on Facebook but dog cruelty pictures and stories.  She's a show dog person and a lover of all animals.  So, I get that she is deeply disturbed by animals being hurt, shot, etc.  I am too.  But, it's so sad… and she never balances her page with upbeat posts.  I have thought about "de-friending" her but haven't.

 3.  June is the month for roses.  Which of the following expressions would you say has been most recently applied to your life:  'everything's coming up roses,' 'there's no rose without a thorn,' 'came out smelling like a rose,' or 'wearing rose-colored glasses.' 

Interesting…   most times I would answer 'wearing rose-colored glasses' because I have been told on more than one occasion that I see life that way.  That I look at life "unrealistically" and have a vision and hope for people to act in ways they won't, or have things turn out in ways they can't.    But, with all the good news recently I will say 'everything's coming up roses.'   What good news?   Well my daughter1 just got engaged two weeks ago and we are excited for her - and her fiancé (we love him) and wish them the best!  We are in "wedding planning mode" now.  See my post before this one.  I'm sure you will hear more on this in coming months.  She is the same daughter that recently got her Masters in Education.    I also am heading out to Nashville tomorrow and meeting up with both daughters and the new fiancé for 4 days of great live country music at the CMA Festival.       Ahhh….    it's all rosy!!!

4.  When grilling outdoors do you prefer gas or charcoal?  Who does the grilling at your house?  What's the last thing that was cooked on a grill? 

We have a propane gas grill AND a large fire pit where we can cook over wood logs.  I prefer meat cooked over the wood… but, both are yummy.  The last thing prepared was just the other night when hubby grilled some chicken kabobs for us for dinner.  He's the griller. I'm the "side dish" chef.

5.  Are you afraid of the dark?

I am not afraid of the dark in the sense that I think bad things stir in the night, or that the bogey man will get me while I sleep.  I am a bit fearful driving in the dark because I don't see as well then - and I worry about deer jumping out in front of me.    I love some night sounds…  we have an owl that visits sometimes and I love to hear him "whoooo".  I love a thundershower at night too.

6.  Share a favorite song with a number in it's title. 

First song that popped into my mind "867-5309…"   by Tommy Tutone.    A favorite country song: a song by Dierks Bentley called  "5 -1 -5 -0".

7.  "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."  (C.G. Jung) Do you agree?  Why or why not? 

Absolutely agree.  Because by taking time to think about what actions others do that cause a reaction to me gives me a choice.  I ask myself:  Do I continue to be annoyed by it?  What is it that makes it annoying?  Why do I let it bother me?  And…  I often ask "What would Jesus do?"  More often than not Jesus would pray for the people, love them anyway, and try to help if possible.    Dang - Jesus is a good role model!!  ( :

8. My random thought.

Time to finish running errands and packing.  I'm SO excited about spending the next week with my daughters & future SIL in "Music City - Nashville, Tennessee!"    By the way, I don't worry about telling people I'll be gone - because hubby is staying home, working, taking care of the pugs and the kitties - and watering, and doing a few "handyman chores."    What a guy!

Have a great two weeks everyone!  Joyce is "taking a break" next week. Well deserved.   The Hodgepodge will resume later in June.    Take care everyone!


1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous! i have it on my bucket list to attend the Country music festival someday. I have a friend on FB that does the exact same thing about animals and it kills me. I cant have those sad distractions during the day at work. I love her to pieces but will have to unfollow her soon so i dont have to see them everyday. I mentioned the same song! Have fun on your trip and congrats to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete