Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Wishful thinking...

I'm heading out early tomorrow morning so I won't get this week's Hodgepodge on Joyce's page for sharing with other Hodgepodgers, but I like the questions and will share on Facebook.

1.  What's something you wish you knew how to do but feel it's too late to learn? 

Play the guitar.  I just don't have the patience (and tough fingers) but I wish I could "instantly" know how to play the guitar.  I admire those who can play, and also sing along.  Some of my favorite times are when I can sit and listen to someone who can entertain, and move me, with their voice and guitar. I admire that talent!

2.  Your least favorite thing to shop for? 

For myself:  it would be shoes.  I have big feet (I"m 5'9" so I get that I don't have dainty tiny feet - but  I don't like it anyway.)  I hate seeing cute shoes on display in stores in a size 6 - and then when I ask to see them in a 10....they look totally different!!  Clunky. Heavy. Yucky.  Also, because I am tall I do not like shoes with much of a heel.  I don't want to be taller than I am.  So, that limits my buying options.  It's not fun.

Pants & jeans are my 2nd worst thing to shop for - for the same reason.  I have to get "long" cuts and that limits my choices.

3.  How has the celebration of Thanksgiving today changed from when you were growing up? 

I don't recall big celebrations in our home at Thanksgiving, although I'm sure we always had a nice dinner - with a turkey and all the trimmings.  Christmas was the time we would get together with relatives, and go hang out at Grandma & Grandpa's house.   

As an adult each year Thanksgiving is different - sometimes I travel to family in Ohio, and last year I went to my daughter's place...  and I have stayed at home too.  When I lived out West we had a "Friends-giving" with others who could not be with family members due to distance.   So, I have celebrated many ways... and all have been good.

4.  What's something that when other people see it, it reminds them of you?  Explain.  

This is a toughie.  I suppose when people see pugs they think of me because I have two pug dogs (that are my babies!!)  I get things on Facebook from friends that have anything to do with pugs!   I guess also when people see something about country music they think of me!  They know I am a big fan and love to go to lots of live concerts.

5.  If you could guest star in a TV show, what would it be and why? 

I have been fortunate to sit in the audience of some talk shows.  When I lived about an hour outside of NYC I went with girlfriends to a few shows... including The View, and Live with Regis and Kelly. Years ago we went to Maury too.   But to star in??    A tough question.  I love Jeopardy but would be worried I'd not buzz in on any answers fast enough!  Embarrassing!!


How about... I would like to guess star in "Southern Charm" because it's filmed down the road in Charleston and the people on it are such "characters"!!  They would be fun to meet - and I'd love to go to their "in" spots in the Holy City.

6.  Have you ever farmed or spent time on a farm? Are there farm stands in your little corner of the world - and do you make a point to shop there?  If so, what item do you particularly like to buy from a roadside stand or farm shop? 

I have never lived on a farm.  And, I really haven't spent much time at all on a farm.  It would be enlightening to do it!      Yes, we do have produce stands all over around here.  We have many in the summer that have fresh corn, watermelon, tomatoes, etc.   I should stop and shop at them, but I really don't.    If I did... I would get fresh corn!  We also have fresh shrimp sold on corners here, because we are near the ocean and the shrimpers come in and sell to tourists and local residents.

7.  What's something you've experienced lately that made you feel a sense of awe or wonder? 

Just this past Sunday I played handbells with a group at our local Methodist church (I am Lutheran but help out the ringers at both churches.)  The Methodist choir is large and wonderful!  This past Sunday they sang a piece that gave me goosebumps!  It was beautiful!!!   I then went over to my church and heard my girlfriend sing a beautiful solo during our service.  Again, beautiful - and I was proud of her!   I was "awed" twice last Sunday morning!!

8. My random thought. 

It's just before Thanksgiving, so my thought is that I hope everyone has a safe next couple of days and that the terrorists decide to leave us alone.  May we all be free to celebrate, and to give thanks... and be free of worry!

I also hope for a miracle that the South Carolina Gamecocks can beat their in-state rivals Clemson this Saturday. It's the annual BIG game, and the Gamecocks have won 5 years in a row... and this is REALLY Clemson's season. They are strong and will most likely walk all over Carolina.   I'd love to be able to watch an interesting game... with a close score.  But I doubt it will happen.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!! 

 

3 comments:

  1. Hubs jokes? he's going to guitar camp in retirement : ) Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving...Go TIGERS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome that you played the handbells. Those have always fascinated me.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have family back in Ohio too! Missing them today!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Linda in VA

    ReplyDelete