Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Back at it... after a week away. This week: expectations, nature, foolishness.

I took a week off from the Hodgepodge while I had some family visiting, and I got myself ready for Easter. 

But, it's back for a new week - and so am I !!   Read on, and please feel free to respond here or on Facebook.

1. What are two or three expectations you have of yourself?

I have many expectations, but the first three that pop into my head are...

1. to be an honest person.  Once you start lying I think it gets easier. Once you start lying you have a much more complicated life.  Once you start lying you play games, and feel guilt.    And, I don't want to live my life that way. 

2.  to stay as 'up' as I possibly can.  I have suffered with down days in my past, but I make it a point to see the sunny side of life much better now, and to be joyful about today, and the future. 

And, 3.  to give back.   I am blessed with so much that I really do feel a responsibility to give back.  I enjoy giving back, and I feel I am called to represent a good Christian.  (Unfortunately, there are so many false or fake ones out there.)   I give because He gives to me. 

2. In what way does your outdoor space need sprucing up this spring?

Well, this morning I just bought a big ole bag of 'weed and feed' for the front yard!  Tell me, how is it that weeds feel the first warmth of spring's sun and flourish?  My yard is more weeds than grass right now.    In general, I try to stay on top of my 'outdoor space' and clean, prune, and weed all the time.  And (I have written about this before) yes,  yard work is something I enjoy doing, and I love being outside with nature.

3. According to this site (Roadtrippers), six of North America's most wondrous waterfalls are-Webster's Falls in Ontario, Upper Whitewater Falls in North Carolina, Havasu Falls in the Grand Canyon, Multnomah Falls in Oregon, The Lower Yellowstone Falls, and Niagara.  Have you seen any on the list? Which one on the list would you most like to visit? Prettiest waterfall not on the list that you've seen in person?

I am surprised at the fact that I have only seen one of the waterfalls listed above.  I saw Niagara Falls as a kid.  That is it. But,  I have seen some beautiful waterfalls in Hawaii, and I have seen them in the fiords of Norway.

Of those on the list above, I think I should work on going to see the Upper Whitewater Falls in North Carolina, because I live easily within a day's drive to it. 

4. Looking back, what's something you wish you'd done as a teenager?

I had my sister visiting me last week and we did some reminiscing about our teen years at home; our years growing up together.  We had some laughs about it.  But, I really can't think of anything I wish I had done as a teenager that I never got the chance to do.  I was pretty content with my life.  I am fortunate to feel that way. 

5. Ham...yes please or no thank you? If you said yes please which of the following do you like best-baked ham with all the trimmings, a ham and cheese sandwich, prosciutto with melon, a ham biscuit, a bowl of split pea and ham soup, or a slice of pizza topped with ham and pineapple?



Oh, definitely yes, please!! I love ham!  We had some for Easter - spiral-sliced, and glazed.  Along with all the trimmings.  It was delicious!!  Of the choices above, I will say I love it baked with all the trimmings best.  My second choice is having a warm ham biscuit.  I think it's more of a southern thing.   If you haven't tried it, you should.  Yum!!

6. Are you typical of your generation? How so?

Tough question.  I think I am NOT typical of others of my age in that I try to stay 'in tune' with what is happening in the younger generations.  My daughters and their friends help keep me that way. (But I suppose others like me feel the same.)  I am determined to stop myself from 'being old'...acting old.  I want to go out - have fun.  There is something very freeing about having your kids raised, and being able to experience things without worry.

I do NOT want to be 'set in my ways.' I suppose some people reading this are laughing right now.  Because, of course, I am set in my ways on certain things.  But, I TRY to be open, and to be giving, accepting, and forgiving. 

Am I like others of my generation?   Some yes - some no.

7. April rolls in at the end of the week, and in keeping with that theme...'act the fool', 'nobody's fool' 'a fool's errand', 'could have fooled me'...which foolish idiom most recently applies to you?


Recently?   ha.  How about 'always'?  I think I don't always get when I am being fooled by somebody else.   So, which idiom is it?  'Could have fooled me?'   I am gullible. I take people at their word. I expect people to follow through on what they say they will do.  


8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I hope everyone had a nice Easter day!  I love the Easter season so much more than the Christmas season.  Anybody else like me?  I love that it does not have the same expectations, food orgy, presents to buy, cards to send, etc.  It's about the event... the fact that Jesus, the son of God, conquered death - for us all.   The lead up is very different, obviously.  And, I like that.   Easter is such a joyous day! 


4 comments:

  1. I agree with what you wrote about Easter...I love celebrating that Christ is Risen without all the pressure that Christmas brings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Easter too, glad you had a good day. The pollen is nuts here, but I love seeing a lot more of the spring season than we ever had in NJ. March was a hard month in the Garden State : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. totally agree with you about Easter.

    ReplyDelete