Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Hodgepodge questions and my answers

Hello everyone! I hope you had a really nice Memorial Day weekend!  It's important to take time and remember why we have Monday as a national holiday, and to think about all those who have given the ultimate sacrifice for us and our lifestyles.   We also get to enjoy a three day weekend at the start of warm weather (in many parts of the country), and for me it's truly a celebration of the start of my favorite time of year!

Now, as to the Hodgepodge questions for the week...  here they are, along with my answers.

1.  What question do you often ask yourself? 

"Why can't we all just get along?"      That's defintely it.   I know we all have individual beliefs and interests, and we have been raised differently and live in different parts of the world.  That's what makes life interesting!  Right?  Can't we accept these differences, and just get along?  

2.  Do you grow roses?  What is your favorite color of rose?  Ever been given a dozen roses?  where was the prettiest rose garden you remember seeing? 

I have a few rose bushes around my house.  I do like them - but I don't think they were planted in the right spot.  I have 3 rose plants in the backyard and they just don't get enough sun.  Maybe one of these days I will transfer them to the front yard where I think they will do better.   My favorite color?   It's called the "sonya rose"....a pinky peach color.  When I was in college I used to work in a florist and I got to take home flowers that were just a little too old to sell...and whenever I could, I took home the sonya roses!  It was a nice little perk of working in the business!  I have a wonderful hubby who remembers special occasions with roses, so yes, I have received dozens of roses over the years.   Prettiest garden?   I love gardens but I can't think of a strickly rose garden - but I hear there's a beautiful one at the White House!  If memory serves me right it was put in by Lady Bird Johnson.

3.  Do you read the freshness dates on grocery store products?  Will you use eggs past their "use by" date?  Take medication that's expired?  Buy a dented can? 

I do read the freshness dates, especially for milk and bread.   I may use eggs a few days past the "use by" date, but not much beyond.  And I try not to buy a dented can.  I worry about bacteria in it.  (Or, is that an old wives tale??)   As for medication, yes, I will use them past the expiration date because I think if anything is different it's just lost some of it's potency.  

4.  Should athletes be role models? 

This is a loaded question!   I think anyone who is in the public's eye has a responsible (and should have a desire) to present themselves in the best light they can.  It is a choice to take on a job, or play a sport, or work in politics, that puts your name and face in front of the media - and therefore, in front of people, including children!   With it, comes the responsibility.  I know many don't want it... or say they didn't "sign up" to be an open book.  But, it's reality...and it can't be denied.   I wish more of them would see it as an "opportunity" and relish the fact that they can show good sportsmanship and be a person of high morals.

5.  Edmund Hillary of New Zealand and Tenzing Norgay of Nepal became the first explorers to reach the top of Mt. Everest on May 29th back in 1953 - what's something you hope to achieve in your lifetime?

This is an interesting question because I think my hope on what I want to achieve has changed throughout my lifetime, as I have aged.  I think as a young adult I wanted to be successful and remembered for doing something BIG that would change the world, and make it better.  Children and young adults are taught that they can do anything and achieve what they set their hearts and minds to do.  but, as we age, it becomes realistic that we all can't all be scientists that discover a cure, or an amazing singer or musician leaving a timeless song, or we can't lead change the political tone and bring justice to the world.  BUT...my hope now is that I can do MY PART and feel I did my best.  That I can love and give - and have no regrets.  

6.  What would you do if you had 20 acres of land and the money to develop it any way you choose? 

This follows the last question well.  Why?  Because my ideas of what I want to do with my life - and how to use precious land - has changed over time.   So, now, I think I would leave that land alone and keep the natural beauty there.  Oh - yes, it would be nice to build a hospital for the uninsured, or a food kitchen for the hungry - worthy causes.  Perhaps I would use part of the 20 acres for that.  But, my love for God's world has grown and I cherish the beauty of nature too.

7.  If I invited you to a party with a 7pm start time, what time will I actually see you there? 

Depends on the type of "party"!   If it's a party given for a guest of honor, or a surprise, then getting there at 7pm is important. If it's a party for friends, like Book Club or an in-home sales party & demonstration (trunk shows, Tupperware, baskets, etc.) then again arriving right on time is expected.  But, sometimes if it's a different event then I would probably arrive ten minutes after 7pm...in hopes of not being first, and giving the host time to have everything ready.

8. My random thought.

Anybody else out there going through some withdrawal without "American Idol" and "Dancing with the stars" on TV??  I guess I have my evenings back... but I do enjoy those shows.  I haven't gotten into "The Voice" as much... and don't watch any other contest shows.   Thankfully the evenings are lovely now. I don't need to turn the TV on.

Have a good week!


5 comments:

  1. I googled the can thing, because I was wondering too if that was some kind of wive's tale...most advise not to buy dented cans due to the risk of botulism. They say particularly sharply dented cans or anything with a dent near the lip. Slightly dented cans are likely okay, but I'd rather not risk it.

    We like The Voice...I've become a fan of Shakira. She is adorable on the show. I like all the judges and there is great talent in the contestants. We also watch less TV in the summertime...we sit out back and watch our firepit most evenings. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm missing American Idol too. The Voice is so much better this season with Shakira and Usher. For us, it was a welcome addition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reason for not buying dented cans is also my reason. I'm glad Joyce looked it up! We don't have cable, but I will admit that when we decided to turn it off American Idol was the one show that I missed. Good question that you ask yourself...I wonder that, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who says the Hodgepodge is nothing but silly ramblings? Now I know not to ever buy dented cans again! See, all the things my mama never taught me! ;-) have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good question for this world and also inside my house! My husband feels that way about medications, he says their is no way they expire on that date. Good answer for #6. I haven't watched those two shows this year but I have been watching the voice. Until I stopped watching Idol I had a hard time getting into it too. Now I really like it. Big Brother is coming the end of June...my all time favorite show.

    ReplyDelete