Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Choices...

I noticed that Joyce's questions for the Hodgepodge today have to do with making choices.  I guess making choices is what makes life interesting!

1.  What lesson has failure taught you? 

Failure has taught me a few lessons for sure, but most importantly I have learned that whatever went wrong is not going to be the end of the world.  Tomorrow still comes.  People move on.  If something I tried failed I know it was worth the effort, and not to be upset with myself for long.  In a few days or so it's usually forgotten.   Time heals.

2.  What decision are you glad you made? 

You mean beside the decision to marry my hubby?  And the decision to have my children?   Those are the top two!  Another decision I was happy I made was to stay home with my daughters as they were growing up.  I was fortunate that we had enough money as a one-income family, so I was able to be with my children, and I was able to get involved at their schools.  Absolutely no regrets!

3.  Tell the truth: is your tree up and decorated, and if so when did it happen?  If not when will you be decking the halls? 

No - no - no! I am a "one holiday at a time" person!  My Christmas tree will not go up until after December 1st.  I like to wait until the start of Advent.  At least I understand (sort of) how stores decorate early to get people thinking about buying gifts, but why we have to follow suit I do not get!? My neighborhood put up the Christmas lights at the entrance gates over a week ago. When I first saw them go up I thought it was for convenience but surely they would not be lit up yet! Well - they were!

I love Christmas lights but if they go up so early it loses some of the magic by December 25th.  My opinion.  And, I like to keep the tree & lights up through the season of Christmas.  There are 12 days of Christmas, starting on the 25th.  So I don't un-decorate until after the new year.

4.  Solitaire - Poker - Rummy - Hearts - Go Fish - Old Maid...   which game of cards would you most like to join? 

I don't play cards on a regular basis, but I always enjoy a game of Hearts.  For family fun around the table we sometimes play Dominoes.  Not as much thought! ha!!

5.  When feeling stressed do you snack a lot or are you more the 'can't eat' type? 

I have been blessed to have an internal switch that doesn't let me over-eat or binge eat very often. So, I have never used food as a stress release or for some other deeper psychological need.  Basically I just don't feel good when I stuff myself and it's not worth it.  So, I don't.

6.  Have you ever reviewed a product or service on line?  Was your review favorable or less than favorable? 

Thinking back the only thing I have taken time on line to review is some new music videos.  I was on a list of people that got sent new videos that CMT was considering for air, usually from new artists.  I would watch the videos and then respond to questions about it...questions like if it was appropriate for the country music channel, if I liked the story line, if I would enjoy seeing it numerous times, etc.  

7.  What was the best conversation you had yesterday? 

I am writing this on Tuesday, so yesterday (Monday) was a day I stayed home and cleaned, and worked on making signs for a church festival this Saturday.  I practiced my flute, walked the dogs, etc.  But I was not involved in any deep conversations yesterday.  My hubby flew up to Boston... so I guess my best conversation of the day came last night as he, both our daughters, and I were all texting together during the Panthers-Patriots game.    Texting counts, right??    ( :

8.  My random thought. 

This is nothing new for those who know me:  I had a lovely day yesterday because Mother Nature decided to bring summer back temporarily and I was back in my shorts and flip flops! I opened the house windows and took the dogs on two nice long walks.   It was beautiful - and my mood was practically euphoric.  Saying that, I realize I am considered shallow because weather effects me so much.   Today:  back to chilly temps and it's going to be windy later.   Ugh.     Weather-related:  My thoughts are with those in the mid-West, especially Illinois, who are now homeless from the tornado activity.   And in the Phillipines...   oh my, Mother Nature can certainly be devastating at times.

8 comments:

  1. You were in shorts and flip-flops? I am SO jealous! For about the past 2-3 weeks, I've been living in sweatshirts...I can't seem to warm up! I agree with you...the destruction left behind from those tornadoes is just heart-breaking, especially at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think texting counts. That's the only conversations I sometimes get with my girls as they neither live at home any more. So any conversation is good conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just like you and the Christmas goes up in the month of december!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with you about the lights going on too early. The first of November is too early in my opinion. So is the 20th : ) Texting definitely counts! We have some great conversations via text, and I especially love the ones where it's all four of us going back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, texting counts! My best friend here will often text me her prayers for me and scripture... and I love it because I can go back and re-read them and they encourage me all over again! And I'm with you on the xmas lights - although when we lived in Idaho sometimes we would have to put them up early due to snow or ice storms in the forecast... but we wouldn't turn them on until December.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neighbors up the street put up lights a week before Halloween. I about got my panties in a wad over it when I drove past. But how silly to waste emotional energy on that, I finally reasoned. I, too, feel too dependent on weather to temper my mood. It makes me irritable and fatigued to be cold or when the sun is hiding. Btw, i already cleaned out my closetM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our answers are similar ... again. :) Texting totally counts! If it weren't for texting, I might not have a conversation with my boys for weeks! Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Texting totally counts! Thanks for visiting my blog. Thanks for making me smile with your answers. Blessings

    ReplyDelete