Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Skating, age, accessories, cheese, eyes, and books. What do they have in common?


I'm back at the Hodgepodge although it seems like such a crazy time right now.  I thought January would be quiet.  Let's just say I was wrong.  I am happy to get to the Hodgepodge questions at this hour, a bit later in the day than usual.  Our leader Joyce starts off with a winter sports question.  Then, let's see where we go!   Shall we proceed?

1.  Skating...when did you last 'skate on thin ice', 'skate over the details', 'encounter a cheapskate', or just plain skate?

I used to really love to ice skate.  In my teens and early 20's I enjoyed it very much and went weekly in cold weather.  Actually, in middle school I belonged to an indoors ice rink.  During high school I skated outdoors at a rink in the parking lot of the old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.   But, Joyce's question isn't about that kind of skating. 

Of the four skating phrases she listed, I last encountered skating on thin ice.  I won't say what went down on Facebook the other evening, but let's just say it wasn't pretty.  I love Facebook most of the time. I love how it connects people, old friends and new.  I love sharing pictures and funny stories.  Occasionally I love a good back and forth on a subject.  But, every once in awhile, when talking about someone's passion...be it religion, or politics, etc. there are some mean spirited things said (typed.) 

I skated on thin ice - and quickly fled the "discussion rink" because it was getting hurtful and people were not showing their best sides.


2. What would you say is the biggest problem of people your age?
 
Good question.  Hmmm.   Biggest problem?    I think a lot of people my age (I'm 59) are thinking of retirement in the near future, and are asking just how to spend out the rest of their lives.   So, a big problem is figuring out how much money it will take - and really how much stuff do you need!   


3. What's your favorite accessory? Is it something you wear every day, often, or only on special occasions?
 
Does jewelry count?  If so, then it would be my rings (wedding and a 20th anniversay) I wear every day. I also wear a necklace - one chain with 3 "charms" on it:  a cross, a heart, and a Palmetto tree (for South Carolina.) 
 
A non-jewelry accessory?  I have a soft multi-colored knitted scarf for cold weather. It goes with everything I wear. It helps yo keep me warm.


4. January 20th is National Cheese Lover's Day. Are you a lover of cheese? What's your favorite dish made with cheese? Last thing you ate that contained some kind of cheese? 
 
 I love, love, love cheese!  All kinds!   Favorite dish with it?  Homemade mac and cheese - Nannie's recipe.  I love that my daughter makes it now.  Last dish that I made with it?  Remember, I do not cook often... so I put cheese on recent salads I ate, and I also sprinkled parm cheese on my Stouffer's Spaghetti dish I had the other night. 

Sometimes I just eat cheese and crackers with some wine for an easy meal.   (Don't judge me. I don't cook.) 


5. What's something guaranteed to make you roll your eyes? 
 
You probably just rolled your eyes at my "no cooking" statement above.  lol
 
Oh my.  How to answer without hurting feelings?   I roll my eyes at too many things.  Believe me. I continue to work on it.      Here's one:    The people with road rage, darting in and out of traffic, in a hurry to get somewhere.  

6. Your favorite book series
 
I am not really a "book series" reader.  If I like an author I will read more than one of the books he/she wrote, but more for the reading/writing style than the continuing story.    I am not into sci-fi books and some of them are popular series now.   So, I guess I'll have to reach way back to Nancy Drew.  You know, I wouldn't mind reading a few of them now - for old times sake! 
7. Why did you choose your profession? 
 
Another good question!  I look forward to reading other Hodgepodge friends' answers.  
I didn't really choose my profession, as much as it chose me.  I was a Mass Communications major in college though, so I knew I wanted to do something in that field.  I can't remember just how but I got an internship in the fall of my senior year -  with a rather large radio station in Baltimore.  I took the internship very seriously, and I worked hard, but I also loved the people I worked for.  So, thankfully, I got hired after my internship finished.  I actually had one more semester of school to go, so for 4 months I worked and finished up my degree at the same time.  I was fortunate that I did not have to job hunt after graduation!  

I continued on in radio & TV - full-time, then to part-time, until my children became my priority - and my husband's career was moving us around the country.

8. Insert your own random thought here. 
 
We all have difficult periods in life, where it seems unexplained deaths happen to those we know and love - and where, even with great effort and high hopes, you can't stop bad things from happening.  It seems 2016 is starting out that way here.  I realize we all  have highs and lows. I know life just goes that way sometimes.  

So, we turn to each other, to God in prayer,  and look for ways to bring back harmony and some peace.  

That's what I'm doing right now.   I await Spring and nature's newness.  

Stay warm and safe friends.

7 comments:

  1. We answered the "biggest problem" question just about the same!
    I'm looking forward to seeing why people chose their profession, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. when I was younger, loved the Trixie belden books

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your answers today. I've often thought about those old Nancy Drew books, too, and wondered if they'd be as good today :)
    I've been spending less time on Facebook, for the very reason you talked about in your answer, among others.
    Enjoy the rest of this "chilly" week! Kathy (from Reflections by Kathy)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope 2016 takes a turn for the better. I loved Nancy Drew books too. I still own a couple. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read Nancy Drew in ages, but you mentioning them here kind of makes me want to go back and re-read. They used to scare me to death : ) I can definitely do a cheese and cracker dinner too. It does feel like it's been one thing after another this year. I can't decide if it's our age, or something else. I know I've got a long prayer list. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping 2016 takes a better turn for you Prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On Facebook I try to remain neutral on those subjects. Yes we are in that stage of figuring things out for retirement. We are a touch older than you right now. I can relate to your random. Keeping you in my prayers. I have a post tomorrow about our season of change here at our house. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete