Tuesday, September 1, 2015

The passage of time.

Hello September 2015!  It's another day and another month.  Can we please slow down the passage of time a bit?  As much as I like days with a bit less humidity and the start of football, I always get a bit melancholy in September.  I know that Fall is on the way and I feel holiday pressure, and I'm not a fan of colder temperatures, and shorter days of light. In general it's tougher for me to stay "up".... but one thing helps me...

The weekly Hodgepodge!

So, here it is.

1.  What's on your September calendar?  Anything fun? 

I still have two concerts in the summer "megaticket" country concert package I bought in to for the summer.  So, I look forward to seeing Jason Aldean this Friday night - and then Luke Bryan in a couple of weeks.

I also am looking forward to seeing my daughters and son-in-law this coming weekend. I will see my one daughter for the Aldean concert.  I will see my other daughter and her hubby for the Labor Day weekend here.   The weather should be good so we hope to get in a little boating and continue the "summer fun" into September!

2.  You might be described as a natural born __________ . 

Tough question. I can only think of things I am NOT naturally born with, like amazing cooking skills, or athletic ability, or a singing voice.  And let's not even talk about my brain skills!  lol

So, what am I a natural at?    Just being me.  Nobody else can do it.

3.   September is National Courtesy Month...  what one act of courtesy would you most like to see more of in your home, town, or the world at large? 

Only one?   lol     Well, I have no issues about courtesy in my home.   But in the world?   I would like to see  much more respect for people's differences.  I would like people to understand that we all come from different backgrounds and have had different life experiences that shape us.  We need to honor them - and respect them - and treat each other WITH respect.


Can I add one more?  How about the courtesy of not littering, and picking up after yourself.   I wish everyone cared more about God's world and took better care of it.

4.  Eager beaver, chicken out, clam up, or let the cat out of the bag...  of the phrases listed, which one have you related to most recently? 

I guess of those listed I will go with "chicken out" because I am in a place right now where I do not want to add anything more to my daily life.  So, I will "chicken out" if I am approached to do something new.  I like my schedule as it is.  I am at a place in my life where I keep busy enough, I think I make a difference, but I don't stress myself too much.   I like it that way.


5.  What's your movie theatre snack protocal?  Do you chow down on snacks during the previews or wait until the movie begins?  Do you buy snacks or refuse to pay those kinds of prices?  What's the last movie you saw in a theatre?  How many thumbs up would you give it? 

First, my snack protocal is this:  If I haven't eaten for awhile or do not plan to eat for at least a few hours after the movie ends, then I will treat myself to a bag of popcorn.  It's a meal in itself so I only get popcorn if I am hungry.   I have never bought other snacks at the movie theatre.   I will start eating popcorn during the previews because that's a good half hour of sitting there. (so many previews!!).... I might as well eat!  Right?    I will say that I hate to crunch on popcorn during really quiet parts in movies - I don't like to make noise and disturb others!


The last movie I saw in the theatre?  Gotta think on this.  I don't go very often anymore. I don't like most that are out there right now.  I am not into all the action flicks or the sci-fi special effects movies.  I think the last movie I saw was the real life story about the woman who tried to get her family painting back after the Nazis stole it during the war.   I can't remember the name of the movie.  It was well done.  I give it 4 thumbs up out of 5.  Oh, it had Ryan Reynolds in it - and that was nice too!!?!

6.  Henry Ford is quoted as saying "Nobody can think straight who does not work.  Idleness warps the mind."  Agree or disagree?  Why? 

Obviously anyone who works outside the home gets a better view of society, and just interacting with other people will widen one's perspective.   Working for the good of the world will make you feel more valued.  Working for pay makes the world go round - economically.  But, volunteer work is just as needed, as valuable.   So, yes, I do believe that not being a part of ANY work will tend to make a person unable to relate.... and thereby they don't get a true vision of the world.


I don't know if I agree with Mr. Ford using the words "straight" and "warps"....    not politically correct in today's use of language!

7.  What's the last job you completed or task you performed where you had to work 'like a dog' until it was finished? 

Oh.  Back to question #4:  I do not like to put myself in a situation where I feel stressed for time in doing a task, or that I feel over my head in the task.  So, I truly can not remember the last time I felt that I had to 'work like a dog' to finish something up.   I don't function that way.

8.  My random thought. 

I traveled to Baltimore and back this past weekend.   I went up for a funeral and to see some friends.  I lived in Baltimore back in the late 70's and the early 80's.  I finished college there, got my first real job, and met my hubby there.  We married there.  I have extremely fond memories of the place - and loved my time living in "Charm City."    You know the Miranda Lambert song "The House that Built Me" that says I thought I could go back one more time...I'll take nothing but a memory...?     I rode by my old family house.  It was kinda sad because it looked a bit rundown. But, I pictured in my mind standing out front, and walking out to get the mail, and parking my first car on the grass on the side by the hill, etc.    It was an odd feeling... and a big reminder of the passage of time.

Like I started out saying in this Hodgepodge post, can we just slow down time please?!!



2 comments:

  1. I think a courtesy I would like to see around here is people saying - thank you - instead of no problem. That no problem thingie really drives me batty!

    Every time I go back home, I can't get over how small everything looks - things I thought were so big when I was growing up. I have a google map of my family house (where my parents still live) - and at least once a week, I bring it up and just sit and gaze at it - feeling so nostalgic and homesick!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baltimore has had some rough times in recent years. We saw Woman in Gold...it was good. You've had some great country music this summer. We haven't been to any concerts this year. We had tix to Kenny Chesney, but couldn't make the date/location work with all our comings and goings, so had to say no. It's just been that sort of summer here, but there's always next year : )

    ReplyDelete