Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Welcome to Fall...

It's Tuesday, and it's the official first full day of Autumn, also called Fall… so our leader, Joyce, has given us questions about this time of year, and questions using the word "fall."   Play along… and fall in love with the Hodgepodge like I have!

1.  It's Fall. Y'all!  My favorite season of the year!  What's something you love to do this time of year that makes you feel it's officially Fall?  And unrelated to that, do you ever say y'all?

To clarify things, this is Joyce's favorite time of the year!  It's not mine…. and for those that know me, or have read some posts from way back when, you know I struggle with Fall and winter.  I'm a warm weather person.  I like summer activities vs. winter ones.  I start feeling holiday stress in the Fall… and sometimes would prefer to just slide right over November, December, and for that matter January and February.    Sad but true.

So, it's important for my sanity to think of the good things of this time of year, and to enjoy them.  So, thanks for the question Joyce.  Here are things that I do enjoy and that make it officially Fall.  Football. Less humidity.     2 things - ha!  Better than nothing.  

As for saying "y'all" - yes I do!  I live in South Carolina and it is common here!  Y'all know it's friendly, and inclusive…. and southern!

2.  When did you last have a falling out with someone?   Has it been resolved. 

I rarely have a falling out.  Thankfully.   I hate to even think of the ones I have had in the past because it's not important anymore, and I have done my best to forgive and move on.  

3.  A song you love with the word fall in it's title? 

Right off the bat I am thinking of "The Boys of Fall" by Kenny Chesney.   It's a song he wrote about his love of football.  It's a great video too so if you haven't seen it, look it up.   If you are a football fan, you will love this video!

4.  What's something you've recently let fall by the wayside? 

Oh dear…   the answer to this question is regular exercising.   I need to get back into it - especially since colder weather is upon us and I don't do as much outdoors to keep myself active.   I need to get back into aerobic exercise (treadmilling)  AND some small weight-lifting to stay toned.  

5.  When did you last attend an event, read a book, watch a movie, try a new recipe, or visit a shop - town - tourist attraction that 'fell' short of your expectations?  In what way? 

I don't know why I'm having a tough time with this question but I am.  There are lots of movies that I have seen once and "once is enough."   Most books I read have some value to them.  I don't cook.   And places I have shopped or visited have been fine.  Perhaps I just don't have high expectations! ha!  

So…  hmmm…     I'll have to get back to you on this one.  

6.  Describe a time you said or thought, "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree." 

Well, I usually say the nut doesn't fall far from the tree!  It's usually about something funny or some little quirk a person does…and it's usually one of my family members!  I mean if I'm going to say something like that it's usually because I have first-hand experience.  I have said it about my sister and sis-in-laws because we tend to take on some of our mothers' attributes, whether we want to or not.  I have said it about my own daughters BUT only in a positive way - of course!!!    I like to take credit for their musical interests - and their Dad can take credit for their scholarly ways!   It's all good.

7.  Was today better than yesterday?  Why or why not? 

Well, as I type this my day is just starting.   It's rainy outside.   I have a busy day planned ahead of me … heading to the chiropractor, running errands, and then I have a flute choir rehearsal, and my neighborhood Book Club get-together tonight.  It's going to be a good day ahead.    But busy.  Yesterday, was sunny and I stayed home ALL day doing laundry, a bit of cleaning, organizing after the weekend.  So, the days are different…  not one better than the other.

8. My random thought. 

As I was watching some of my "mind-less fun" shows on TV last night (DWTS and The Voice - I was flipping back & forth), a news bulletin came on saying the US has started air combat to get rid of ISIS (ISIL).   Every time I hear the US has actively started something like this I get a bit nervous.  I worry about war escalating.  Retaliation.   The world getting more chaotic.  

But… yesterday, during the regular evening news (I usually try to watch at 6:30pm… I don't watch the "all news, all the time" channels because it is too much time, and too much chatter with little facts) I saw the report on CBS about the women and children fleeing their homes in Syria… mothers carrying babies, walking with young children - across desert land.  It broke my heart.  I can't even imagine having to up and leave behind all you have, carrying babies… not knowing where you can lay them down safely at night.  

So, as much as I hate the US getting into war situations, I pray we target ONLY the bad guys - and make the land there safe for the people of that land that just want to live a safe and happy life.  We as fellow citizens of the world need to help.

Heavy random thought…  

Sorry.      Enjoy your little piece of the world today and this week!   See you here for the Hodgepodge again next time!     Happy Fall!


5 comments:

  1. I am on track with my exercising, but the housework not so much : ) Fall is so gorgeous here, which makes the winter a little easier to take. I hope things are going better for your teacher daughter. All teachers I know are a little tired right about now. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This whole war situation worries me, too. The thought of innocent people being severly injured or killed just hurts my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love Fall and wish it lasted longer. I am sooo with you about the war and the people who are subjected to such evil. I pray for the ones who are having to leave. It is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete