Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Hodgepodge is aging - and so are we!

This week's Hodgepodge has us thinking of birthdays and aging.  Our Hodgepodge hostess Joyce has a birthday very soon so she posed some questions about it for us all.  

Read on and feel free to comment at the end.

1.  Joyce is celebrating a birthday this week so a question relating to aging feels appropriate. Douglas MacArthur is quoted as saying "you are as young as your faith, as old as your doubt; as young as your self confidence, as old as your fear; as young as your hope, as old as your despair. Would you agree?  If not, why? 

We can't change aging, but we can change HOW we age.  There is a true connection between our physical and emotional self.  So, yes, I agree with Douglas MacArthur and I think that a positive attitude can keep you active and feeling young.    I have a little sign by my bathroom mirror that says "Forget your age, live your life"  because I think often people think they are supposed to 'act' old when their age is 'up there.'  

Have faith, self-confidence, and hope - and life can be awesome at any age!  

2.  What remarkable feat, interesting piece of trivia, or historical event occurred on your birth day and month?  Not necessarily in your birth year, just the same day/same month. 

Well, first I looked up historical events and there were a bunch… but I prefer to go with these two interesting sports facts.  First, the game of basketball was invented by Canadian James Naismith on December 15th, 1891.  Then, on December 15th, 1973 NCAA teams Tennessee and Temple played each other a whole game and the final score was 11 - 6.  Basketball!!!  Crazy! I can't even imagine that low of a score.  Both teams must have had awesome defense - or both were  just terribly bad!  ha!

3.  Describe a time or circumstance where you wanted to 'have your cake and eat it too.'

When I think of this expression I think it means to get everything you want and more… right?   Well, I can't think of one time or circumstance in particular.  I suppose we all live with hopes of things going the right way…and I have been fortunate to have my life like that.  In a way to want your cake & eat it too seems a bit selfish.  So, it makes it a hard question to answer.  I have wanted my daughters to grow up happy and successful…  and I have gotten my wish answered.  I'm proud of the young adults that they have become.   How's that?

4. What's something that makes you feel young? Something that makes you feel old? 

I feel young when I go to music concerts!  I love the live experience! I dance, and bee-bop - and thoroughly enjoy the experience!     I feel old when I have trouble keeping up with new technology, but I TRY!!  I also feel old when I remember back to "how it used to be" before the technology.

5.  When did you last do something that was a "piece of cake."

It's easier to think of things that are NOT a piece of cake: like golfing!   Ha!   Playing my flute is not a piece of cake. I need to practice just to keep up…but I like playing in the community band so I keep at it.

6. Beef, wine, and cheese all improve with age.  What's something else you'd add to that list?  (not necessarily food or beverage.) 

Faith,  Self assurance.   Music - that can withstand the test of time.  Great classics…      If Joyce is asking about "things" that improve with age…then some furniture and some cars can improve with age.  They can become more valuable.

7.  If I were to have a giveaway when we hit Volume 200, what should I give away?   By my calculations we'll hit Volume 200 on November 26th, the day before Thanksgiving, which means  whoever wins have whatever it is in time for Christmas. 

Joyce, how about a Christmas tree ornament?   A personalized Hodgepodge one!!  Or how about giving the winner the opportunity to create a list of Hodgepodge questions…. if they want to do it.  (You might enjoy the break! )  

8.   My random thought. 

Speaking of birthdays… my hubby has a milestone (60th) birthday coming up very soon.  I'm looking for a "creative gift" for him.  Anybody have ideas?     Send me an email at mfabiansc@hotmail.com.

My post before this one is my thoughts on the Ray Rice abuse scandal and the good, the bad, and the ugly of all the coverage.  I know everyone has an opinion on it.  So, read on…and if you want to add your "two cents" feel free too.  Our sermon this past Sunday at church was about forgiveness and reaching out to help our fellowman.  We are so easy to "condemn" behavior…and to punish.    But, who does that help?




5 comments:

  1. Yes I agree that music concerts make me feel young. Faith and self assurance do get better with age. Happy 60th to you husband. We did that almost 3 years ago......

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of ours had a life size poster made of her hubs -it was cut out so looked like him standing there, like what you see on displays in stores, if that helps explain it. She designed it so he was holding a list and it was 60 fun/interesting/cool facts about him, things he's done in his life, places he's been, accomplishments, quirks : ) I thought it was really a cute idea and very personal.

    Ray Rice. Sad but holy moly the media has been on overkill. It has not been the best month PR wise for the NFL, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you know that I love concerts, too! In fact, this Friday, I'm heading to see Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood! WOOT WOOT! For your hubby's birthday, how about contacting 60 (or more!) important people from childhood, college, etc. that have meant a lot to him and ask them to senda card with a favorite memory of him. I did that for Chris on his 50th...he loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you for sticking with the flute and playing in the community band!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love good music that has stood the test of time! Some of the best, in my opinion, is from the 60's and 70's.
    Good for you, playing flute in the community band! Our 35 year old daughter took violin lessons last year.
    Sorry, I don't have any creative birthday ideas to offer...

    ReplyDelete